• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ponga is just a truly exceptional player and this video only further accentuates that fact.

Although he is going to league (and staying for the moment), he would be, in my opinion, far more effective in union. League is effectively a line of defenders and set play off every tackle, whereas union creates much more open space through more free play that opens opportunities to roam through the field as is shown in this video.

wait until you see him play rugby league then... you would be suprised

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Ponga is just a truly exceptional player and this video only further accentuates that fact.

Although he is going to league (and staying for the moment), he would be, in my opinion, far more effective in union. League is effectively a line of defenders and set play off every tackle, whereas union creates much more open space through more free play that opens opportunities to roam through the field as is shown in this video.

It would be a crime if this guy isn't in the Olympics 7s team at some point in his career.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Did anybody get down to the Gt-Bshs game?

Will Rafter did, I hear it was a 2 point nailbiter. Gorilla, just by the way, do you remember the Terrace score against Nudgee? Twitter tells me it was 25-17, but my maths tells me it was 29-17..

Nudgee College 29 (Tries: Gavin Luka, Tyrone Hussey, Franklin Calugay, Eli Pilz Conversions: Liam Moseley (3/4), Penalties: Liam Moseley (1/1)
Gregory Terrace 17 (Tries: Nick Weller, Nikau Te-Rupe, Conversions: Alex Horan (2/2), Penalties: Alex Horan (1/1)

rugbyhead01

Stan Wickham (3)
Didn't get to see any games this week. But I would say the whole Churchie team just about deserves nomination across the 15. That second half that was posted, gee whiz. Footwork, flick passing, strong lines, crazy talented backline, I don't think individually there would be many better. Lets not forget the diggers in the forwards that are letting the fancy lads do their stuff either, they did well to keep Grammar out of it completely with all the time near the line they had. But obviously that weekends game was one for the backs from the highlights.

will connor

Frank Row (1)
Will Rafter did, I hear it was a 2 point nailbiter. Gorilla, just by the way, do you remember the Terrace score against Nudgee? Twitter tells me it was 25-17, but my maths tells me it was 29-17..

Nudgee College 29 (Tries: Gavin Luka, Tyrone Hussey, Franklin Calugay, Eli Pilz Conversions: Liam Moseley (3/4), Penalties: Liam Moseley (1/1)
Gregory Terrace 17 (Tries: Nick Weller, Nikau Te-Rupe,Conversions: Alex Horan (2/2), Penalties: Alex Horan (1/1)

The score, according to the GPS website 25-17. I believe Moseley made one of the 4 conversions.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Gregory Terrace 17 (Tries: Nick Weller, Nikau Te-Rupe,Conversions: Alex Horan (2/2), Penalties: Alex Horan (1/1)

I understand that all the Ponga hype is truly justified and well deserved, I have not yet seen ACGS school play, but if he has been a lot better than Weller he must be a truly a super player.

I can only imagine what Weller could have done this season in AGCS number 15

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
This weekend will be the last game of QLD GPS rugby for 2014.
For some of the Yr 12 boys, this will complete and finalise their rugby careers with their school and mean that the have to make some tough decisions with regard to their future Rugby and Lifestyle choices. Some of the boys have played rugby for more than half their lifetime with the same school and the weekend will provide the final chapter.
Good luck to all on the weekend and ensure you enjoy every moment.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Kepu
"Although he is going to league (and staying for the moment), he would be, in my opinion, far more effective in union. League is effectively a line of defenders and set play off every tackle, whereas union creates much more open space through more free play that opens opportunities to roam through the field as is shown in this video.[/quote]"

My Dear Kepu

I think you are right and after his 1st year in NRL under 20 -none other than Josh Bowen would agree with you.tough 1st year at Broncos for him.

He would also tell young Ponga"quick put 10 more kilos on because it is a straight line of defence and they hit hard"

We are all lucky to see 2 brilliant ball running fulbacks for last 2 years.The GT fullback was hot as well.
Who is next years freewheeling number 15?

the King will know.

Rugby Basics

Frank Row (1)
Big disappointment watching the U14a Terrace v BSHS on Saturday. Don't understand how a team that can play like they played against Nudgee the week before can play so poorly the week after. There seemed to be a lot of changes within the team from the previous week and from what I saw it clearly didn't work. Why would the coach be making any changes from a team that nearly caused the upset of the U14a comp.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Kepu
"Although he is going to league (and staying for the moment), he would be, in my opinion, far more effective in union. League is effectively a line of defenders and set play off every tackle, whereas union creates much more open space through more free play that opens opportunities to roam through the field as is shown in this video.
"

My Dear Kepu

I think you are right and after his 1st year in NRL under 20 -none other than Josh Bowen would agree with you.tough 1st year at Broncos for him.

He would also tell young Ponga"quick put 10 more kilos on because it is a straight line of defence and they hit hard"

We are all lucky to see 2 brilliant ball running fulbacks for last 2 years.The GT fullback was hot as well.
Who is next years freewheeling number 15?

the King will know.[/quote]
From what I've seen, Roberson from IGS will be the premier #15 in 2015. Speed, agility, power, & timing.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
"
From what I've seen, Roberson from IGS will be the premier #15 in 2015. Speed, agility, power, & timing.

Hard to predict considering the likelihood of boatloads of new students with considerable rugby skill arriving at each school at the start of 2015.

Geoffrey Robertson has some hot feet, but I haven't had a chance to see much of him since the GPS trials earlier this year.

Nick Weller is probably one of the quickest players in the comp this year, but I haven't seen any of the incredible footwork shown by Matt Marsden in 2012 (Placid too, but Marsden was damn freaky with his feat), Bowen, and now Ponga.

2014 BGS wing Oli Fison is my dark horse to become the next electric fullback of the competition. He's got some great burst off the mark, and is just bloody elusive. With the BGS rugby budget presumably set to rise considerably over the christmas holidays after two consecutive 9th placings, I'd wager that Coach Emtage will have a much improved forward pack and a proper premiership quality flyhalf, for the first time since Sam Greene graduated - and it will give young Fison every chance to make his mark on the competition.

On a side note, who is Brodie Croft's wing partner for the Churchie First XV?

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
On a side note, who is Brodie Croft's wing partner for the Churchie First XV?

Ben Ogilvie is the other Churchie winger.

My 2015 fullback pick is Jayden Ngamanu from BBC - or Moseley from NC if he's' not playing #10.

Great effort boys with the match reviews while exams etc were on, always a good read

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Big disappointment watching the U14a Terrace v BSHS on Saturday. Don't understand how a team that can play like they played against Nudgee the week before can play so poorly the week after. There seemed to be a lot of changes within the team from the previous week and from what I saw it clearly didn't work. Why would the coach be making any changes from a team that nearly caused the upset of the U14a comp.

Maybe because there were several concussions/injuries from that Nudgee game, as well as a sick player who still played in the game. Not to mention a concussion early ended the game for the GT #10.

Taking that into account, there was just one change not forced on the team by injury.

I

iceman

Maybe because there were several concussions/injuries from that Nudgee game, as well as a sick player who still played in the game. Not to mention a concussion early ended the game for the GT #10.

Taking that into account, there was just one change not forced on the team by injury.
The concussed 10 normally plays at 9 for GT and it was his first game at 10 all season, to be fair he struggled to defend in an unfamiliar channel, the normal classy inside backs combination for GT were broken up this week with the 12 unvailable through concussion from the Nudgee game and the normal Flyhalf playing at halfback against BSHS , that caused some major defensive lapses in the inside back channel for GT, that BSHS took full advantage of...the GT forwards were a little off their game and were dominated at set piece

Status
Not open for further replies.