• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
I believe it's former TGS coach Jason Gilmore in charge of the First XV, with Nucifora in the director of rugby role, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Otherwise, spot on mate. This looks like it just might not be Ogilvie's year. I've only seen him twice, mind you, but in a backline with as much spark and X factor as Churchie's I just don't think there will be a place for him.

I'll tell you what though, I can not wait for Churchie to play BBC. If both teams can maintain a clean sheet injury-wise it should be a really good hit out, as two chock a block backlines of league players (assumedly familiar with each other's games) go head to head.

This should be a fantastic year for the competition IMO. Once again the inside backs look really, really awesome, a position group that should be really competitive.

Terrace - Horan, Roycroft, Te Rupe
BBC - Ikitau, Foulds, Nanai
Churchie - Mason, Sua/Perese
Nudgee - Moseley, Pritchard, Smith
TSS - Dorrough, Riley, Fittock
BSHS - Smit, Henjak, Patrick
TGS - Stewart, (unidentified South Australian import), and Dean Bender
IGS - Hammond, Page, Raeli

BGS look like the only unsettled inside back combination. I hear plenty of boys were missing from that trial squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, I knew Nucifora had something to do with Churchie Rugby, but on second thought I now remember that Gilmore is the coach.

Also, I've only seen Te Rupe play once before, and he had little impact on GTs performance (didn't live up to my expectations).

What are his strengths/credentials? (anyone?)

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Don't think TSS will trouble too many of the gun sides this year. Watched Scots College whip them 41 to zip this arvo down at Bond Uni. Outplayed across the park.
Admitedly the teams are at different stages of their seasons but TSS showed very little in attack and full of holes in defence.
Churchie director of rugby was having quite a chuckle.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Possibly, I think Lazarus had blood bin stint on the field last year, as did Helms. He'll need to get some condition.

Lazarus never got a run in the firsts last year, and most likely wont this year. Has been out for over 2 months and wont recover in time to catch up on fitness and strength work.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/schoolboy-rugby-a-modest-proposal/

This would be an interesting concept for Brisbane, with promotion and relegation from a top tier of footy to a secondary tier.

Would any AIC teams knock off a GPS team now that we all openly give sporting scholarships?

EDIT: thought I'd drop these in here.

Nudgee (#1 in GPS) vs Iona (#1 in AIC)
VS

BBC (#3 in GPS) vs Marist (#3 in AIC (couldn't find AIC #2 highlights))
vs

I've included TSS here as well, because they were incredible in 2013 -

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Doubtful. The best AIC team playing their best rugby at their peak of their season would be lucky to get within 20 points of a GPS team at the same time.
Not impossible to win or come closer and not a slur on AIC teams/schools, but it is a different arms race

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
Doubtful the promotion relegation tier would work considering GPS and AIC are both associations who facilitate a number of sports, not just rugby. I disagree with 'FairPlay' who suggests the best AIC team would be lucky to come within 20 points of any GPS side. Despite the rampant scholarship dishouts in GPS, AIC are not that far off the mark. AIC 1 and GPS 1 drew in 2013 and GPS snuck home by a try in 2012. Last year, three AIC boys made Australian Schoolboys (equal to that of GPS).

GPS naturally have more depth across the board but lets not be ignorant here - AIC is a quality competition.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
AIC schools will slowly turn into 'GPS importing galore', with more and more boys picked up by AIC schools to pursuit 'sporting' careers and have been funded by schools to do so. That's the only reason AIC 1 managed to tie with GPS 1 last year.

Knockon

Bob McCowan (2)
I don't think one can fairly compare GPS and AIC from just trial game settings/results. However Selectors and Rep coaches know where to pick the best from thou.

kickingtee

Allen Oxlade (6)
So who has trials on this weekend? Looking forward to seeing some of the first hit outs for the season from some teams. Anyone got any team lists/want to predict who will have a run on?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Despite the rampant scholarship dishouts in GPS, AIC are not that far off the mark. AIC 1 and GPS 1 drew in 2013 and GPS snuck home by a try in 2012. Last year, three AIC boys made Australian Schoolboys (equal to that of GPS).

Just feel the need to point out that the closeness of the results in recent year could be attributed to the fact that the AIC boy's had just finished their season (presumably at peak physical condition, if not close to it), whilst the GPS boy's weren't even finished pre-season at their schools.

Excuse me while I go on a bit of a rant about the selection of Adrian Henley and Moses Sorovi in the Australian Schoolboys team. In the games I watched Henley play in Sydney against Fiji and New Zealand, I saw him make a single run in both matches, and I watched him pretty closely. In the end the selectors must have seen something I didn't, possibly his long term potential in Rugby Union, because they took him to the UK (days before he signed up with a local Q Cup League side back in Brisbane).

Sorovi must have been the luckiest halfback in Australia to not only get taken to the UK, but to start for Queensland. Isaak Fines Leleiwasa was the best halfback I have ever seen playing schoolboy footy, a split image of Genia in peak career form with fantastic pace, passing, reading of the game, defence, and even kicking.. How Sorovi cracked the team ahead of him is a complete mystery to me.

However, I thought Wilkins and Fakoasilea deserved to be in the team, but Fakaosilea was as much a Peter's product as he was BBC's.

If the AIC season was moved to term 3, or the GPS to term 2, I have no doubt in my mind that the GPS would have significantly greater representation in the top teams, and those sides would be more competitive because of it.

/end rant

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Call me what you want but I believe the schoolboy rugby comp could become a monster if a couple of traditionalists were moved out of the way.

What is wrong with playing schools like St Peters, Marist etc. To be honest, and no offence to the Toowoomba people on here, when I played I didn't really care about playing them. I didn't know anyone who went there, it meant getting up at 5.30am for an 8/9 am game and I just didn't feel like playing footy.

I'm sure if, on the other hand, I was to be playing St Peters, against boys that had a genuine rivalry with us and some of whom knew us, I would be way more excited about taking the field. Now fine we are never going to boot Toowoomba et al out of the competition and they have earnt their place there, but why not play all the AIC schools.

Have two competitions, one Schools Premier and two Schools plate. Get the State High Schools involved FFS. Their students don't play for school, and a fair few play League on weekends.

THe result is you don't see 6 teams doing well and 3 teams getting pummelled by semi-professional teams each week, and it would be a more even competition.

But unfortunately this is all talk and will never ever happen - GPS schools will never allow their AIC competitors to enter in the same competition for one reason: "revenue".

Which is why it is a shame that the competition is administered by them and not the QRU.. If I was running the show at the QRU there would be said model and invitational state high school teams running out as well.

I'd also have an FA cup equivalent knock out competition involving all schools. 9/8 (some teams don't even play Downlands) games a year isn't enough, and its obvious to see this when kids are desperate to go play League as well.

But hey, don't let growing a sports status and prestige at a schoolboy level interfere with the finance department.

The QRU is in good finances at the moment and in position to make a move such as this... These are exactly the kind of moves that have led to a sport grabbing a piece in the hearts and minds of a culture. Look at the Football Association in England, starts the FA cup & ancestor to the premier league in the UK, the clubs form a rivalry and are based around community support and grassroots... within 10 years crowds go from 2000 to 120,000.

Now did the FA then decide that, piss off, the first 9 clubs here are the only ones allowed to compete and it's elite so you're not coming in? No, any club was permitted to submit a team and the FA cup reflects that today with regular small time clubs going all the way to the final to confront giants.

Rugby's biggest problem is that it will always be a game for the haves and tradition is never touched, which has both positive and negatives. It is ironic that the situation with GPS schools is allegorical to the games clientele as a whole.

alvin purple

Stan Wickham (3)
Don't think TSS will trouble too many of the gun sides this year. Watched Scots College whip them 41 to zip this arvo down at Bond Uni. Outplayed across the park.
Admitedly the teams are at different stages of their seasons but TSS showed very little in attack and full of holes in defence.
Churchie director of rugby was having quite a chuckle.

Did TSS just run the 2nds team,not wanting to get any of there star players injured??

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
BBC play BGS on Saturday -but seem to looking at it more of an under 16 trial because:
1)3 x 25 min thirds;
2) Smith & Ikatau are in Qld RL State of Orgin Camp;
3) many injuries not playing including Foulds & Veravis injured in rep league
games((which is pissing Barker off) an other injuries such as Jerumi,Christianson & Palmer;
4) the whole front row will be under 16.

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
BBC play BGS on Saturday -but seem to looking at it more of an under 16 trial because:
1)3 x 25 min thirds;
2) Smith & Ikatau are in Qld RL State of Orgin Camp;
3) many injuries not playing including Foulds & Veravis injured in rep league
games((which is pissing Barker off) an other injuries such as Jerumi,Christianson & Palmer;
4) the whole front row will be under 16.

"the whole front row will be under 16" what about Kahn and Peterson?

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just feel the need to point out that the closeness of the results in recent year could be attributed to the fact that the AIC boy's had just finished their season (presumably at peak physical condition, if not close to it), whilst the GPS boy's weren't even finished pre-season at their schools.

Excuse me while I go on a bit of a rant about the selection of Adrian Henley and Moses Sorovi in the Australian Schoolboys team. In the games I watched Henley play in Sydney against Fiji and New Zealand, I saw him make a single run in both matches, and I watched him pretty closely. In the end the selectors must have seen something I didn't, possibly his long term potential in Rugby Union, because they took him to the UK (days before he signed up with a local Q Cup League side back in Brisbane).

/end rant

Adrian Henley is the fullback here playing league for Norths MM Cup. He shows some blinding speed and skill... might not have got a chance to shine for Aus schoolboys but an obvious talent

Status
Not open for further replies.