• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Rouge can you confirm the order of the bench selections? Are the GPS 1 bench higher rated than the GPS 2 starters?

Rouge

Bob McCowan (2)
Rouge can you confirm the order of the bench selections? Are the GPS 1 bench higher rated than the GPS 2 starters?

GPS teams 1, 2 and 3 are in rank order with players on the bench for GPS 1 ranked as #4 best option behind the players selected into GPS 3. Players on the ‘GPS 2 bench’ are ranked as #5 and players on the bench for GPS 3 are ranked as the #6 best option in that position. Bench players may have very limited playing time at the trials as they have been ranked 4th, 5th and 6th options by the nine GPS 1st XV Coaches.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that @Rouge may have experienced a "Copy and Paste" malfunction.

The forum software sometimes does random things to lists that look perfectly normal in other applications, or from web pages, prior to being copied and pasted into the forum. Spaces disappear, tab stops become new lines, column change becomes new line etc.

You sometimes have to re-process the copied words in a text editor before pasting them on the forum. This can be a pain in the proverbial sometimes.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Starting Numbers:

NC 9
ACGS 7
BSHS 6
BBC 4
GT 4
TGS 4
TSS 4
IGS 3
BGS 1

Total Numbers

NC 12
BBC 10
ACGS 9
BSHS 9
GT 6
TSS 6
TGS 5
IGS 5
BGS 1

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
GPS123.JPG

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
I gave GPS 1 a value of 6pts, GPS 2=5pts etc ... all the way down to GPS 3 reserves = 1 pt.
Given that crude rating, the GPS selectors have rated the 9 GPS teams in this order, ACGS, NC, (clearly 1 & 2) then BBC and BSHS, a big step down to GT, IGS, TSS, TGS, with BG and very sorry looking last.
That may not be a bad guess for end of season ranking. Except that teams like TSS may lack many individual players but still have a well drilled team. Other teams may have a good spread across the paddock (ie BBC).
(I haven't double checked my numbers- wasted too much time already!)
Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 12.18.23 pm.png

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
I gave GPS 1 a value of 6pts, GPS 2=5pts etc . all the way down to GPS 3 reserves = 1 pt.
Given that crude rating, the GPS selectors have rated the 9 GPS teams in this order, ACGS, NC, (clearly 1 & 2) then BBC and BSHS, a big step down to GT, IGS, TSS, TGS, with BG and very sorry looking last.
That may not be a bad guess for end of season ranking. Except that teams like TSS may lack many individual players but still have a well drilled team. Other teams may have a good spread across the paddock (ie BBC).
View attachment 4892

Good work Mr Kick. Some deeper considerations to ponder. NC, Churchie and to a lesser extent BBC and BSHS increase the likelihood of injury to their "stars" by contributing as they do in this forum. I think this improves the chances of a well drilled, well coached and well S&C'ed TSS side in the race for the cup. The hidden statistic is that all of Churchie's RubbyLoig players ( Sua, Ponga, Perese and Mason) did not trial and won't feature. All of these players would be run on in either GPS 1 or 2.

The contribution of a school's elite players is further risked with the National Championships being held before a GPS school competition has begun and before GPS players have been able to build a game fitness base. In these days of risk management for teachers/coaches and the arse covering paperwork that comes with it, there really is a case to suggest there is a discernable risk by playing a carnival with such a poor match play preparation. I am under strict medical advice not to say any more on this topic lest I be driven completely insane by the stupidity of the GPS Headmasters, that august band of urine soaked, silver templed, saggy testicled ponces who have basically handed NSW Schools teams all future national championships in perpetuity - but I digress.

My money is still with Churchie. Managing the egos that come with this status as favourites and with all these rep spots may be just as much an X factor as managing the injuries. Tim Horan tipped Churchie at the 1000 seat pre Test lunch the other day so the pressure has started. I wonder if this means they play " not to lose" instead of "trying to win". Time will tell.

One final thing. By running against in season AIC players, in the trials, the playing field at selection time for QRFSU teams is not level and I think this is why more AIC players featured in rep sides last year. There is no argument. AIC at its best can not match GPS at its best and there are many years of parallel seasons proving this fact - esp with 40+ -0 scorelines in the GPS1 -v-AIC1 matches. I'm not interested in hearing from AIC people because you may as well try and say Rolf Harris doesn't like hanging around Wiggles concerts.

PS Is it just me or is the Polynesian yearning for double barreled surnames the latest trend?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Great stuff and congrats to those selected for the next step towards the QLD Schoolboys jersey.

With three starting teams selected, I don't see too many players who could have a real gripe about not being selected to have a shot at QLD selection.

No massive surprises, although I thought it was unusual for Gunter (BBC) to be a reserve lock and not a reserve loose forward.

Those tables above are excellent, but while providing a pointer of the season to come, means no guarantees. The (poor) form of IGS last year during the regular season after getting a fair share of selections at this point comes quickly to mind.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I gave GPS 1 a value of 6pts, GPS 2=5pts etc . all the way down to GPS 3 reserves = 1 pt.
View attachment 4892

I thoroughly appreciate the check line down the bottom!!

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
My brother was speaking to some terrace players and found out that Jack Lodder (1st XV from last year/16 A's) has finally one too many concussions and cannot play this year.

Has this been confirmed - is Lodder out for the entire season??

I notice he is not training and played no part in the trials, but a season seems excessive.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
The sum of concussions for Lodder now getting into double figures I hear.

I believe it is at least a season if not rugby career. No point mushing your brain for what is just a game.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
The sum of concussions for Lodder now getting into double figures I hear.

I believe it is at least a season if not rugby career. No point mushing your brain for what is just a game.

Wow I didn't realise it was so many - quite right never worth the risk.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Moving away from gps teams, who will be playing who this week in trials. I believe BBC take on BSHS, any other inter school games?

Status
Not open for further replies.