• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

underdone

Peter Burge (5)
How bout we get the talk back to the GPS competition instead of discussing personal matters no one knows about contracts blah blah blah. Somehow I get the feeling that BBC will click this weekend against NC.

BBC may click if Mr T Barker is up to making a few hard calls.
Tuuga made a huge impact at the break down when he came on, very disruptive every time he contested the ball and got over the advantage line with every carry of the ball.
So the question is "who starts in the early game"
If Swain is out injured his call is made 50% easier, Davidson to #5.
If Gunter is fit, #8 for him.
The hard call, front row is going ok, #2 is going good for a young guy and hasn't done anything wrong, 1 & 3 going good and seem injury free, leave it as it is so they get some cohesion together.
For my call, Tuuga to #6, brings an extra 20kg, hits hard in tackles, gets over the advantage line when he carries the ball, brings a lot of aggression to the park.
If Swain is over his knock, Barker has a hard call to make.
Davidson has a high work rate, very fit, fast to the break down, dosent give away unnecessary penalties, injury free, good ball skills, cant be left out, so IMO Davidson still gets the #5 jersey.
So as Wayne Bennet said "I have to take responsibility for the teams performance as i am the one who employs them"
I am sure Mr T Barker is up for the hard calls, but will he make the right call for the better of the team or the politics of the school.
We await the team list on Friday for the answer.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
BBC may click if Mr T Barker is up to making a few hard calls.
Tuuga made a huge impact at the break down when he came on, very disruptive every time he contested the ball and got over the advantage line with every carry of the ball.
So the question is "who starts in the early game"
If Swain is out injured his call is made 50% easier, Davidson to #5.
If Gunter is fit, #8 for him.
The hard call, front row is going ok, #2 is going good for a young guy and hasn't done anything wrong, 1 & 3 going good and seem injury free, leave it as it is so they get some cohesion together.
For my call, Tuuga to #6, brings an extra 20kg, hits hard in tackles, gets over the advantage line when he carries the ball, brings a lot of aggression to the park.
If Swain is over his knock, Barker has a hard call to make.
Davidson has a high work rate, very fit, fast to the break down, dosent give away unnecessary penalties, injury free, good ball skills, cant be left out, so IMO Davidson still gets the #5 jersey.
So as Wayne Bennet said "I have to take responsibility for the teams performance as i am the one who employs them"
I am sure Mr T Barker is up for the hard calls, but will he make the right call for the better of the team or the politics of the school.
We await the team list on Friday for the answer.
What do you think of Barkers centre combination?
They are not getting fast hands to the ball, also there ability to back up the wings?
Has been hard as in the two games so far no number 10 has played a full game.

More running and passing training for the backs in both directions I believe they need reminding of the basics.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)

rugby fail

Bob McCowan (2)
Agreed, I was not overly impressed by TSS, but they are better than I expected them to be. I was very disappointed with GT and the way they completely capitulated in the second half.

As expected GT forwards are going to struggle to go 70 mins against the bigger packs, and their scrum is not up to the better sides.

Additionally losing Roycroft has hurt badly with combinations especially in defense, Nikau looked in two minds a lot and he lacks the lateral movement to be making late decisions.

Having said that you can only beat what you face and beat them they have and well. TSS backrow was very good and in the second half completely dominated what is GT main strength.

I agree and yes GT do have a small forward pack but IMO the forward pack GT do have are being over worked running from side to side (GT's expansive game plan of getting the ball to the backs and trying to score from every play has their forwards going from side to side. 1 meter forward is better than 30 meters sideways. Let the forwards be forwards and truck it up the middle and pick and drive every now and then. It will suck in some defense and conserve some of the forwards energy levels and give the back line a better platform, IMO).

GT scrum was dominated by TSS maybe it was size or technique don't know if GT do scrum work. Leofa taken off the field 10 mins into the second half was an ordinary call considering he was their only prop carrying and added some aggression in the defense.

The loss of Roycroft really shows and has highlighted Nikau and McNamara defensive flaws.

#15 was impressive with his lighting speed and was one of GT's best of the day.

TSS were strong across the field.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I strongly encourage everyone to tip BBC this week.

Yes, me too......

But in all seriousness, BBC have shown that their brand of footy compares well to Nudgee's. Last year a single pass proved the difference between the two sides.

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
Yes, me too..

But in all seriousness, BBC have shown that their brand of footy compares well to Nudgee's. Last year a single pass proved the difference between the two sides.

It is a different team at BBC this year, both in makeup and more importantly mentally and cohesively. Not a patch on last year at the moment.

My bet is the current 6 & 8 will start the game somewhere.

GPS Rugby Pro

Frank Row (1)
Hello Gents, ACGS vs BSHS review on a few players
ACGS should be proud with their win on the weekend. Harley Fox, Jayden Sua and Perese played astonishing. The pair in the centres looked like they owned the game, greatly controlled by Harry Nucifora - one to watch for the future.
But for BSHS, some of their players would benefit from additional skill work. (edited)

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Hello Gents, ACGS vs BSHS review on a few players

<deleted>

It really pisses me off that you've seen fit to repost this after the moderators deleted it last week.

I've checked out your account, and you've been a part of this forum for a month, with 4 posts - 3 of of which have been to bag a player, and the fourth revealing the CSS team, of which that player was a member.

Drop your vendetta against this kid. If people come on to the forum to pump up their mates or throw some chat I don't mind it so much, but when people join for the sole purpose of humiliating a teenage kid on the internet it really fires me up. Show some maturity.

I encourage everyone on the forum to hit the report button, we don't need this crap on our thread

Inside centres are supposed to be a hard position to make it in.
Calvin Pritchard is a good choice for QLD 1.
But Matthew Smit for GPS 3, he was a bad choice.
He was a ball hog, with many missed tackles.
Him even as reserve for QLD 2 would have been a bad choice.
Now he is starting, thats 1 problem selectors/coaches have made already.
Without the carnival even being played
Would have been much better with Hiale Roycroft in the mix or maybe his companion Nikau
But definatley not Matthew Smit
Bad choice
At the end of the day, Smit should not have made it.

Yes, He should definately be on and Matthew Smit shold never have got chosen

Roycoft should be over Smit

The Eagle

Stan Wickham (3)
Agreed, I was not overly impressed by TSS, but they are better than I expected them to be. I was very disappointed with GT and the way they completely capitulated in the second half.

As expected GT forwards are going to struggle to go 70 mins against the bigger packs, and their scrum is not up to the better sides.

Additionally losing Roycroft has hurt badly with combinations especially in defense, Nikau looked in two minds a lot and he lacks the lateral movement to be making late decisions.

Having said that you can only beat what you face and beat them they have and well. TSS backrow was very good and in the second half completely dominated what is GT main strength.
I think TSS are a lot stronger than a few people think. However after watching what Churchie did to BSHS on the week end I think that they will have their hands full playing each other. Again I have to make comment on Ponga, what a game. I think it will be the game of the season.
On another note I was very impressed with the 15a's from BBC of last year, being undefeated, however I saw that they got beaten by TSS last week. What happened, did most of them go up to the 1st's already?

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
BBC making too many basic errors under pressure, had a few opportunities that fell short due to poor decision making. Panic button went off. Hopefully Gunter lifts the morale if he starts,TGS nearly stole it! They came home strong but not quite enuf time,

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
BBC have their season on the line this week. A loss would snuff out any faint title aspirations. At least home ground advantage counts for something.
Will need a 50% improvement just to be in the hunt.
NC by 15.

Nightmare

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well said mate, they are all just kids having a crack.
I know the player in question personally and his a good kid, his actually dropped league for the time being to concentrate on school footy.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
This will be up on the main page soon but here are my tips now on the forum anyway: (Apologies for the formatting - UQ computers suck.)

IGS v TSS

Ipswich have been disappointing this season and have capitulated badly in the last couple of weeks. Some posters on the forum think that TSS are overrated. I think you can only beat what's in front of you. TSS will win this one in a canter. Mike Wallace's side are beautiful to watch. (30 Points).

TGS v ACGS

Arguably a banana slip game for the men from Oaklands Parade. A long trip up the range is a vibe killer for any team wishing to play rugby and Toowoomba will come out firing. TGS' defense is quality and will make ACGS stutter in the opening stanza, but ultimately ACGS have too much quality to lose this.

ACGS by 10

BBC v NC

My game of the round. It's reigning premiers NC against a desperate BBC at Miskin oval and its a match that is sure to be entertaining. The College have have had a hard start to 2014 and will need to lower their error rate to be a chance in this game. NC weren't really tested against a disappointing BGS on the weekend and this weeks game will be much more competitive. My heart says BBC will get up in a meltdown, but my head says the NC machine will roll them. And I always tip with my head.

NC by 12

BGS v BSHS Don't tell me this is a nothing game. Two schools of former glories go up against each other in a rivalry that goes back some way. BSHS got up against TGS up the range, and despite the heavy scoreline last week I see them doing the same again this week, in an absolute cracker of a game. BSHS to win by 3 and there will be late drama.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I was at the BBC v TGS game last weekend. I have to say I was disappointed with the BBC Firsts. They've been regularly talked up in this forum but from the look of them they fell well short of what I would consider a premiership-winning side.

In fact, I thought they were fairly pedestrian in attack, and their defence allowed TGS to come back in a game they should have sown up early - certainly if you consider the possession and field position they enjoyed.

Part of the problem to me was the 10/12 combo. Ball distribution from 10 was plodding to say the least, 12 is a big strong lad but it's pretty predictable play just to bash it up - need some more silky skills there to unleash the pacey outside backs. I liked the look of the wings and 15.

The BBC forwards were quite solid; however, they lost some turnover ball to TGS on the deck. Credit to the country boys for coming back and, although it never seemed likely they'd win, they produced some solid play to just about gain parity.

Neither of these teams will feature in the top half of the draw if they played like they did on Saturday.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
I was at the BBC v TGS game last weekend. I have to say I was disappointed with the BBC Firsts. They've been regularly talked up in this forum but from the look of them they fell well short of what I would consider a premiership-winning side.

In fact, I thought they were fairly pedestrian in attack, and their defence allowed TGS to come back in a game they should have sown up early - certainly if you consider the possession and field position they enjoyed.

Part of the problem to me was the 10/12 combo. Ball distribution from 10 was plodding to say the least, 12 is a big strong lad but it's pretty predictable play just to bash it up - need some more silky skills there to unleash the pacey outside backs. I liked the look of the wings and 15.

The BBC forwards were quite solid; however, they lost some turnover ball to TGS on the deck. Credit to the country boys for coming back and, although it never seemed likely they'd win, they produced some solid play to just about gain parity.

Neither of these teams will feature in the top half of the draw if they played like they did on Saturday.
The wings and 15 are all under 16's from last weekend
The centres from 15A's last year-Stead and Cotton moved the ball around .
13 in the 1st's this year is a natural wing and played that in the GPS 1 .
They need fast hands and smart heads Stead and Cotton had that and have shown that when given the opportunity in the 1st's.
BBC need aggression, heart and speed

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
The wings and 15 are all under 16's from last weekend
The centres from 15A's last year-Stead and Cotton moved the ball around .
13 in the 1st's this year is a natural wing and played that in the GPS 1 .
They need fast hands and smart heads Stead and Cotton had that and have shown that when given the opportunity in the 1st's.
BBC need aggression, heart and speed

Bodes quite well for next year then I guess?

Based on Saturday, I'm afraid they didn't look like world beaters. There seemed a lack of combination and slickness. Hopefully they can turn it around.

Nudgee game this week will be the crunch. They obviously can't afford another TSS result.

Status
Not open for further replies.