• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
And who are you ? Doesn't really matter , I was talking about dub standard coaches within the igs system trying to earn a few extra dollars , with you only mentioning the people they have got on to help , only substantiates what I said the igs teachers / coaches are not up to it - and they have to get outside help - which was always the case but the igs coaches are getting paid for it , just a joke

I'm nobody, I promise. I was actually referring to the guys that Brisbane Grammar have on the payroll, not Ipswich - I made my point to contrast the two schools opposing points of view towards selecting/hiring coaches..

Funny that neither have won a game at First XV level yet, despite the differences in underage coaching - maybe it doesn't even matter ;)

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Are you sure you were watching the same game as me?! It was BBC who looked rattled by some massive tackles by the NC numbers 11, 6, 3 and 8 to name a few; especially the BBC 8 who knocked the ball on continuously in the big tackles .. In regards to NC coming out fighting, are you referring to the numerous late tackles on the NC 10, who still managed to get the ball out every time, despite his treatment; including being pushed into the stand out of play at one stage?!

I agree Nudgee should have buried BBC in the first half as BBC were going backwards at a million miles an hour..
Can some tell me why the NC 10 was in the QLD teams he is outstanding ... As a BBC supporter he was only above average against us by his usual standard so I would hate to see what he has done against other teams ... Are the QRU watching these teams ???

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can some tell me why the NC 10 was in the QLD teams he is outstanding . As a BBC supporter he was only above average against us by his usual standard so I would hate to see what he has done against other teams . Are the QRU watching these teams ???

If the NC #10 was Liam Moseley, as it was against BGS in round 2, then he wasn't in the QLD team. He didn't even trial. I can tell you he's in the QLD U18 AFL team so maybe that's where his priorities lie.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
And who are you ? Doesn't really matter , I was talking about dub standard coaches within the igs system trying to earn a few extra dollars , with you only mentioning the people they have got on to help , only substantiates what I said the igs teachers / coaches are not up to it - and they have to get outside help - which was always the case but the igs coaches are getting paid for it , just a joke
I find this very offensive to all GPS coaches .., a lot if these coaches have coach many students in their time... Many students have benefit not only for the rugby focus but also becoming men ... Why focus on IGS unless you have a beef with them. ...all schools have quality coaches ... Mentors and people that value add to individual players develop ...

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
If the NC #10 was Liam Moseley, as it was against BGS in round 2, then he wasn't in the QLD team. He didn't even trial. I can tell you he's in the QLD U18 AFL team so maybe that's where his priorities lie.
Really well maybe the league guys that were watching on the weekend will pull another one over our rugby eyes... And matter of fact the lions too...

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes the QRU boys were watching at BBC on the weekend...and the week before

The Eagle

Stan Wickham (3)
L. Yates. It was just a query champ.

I have no affiliation, just a rugby fan. Thus my question.

Anyone got a sensible answer or is it just the case that many on here are BBC Supporters? No issue with that, mine was a genuine query about the background as to the interest in the BBC team.
I think it's because so many people want to see BBC win that title. If I hear they they have the possibility of winning the title I'll be there to cheer them on unless they're up against Churchie.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry mate, but for someone who has his username, you really should know that Digby graduated in 2003 with Terrace winning the first XV undefeated in 2004 (Something BBC haven't managed to do despite nearly 100 attempts). Btw can you remind me who won in the GT v BBC match last year? Its slipped my mind
It seems it was only yesterday when Digby scored one of the best individual tries I have seen at schoolboy level back in 2003 against BBC. At that stage in he he season GT hadn't won a thing. Not even a trial. BBC were on track with an undefeated season. You can guess what happened. Quality BBC team though with Horwill, Genia and Abram.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
It's funny to compare the coaching standards of the two schools you've mentioned.

The grammar schools of Ipswich and Brisbane have completely disparate views.

I'm currently coaching the Grammar 16C/Ds, and each Wednesday afternoon we're visited by a guest coach.

Last week it was former Fijian test Captain Moses Raulini to run the Cs and Ds backline through their paces.

The week before that we had Souths head coach Michael Broad drop by to help out our forwards.

Also on the roster of rotating coaches are FoxSports own Greg Martin, and former Wallaby Julian Gardner (forwards coach of the First XV), who does a session with every single team to look at their scrummaging. Alec Evans comes around every so often to terrify the younger boys, and Phil Mooney was a big influence on the BGS Rugby pre-season camp.

On top of that all-star coaching panel, Brothers head coach Anthony Matheson coaches the 16A's, assisted by Tim Holzgrefe who coaches Queensland II each year.

Carl Marshall is the backs coach at Brothers as well as Queensland I coach, and he handles the 15As.

Damon Emtage was backs coach for the Reds under Phil Mooney, charged with the development of the up and coming young guns that won the Super Rugby title, and now coaches the First XV.

When you throw me in the mix as well it's a pretty talented coaching staff! Results may not go so well this year (BGS have won something like 6/50 games over the first 2 rounds, I haven't heard the stats for round 3), but rest assured Grammar are building for the future.

There won't be another 20 year wait between premierships, I can guarantee that

That's quite impressive. Looks like a great program. Is Emtage the main driver behind those initiatives? Smart coach.
Just don't get where Tod Damers fits in. Odd choice of assistant

Headgear

Bob McCowan (2)
I find this very offensive to all GPS coaches .., a lot if these coaches have coach many students in their time. Many students have benefit not only for the rugby focus but also becoming men . Why focus on IGS unless you have a beef with them. .all schools have quality coaches . Mentors and people that value add to individual players develop .

In addition to Realdeals response I just checked IGS stats and see that they have won all games in u12a, u13a, u14a, and all but one u15a, losing by one point to TSS. u16a not travelling well. If the coaching there is so bad, why are they winning the majority of their A group matches. I agree it seems Jamo has a beef with IGS and doesn't offer a balanced view. His comments are very disrespectful to a group of people who give up their time to coach and mentor young men.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
That's quite impressive. Looks like a great program. Is Emtage the main driver behind those initiatives? Smart coach.

Not Emtage's idea but Ron Cochrane's, the director of sport at BGS.

BGS' director of Rugby, Justin Carroll, left the school in 2012. Instead a hiring a replacement, the school allocated his old responsibilities to Ron, and spent the positions salary on hiring new coaches with incredible rugby CVs that the boys all idolise. It works out well, the coaches bring a lot to the table for old boy coaches and teachers to learn from as well as the boys.

I forgot to mention that Lachie Turner is the latest of the new BGS rotational coaches, he started with the First XV backs on Tuesday last week

Nightmare

Allen Oxlade (6)
I find it quite amusing on here that people are claiming other codes are getting some of the better players and the QRU aren't keeping them in union......What I can tell you as a fact is that 90% of these kids in question already have plenty of runs on the board with other codes. You need only read previous posts about certain players with Broncos, Cowboys, Storm etc scholarships to work that out. I can also assure you that a lot of these clubs aren't overly keen on the kids going to these schools knowing they could lose them to union.

ruckhudson

Peter Burge (5)
I am thinking of heading down to Fursden Rd to watch the BBC BSHS action this weekend. Has anyone got any insight as to the games of the day??? Looks like 13As is being talked about but is there any other evenly matched games in B,Cs and times i should be there to watch.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
I am thinking of heading down to Fursden Rd to watch the BBC BSHS action this weekend. Has anyone got any insight as to the games of the day??? Looks like 13As is being talked about but is there any other evenly matched games in B,Cs and times i should be there to watch.
The 15A's should be worth watching, judging by the majority of the scores over the opening weeks.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
… … … Damon Emtage was backs coach for the Reds under Phil Mooney, charged with the development of the up and coming young guns that won the Super Rugby title, and now coaches the First XV.

When you throw me in the mix as well it's a pretty talented coaching staff! Results may not go so well this year (BGS have won something like 6/50 games over the first 2 rounds, I haven't heard the stats for round 3), but rest assured Grammar are building for the future.

There won't be another 20 year wait between premierships, I can guarantee that.

Good on you king-you are an inspiration .

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)

There must be numerous players who are talented enough to play a number of sports at the elite level.... but it would have to be tough on your body to be playing GPS 1st's Rugby one day then back it up with QLD U18 AFL the next..... some massive bodies and hard work out there!!

I just had a quick look and the National Championships for AFL were on at the same time as the QLD Rugby trials..... as the season for rugby hadn't even started and the QLD AFL season started in March maybe rugby did luck out with Moseley this year. Let's hope we can get him for next year as from what I have seen he has been outstanding so far this year.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
There must be numerous players who are talented enough to play a number of sports at the elite level.. but it would have to be tough on your body to be playing GPS 1st's Rugby one day then back it up with QLD U18 AFL the next... some massive bodies and hard work out there!!

I just had a quick look and the National Championships for AFL were on at the same time as the QLD Rugby trials... as the season for rugby hadn't even started and the QLD AFL season started in March maybe rugby did luck out with Moseley this year. Let's hope we can get him for next year as from what I have seen he has been outstanding so far this year.

Does anyone know how the current makeup of Australian Super Rugby sides relate to the Schoolboy program versus everyone else.

I guess it pretty much boils down to private school versus public schools students, and while crude that's still a good indicator of the conversion rate.

Any idea?

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
I find it quite amusing on here that people are claiming other codes are getting some of the better players and the QRU aren't keeping them in union..What I can tell you as a fact is that 90% of these kids in question already have plenty of runs on the board with other codes. You need only read previous posts about certain players with Broncos, Cowboys, Storm etc scholarships to work that out. I can also assure you that a lot of these clubs aren't overly keen on the kids going to these schools knowing they could lose them to union.

I think the point is that there are other competing sports, not just league, that can offer kids more/better opportunities at an earlier age than rugby.... the GPS season seems to have a massive pre season build up for only a handful of games. You only have one weekend of trials (prior to the season even starting) to expose yourself to opportunities in the schoolboys team and only if you get there do you then have a few games to prove yourself for the Aust. School Boys. I’m not sure the current system in rugby gets the best that they can get…. Do they continue to look throughout the season or is it done and dusted prior to the season even starting?

After school finishes what can rugby do for the boys? Isn't there a hole for a couple of years unlike AFL who can draft players at 18 and League that can contract U20's?

Status
Not open for further replies.