• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
At TSS today
13A BBC by 15
14A BBC by more than 50
15A very close a try either way
16A ditto
1sts TSS scored try on full time to win by a couple of points in a wet boggy field

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
At TSS today
13A BBC by 15
14A BBC by more than 50
15A very close a try either way
16A ditto
1sts TSS scored try on full time to win by a couple of points in a wet boggy field

were the Rep players from both schools playing?. i heard Farrell and 1 or 2 others did not play for BBC
also told the TSS side is very big and , as you would expect, well drilled.
former BBC boy playing in 14As at TSS . his DAd desbribed back 3 in BBC under 14 backline as "f...ing fast " said he kept yelling " stop kicking the ball to them" to no avail. 12 tries to 1 shellacking

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Churchie v Nudgee trial

Yes Really! The word is that the Nudgee 4, 5, 11, 12 & 13 did not play. I think there is still some consideration/pondering for 1 & 2 as well. So it could be 6 not 5!

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Churchie v Nudgee trial

My take. Nudgee controlled the match and were not overly "stressed" (except for the 3-4 minor injuries). Both teams (I think) treated this as more than a trial, it was more an opportunity to gain a physiological advantage for the season! Churchie dominated the scrum throughout the match, possibly due to the unsettled 1, 2, 4, 5 Nudgee combinations. Nudgee were almost always on the back foot in this set piece.

Line-outs suffering from inaccurate throwing/missed timing of the jumps, particularly Nudgee in the first half (the trail terrors). More even in the second half possibly Nudgee ahead in this set piece by games end. In general play I think there was more expansive play by Nudgee, with a few very nice tries and hence the result. Whilst there was the usual arm wrestle in the beginning and even though Churchie had good possession you never felt like they were going to threaten the Nudgee line. Nudgee 5t 4c to Churchie 1t-0c -by half-time.

The second half was marred by indiscretions by Nudgee with a penalty count of at least 3-1 against them. This gave Churchie the territory and a possession rate of about 70% for the half and the ability to mount pressure on the Nudgee line. Through their forwards this was duly accepted in a pick and drive "fest" which provided for 3t 2g second half. With the few "crumbs" Nudgee were able to gain for the half they produced 1t - oc, however for mine the game was over in the first half. There were minor injuries for Nudgee (4,5,6 & 7) and several replacements, whilst Churchie didn't appear to have too many "subs" for the game. One yellow card each as well.

Best: Churchie: 8 & 12 Nudgee: 6 & 20 (fullback)
Notables: Churchie: 3,4,7 & 15 Nudgee: 3,7,8,10,13 & 14
Other observations: Churchie will use there very effective pick and drive game again this year and can never be taken lightly as they are well drilled and determined. Nudgee will be hard to beat as their "all-round" game seems to (at this stage) adequately compensate for any other misgivings.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Churchie v Nudgee trial

My take. Nudgee controlled the match and were not overly "stressed" (except for the 3-4 minor injuries). Both teams (I think) treated this as more than a trial, it was more an opportunity to gain a physiological advantage for the season! Churchie dominated the scrum throughout the match, possibly due to the unsettled 1, 2, 4, 5 Nudgee combinations. Nudgee were almost always on the back foot in this set piece.

Line-outs suffering from inaccurate throwing/missed timing of the jumps, particularly Nudgee in the first half (the trail terrors). More even in the second half possibly Nudgee ahead in this set piece by games end. In general play I think there was more expansive play by Nudgee, with a few very nice tries and hence the result. Whilst there was the usual arm wrestle in the beginning and even though Churchie had good possession you never felt like they were going to threaten the Nudgee line. Nudgee 5t 4c to Churchie 1t-0c -by half-time.

The second half was marred by indiscretions by Nudgee with a penalty count of at least 3-1 against them. This gave Churchie the territory and a possession rate of about 70% for the half and the ability to mount pressure on the Nudgee line. Through their forwards this was duly accepted in a pick and drive "fest" which provided for 3t 2g second half. With the few "crumbs" Nudgee were able to gain for the half they produced 1t - oc, however for mine the game was over in the first half. There were minor injuries for Nudgee (4,5,6 & 7) and several replacements, whilst Churchie didn't appear to have too many "subs" for the game. One yellow card each as well.

Best: Churchie: 8 & 12 Nudgee: 6 & 20 (fullback)
Notables: Churchie: 3,4,7 & 15 Nudgee: 3,7,8,10,13 & 14
Other observations: Churchie will use there very effective pick and drive game again this year and can never be taken lightly as they are well drilled and determined. Nudgee will be hard to beat as their "all-round" game seems to (at this stage) adequately compensate for any other misgivings.

Sage, hope to see more of you. Great open and honest report. Need the puns of the wobble though.

Impartial Observer

Bob McCowan (2)
Missing from Churchie were 10&12 who are bothe playing in the QLD under 18 RL team as the curtain raiser to Origin on Wednesday night. I doubt that Churchie will go back to back but they will have a big influence on who does win it.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Hello GPS!

The AIC teams have been selected and are ready to rumble with their GPS counterparts, it should be another exciting year! As you all may know by now, the AIC season has just finished with Padua College Kedron winning an outright premiership. Congratulations to them, many years of hard work has been done at Padua and now they are a real strong contender in the AIC winning two premierships in the past 5 years. Not a bad effort at all with the likes of Marist College Ashgrove still consistently competitive.

On another note, I'd like to talk about the effect of the term 3 change of GPS rugby fixtures. Does the GPS benefit from moving their rugby season to term 3 linking up with basketball fixtures? Was this move made by GPS in attempt to attract football players to play rugby in term 3? I know some footballers would have some great footwork and speed. The AIC I believe should follow the same road as GPS have, but has this affected the basketball? Would love to hear on your thoughts about this. Good luck to all GPS schools this season!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hello GPS!

The AIC teams have been selected and are ready to rumble with their GPS counterparts, it should be another exciting year! As you all may know by now, the AIC season has just finished with Padua College Kedron winning an outright premiership. Congratulations to them, many years of hard work has been done at Padua and now they are a real strong contender in the AIC winning two premierships in the past 5 years. Not a bad effort at all with the likes of Marist College Ashgrove still consistently competitive.

On another note, I'd like to talk about the effect of the term 3 change of GPS rugby fixtures. Does the GPS benefit from moving their rugby season to term 3 linking up with basketball fixtures? Was this move made by GPS in attempt to attract football players to play rugby in term 3? I know some footballers would have some great footwork and speed. The AIC I believe should follow the same road as GPS have, but has this affected the basketball? Would love to hear on your thoughts about this. Good luck to all GPS schools this season!
Read all about it:
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ASR-Newsletter-2015.pdf

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Hello GPS!

This post is The Blues Brothers playing in the country and western bar meets the Police Academy graduates walking into The Blue Oyster Bar.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
were the Rep players from both schools playing?. i heard Farrell and 1 or 2 others did not play for BBC
also told the TSS side is very big and , as you would expect, well drilled.
former BBC boy playing in 14As at TSS . his DAd desbribed back 3 in BBC under 14 backline as "f.ing fast " said he kept yelling " stop kicking the ball to them" to no avail. 12 tries to 1 shellacking

OK I take it back BBC supporters looks like you are closer to TSS across the grades then I thought.

I also heard from several sources that the BBC 14A backline was devastating. Lightening quick hands and feet.

It seems there are 3 outstanding teams coming through now: BSHS 13As, BBC 14As, NC 15As. And watch for GT to have a pretty good Firsts in 2016. (Early Mail).

Firsts this year is still harder to pick than which cop car Greg Bird will take a piss on next...But Nudgee has its Bingo Wheel just in front of the rest...

Go Qlder!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't disagree Wobble , although , the BSHS 13's are getting waaaaaayy too much credit before they have smacked everyone to pieces in the regular season

The Ipswich 13's deserve poll position presently - especially after they ripped Terrace 13's apart last weekend 60 zip , and , given that they caned everyone pretty easily last year.

It is their premiership to lose

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I might add BSHS play IGS at Sunnybank on Wednesday night in final trial before they holidays . That will be a good pointer toward things . At the U14 level too considering that Ipswich were runners up last year and State High were 3rd

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I have no idea why QLD GPS Rugby has a Term 3 deal. I would doubt whether the QSRU would be happy. I'm not.

All I can say is that it leaves our guys at a disadvantage for the Nationals as we have little game time or game fitness. And when we do have some game time etc. it all seems so rushed and the boys can pick up niggles which doesn't help the performances. I think it is a clear disadvantage.

Back to term 2 I reckon.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Rowing and Track and Field have a big part to play in the cross flow relations between the sports .

There isn't a snow flakes chance in hell you could have a decent Rugby Preseason and play GPS Rugby in Term 2 without impacting Rowing

If you are a Rower / Rugby Player you are doing a different type of training over the Summer and then after HOR and 2 to 3 week recovery you really should be adopting more a power and speed training regime over a 12 week timeline to get ready for Rugby

If you are a Rugby / Track and Field Athlete then you have a much better ability to maintain relativity in the type of S and C work you are doing for Rugby and then as you roll into Track and Field in Term 4 you are well prepared

The fact is you have less chance of disruption across all 3 sports and where they are positioned in the GPS Sporting Calendar is where they should be if you accept that over 2/3rd's of the boys will be Rugby Rowing or Rugby Track and Field ( at least for your A and B Teams across the age groups )

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Maybe Rowing should be in term 4? Not a lot of Rugby players are able to transition into Rowing and vice versa. Mainly Second Rower's from what I can see.

Another issue is that Rugby should take precedence. I cannot think of another sport that has as much participation in Qld GPS than Rugby? Can anyone name another which has as much almost WHOLE school participation?

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Got to agree with calls for Rugby to be in term 2. Many boys opt out to play in term 3 because of the QCS (and schools hyping up the QCS as some kind of end of the world, when at maximum it makes you take a year longer to get in the course you want).

Soccer currently gets the favourable deal in term 2 where boys are looking to play sport.

I have never got rowing as a sport, Rugby should take precedence and tell rowing it's not their problem because Rugby is the number one sport at these schools and rowing is not.

Basketball is still a stupid American sport that shouldn't even be allowed to be played on the premises as far as I'm concerned

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Good luck in over turning decades of dogma and tradition re : Rowing

The traditional nexus between Rugby and Rowing may have been lost for awhile but it is definitely on the way back in how Directors of Sport are trending ( some more committed than others )

Ultimately , Rowing is a size game . So is Rugby .

But we're just not talking about Rowing . We're also talking about Track and Field which is a perfect follow on from the Rugby Season regardless of whether you are a sprinter , jumper or a thrower

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Anybody got any team lineups/news from ten weekends game particularly GT V IGS - I have not been able to make it out to the trials so far and would love some updated team lineup gossip - come on guys lets name some teams!!

Status
Not open for further replies.