• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
GT have only one new boy and he's not a league player. The 12 is the same who played in u13.

GT has changed a few positions since that trial, so I doubt that will be a form guide.

GT is largely unchanged player wise from the U13 side that only won 4 games. So it's been a massive turn around.

I hope the game is a cracker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on, the GT recruitment is not as extensive as promoted,

For the record

There were two boys brought in the 16's neither have made the firsts but both have made an appearance due to game day injuries.

There is one new boy the 15's and 14's and a number of new boys in grade 7 and 8 as expected as the school doubles in size at these years - of the 2 'scholarship' boys in under 12 one is the younger brother of the boy in the 14's.

So basically 4 boys across 14 - 0pens.

On the 14s GT's two big impact forwards did not play yesterday with one (no 8) out for the season, they other may be back this weekend.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Guys, as warned by @Warrenwobble, we have a thread for scholarship, recruiting, financial assistance, fee relief, cheating, poaching etc. USE IT.

It will only end in tears if you post about such matters here.

GENERAL WARNING TO ALL FROM THE MODS.

There will be bans if this continues. I have a hair trigger and no remorse.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Hey guys the scholarship talk is becoming boring and leave the personal shots behind, lets move on and concentrate on footy. How about we do a half way score card on teams (even though it past half way). Here is a start:
TSS: are they a flat track bully or the real deal? Gut feel is somewhere in between, geniune talent in the team however maybe they are not quite as good as we thought. 7/10;
Churchie: you would have scored them 10/10 for their effort at Ross Oval however as history suggests this is their high point of their season year in, year out, strong front row, hard working backrow, superstar 10 and 12, overall definitely an over achiever from what their early expectations were. 8/10;
NC: they have the best player in the comp, a typical hard working forward pack, some genuine match winners out wide however I don't think anyone could explain last weekend, some very high high's, however the game against Churchie sticks in the mind 7/10;
GT: started the season much like the Cowboys start their games, slowly. They seem to be working into the season well with crucial players back in their team, after the week 3 probably 4/10 however now up to 6/10 with much better results in the last two weeks. This could explode in two weeks time when they play their big cousin.
TGS: I seriously can't work this team out, they were very good against NC, beat Churchie away, however lost to BBC at home and would be very disappointed yesterday against GT. Overall probably under performed from early predictions 5/10;
BBC: I can't work them out, quality throughout their team however they simply can't put a full 70 minute effort in and are under achievers 4/10;
BSHS: I probably need some help here however their results are not great although not unexpected. 3/10;
IGS; absolute disappointments of the season, their results are poor 1/10;
BGS: no surprise on their results however more would have been expected from them considered their coaching ranks 2/10.

Overall the season is paning out much like most people thought with a definite top 3 and a bit of a vacuum below. GT is most likely to make some headway moving into the last 3 rounds.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
BBC not the same after the TSS game, although they lost that game, they played outta their skins, I don't know if that sunk them completely but it sure ain't the same at Miskin oval! I must say that the GPS comp is very strong throughout the whole schools, it's up there with NZ Schholboys comp in Auckland which is where it should be. Very exciting times ahead for Australian rugby, that's if we don't lose em all to the dark side!!! Still we closing the gap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GPSfooty18

Frank Row (1)
GT seemed to be winning more matches than anyone predicted at start of year. they are winning and winning well.
who is scoring the tries -- malaki?
are the 2 rl boys from Wavell in 1sts or 16 As?

It appears that they are just a far fitter and well drilled side than anyone thought. Props must go to McCormack Costin for the way they got this team together. they were also a lot better than given credit/ previous results showed

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
It appears that they are just a far fitter and well drilled side than anyone thought. Props must go to McCormack Costin for the way they got this team together. they were also a lot better than given credit/ previous results showed

I think Terrace are about where we thought they would be.

Beaten Grammar by 7 points, beaten Ippy who are not very good and had one good win against TGS.

The real test is this weekend - should be a great game.

GPSfooty18

Frank Row (1)
I think Terrace are about where we thought they would be.

Beaten Grammar by 7 points, beaten Ippy who are not very good and had one good win against TGS.

The real test is this weekend - should be a great game.

Fair points mate. Although like most sides in the comp injuries have also hindered them somewhat- e.g against Grammar. Returning to full strength now however, and couldn't agree more, this weekend should be a cracker

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
HappyToChat, what happened to your unbeatable TSS side?
Out played I'm afraid.

Nudgee played well and did their homework last week. They kept possesion of the ball in the first half and made little mistakes. TSS lineouts 2 from 11 did not help in putting any preasure on Nudgee. TSS did well to come within 3 on the final whistle. IMO TSS lacked in attack and seemed to be defending most of the game, playing as individuals rather than as a team.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Out played I'm afraid.

Nudgee played well and did their homework last week. They kept possesion of the ball in the first half and made little mistakes. TSS lineouts 2 from 11 did not help in putting any preasure on Nudgee. TSS did well to come within 3 on the final whistle. IMO TSS lacked in attack and seemed to be defending most of the game, playing as individuals rather than as a team.

The moment we see that syndrome emerge in a top GPS team, either within one game or more persistently, is typically the moment we know its destiny lies in defeat.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Whats happening with the ippy program ... their results against bshs are very concerning... rumours out of the fursden rd bull ring is that the players at ippy have had a falling out with the coach... not many teachers involved in the program and a program that is in alitte disarray .... but a positive...great win by the u13a's over Bshs ... wasnt there but heard it was a cracker of a game ....

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Good to see the Nudgee forwards swapped their roller skates of last week for some rugby boots, amazing what a good and steady set piece can do.
Three games to go boys........
Also Kudos to the TSS 15A's for knocking over the NC15's, didn't see the match, but a top effort in taking that scalp.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
The moment we see that syndrome emerge in a top GPS team, either within one game or more persistently, is typically the moment we know its destiny lies in defeat.

Totally agree.
Give me a champion team (2014 ACGS) any day, not a team of egotistical individuals.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Totally agree.
Give me a champion team any day, not a team of egotistical individuals.

T168 - few saw it this way, by the positive version of this truth was one of Jason Glimore's biggest contributions to Churchie's 1sts when he was HC, and such seems to have stuck within 2015's team culture.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Su'a again,

The King, I don't have to sell Su'a to anyone, he does that himself. All I said is that he was a competent footballer; the highest accolade (IMO) that a schoolboy footballer can have at this early stage of his career. I have seen more than several truck loads of schoolboy footballer whom are raved about as junior footballers and come to not much due to a range of reasons. I stick by my opinion that Croft provides a lot of opportunity for him. Granted Su'a has to be there and take those opportunities (good for him), but it is the combination that provides that opportunity and not just his line breaking ability.

(King said: do you think Croft would break the line as often as he does if defenders weren't shitting themselves dealing with the threat of Su'a outside him?). I don't think defenders are too worried about whose outside whom, defenders are trying to tackle and attack the break-down where able to.

I haven't seen the BBC game on the weekend yet. How did he go there? He was good against Nudgee; it is probably better to judge performance against better opposition (TGS, TSS & BBC). BSHS will not be able to contain him and GT at the time they played them are not the same team as today.

Other Matters: You notes on the game NC v ACGS. Agree the missed tackles were high but you are a hard maker. I thought Jack Ireland and Tom Zappala also played well in that match, given how much they were on the back foot.

(The King said: He's a one man wrecking crew, and to deny him that must be sour grapes. He was immense v Nudgee.)

He was one of several good players for ACGS on the day. I thought the front row was outstanding, the #7 and #8 played their part. Croft had a greater part to play (as a leader as well) and the #13 also played well. King it's not sour grapes, again I reiterate that Churchie deserved their win; I never said that they didn't. I did explain that things went there way, but they had to take that.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
AhHmmm. There were many poor refs calls today, but, importantly, I think neither team got many more worse ones than the other to be fair. It was random and evenly distributed.

Just to balance out the ledger, ... <cut>

There are a number of games that I have witnesses or watched were the referees has been, well, sub-standard. I do understand the games are quick but...... Even on Saturday (NC v TSS) it seemed the "square-up" was on early, after NC dominated the first half. A 15-6 penalty count against NC, with 5 of them when they had the ball, which is tough love. The marginal decisions seemed to go against NC, when similar TSS "potential" infringements were not pulled up. The penalties made up for the poor lineouts for TSS where the throwing was not good.

Also watched BSHS v IGS where some of the referee decisions were also poor. The decision to sent-off a player after a tackle, (even though potential backchat was not heard over the ref's microphone), must of been disappointing for IGS fans.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
<snip>
Actually surprised that Nudgee got up. Having seen TSS play a fair bit of footy as well as Nudgee I was pretty convinced TSS would have it over NC but from the stream Nudgee looked slick.
Ah Getwithme, yee of little faith. I thought it would be close and I actually picked the score difference. Gavin Luka coming back and Liam Richman's return added to the NC resolve.

The King it was Liam Richman who was the goal kicker, so he's hardly a rookie. He missed a couple of goal kicks (two penalties and a conversion), which were gettable. However he did get a good strike on the ball but lacked the direction. The good news was that he kicked the ball dead, so it wasn't all bad. He has only been back at training for a week, so I'm sure he'll be practicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.