• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think BSHS are being treated a little harshly. They have their destiny in their own hands this weekend and I think they'll be up for the game. They've come out of a couple of close games with the win recently and that builds a lot of confidence.

In saying that I will be hoping for a TSS win and GT to beat NC so the red and black can share a premiership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Why is it all you BBC guys ever do is talk about the injuries you have. It gets monotonous.

This has been a common theme for at least 3 years now - something not right at Toowong?? the amount of injuries they suffer year in year out surely requires some attention - training methods, recovery sessions or injury management needs to come under some kind of review - it must be starting to push the boundaries of 'bad luck'.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
This has been a common theme for at least 3 years now - something not right at Toowong the amount of injuries they suffer year in year out surely requires some attention - training methods, recovery sessions or injury management needs to come under some king of review - it must be starting to push the boundaries of 'bad luck'.

I think the under-current is a lot of folks don't like some of the staff at Toowong and use this forum to vent ... Not particularly constructive.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I thought last year's injury toll was due to BBC taking part in the Stanix tournament and making it a long year. This year, particularly with new coach I thought the approach to strength and conditioning and focus on the GPS season would have minimised the injury toll to a greater extent.

It cannot be too much game and length of season to blame this year unless the commitments outside school are still too much.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I interviewed Shane Drahm at the beginning of the season and he said that in previous years the First XV had been wrapped in cotton wool to try prevent injuries.

This year he tried to reverse that by slamming them with heavy contact all preseason, because he figured that would harden them up a bit diving into the regular season which would slow the rate of injury.

With six out, I'm not sure whether or not that has worked.

Len Ikitau for one has missed games every single year of his three year First XV career.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
A blast from the past to finish up the season.

BBC v IGS

With more injuries than the lead landing craft on 'Saving Private Ryan' BBC's only chance is that the nearby Mi-Hi Tavern does not run a Woodstock Bourbon promotion with associated wet T shirt contest and tattoo show which could prove very distracting for the IGS lads. Although unlikely in those parts, were the Tavern to stage a combined cheeky Chardonnay and KY Jelly promotion, there is a certainty that most BBC fathers/ Old Boys would be absent from the match. My understanding is that BBC have bought the rights to 'Australian Survivor' so they can "employ" any "crew" that looks like they can score tries and be ready for season 2017. IGS by 5.

TGS v BGS

A resurgent TGS are seeking to add one more redemptive chapter to their season of "oh so close" by adding a BGS scalp to their collection this year. So many would say TGS could have been playing for a premiership this year but an inability to close out tight games saw too many chances squandered. If they can play a consistent game then BGS are no chance, despite their upset win over IGS last week. BGS will be frustrated there is no QCS Testing this week and may lose interest as they focus on 2017 offers to study at Harvard and Oxford and not be concerned with quaint regional distractions like this. My money is on the Farmers by 12.

BSHS v TSS

The Spray Tan's trip to Tarago Town is as popular as a whale blubber hors d'ouevre at a Greenpeace fundraiser. Many sleepless night will be had on the coast this week as the nouveau riche grapple with the issues associated with getting the stench of landfill and the working class out of tropical light weight wool. Both teams are capable of exciting rugby but the result will be all about which BSHS team turns up on the day. The question for the team is - are you happy with a share or do you want it outright? TSS have more to play for as BSHS are already assured of 4 letters of engraving on the cup. This said, I have seen BSHS stare down some worthy challengers this year and their unfairly maligned coach has done a great job to see them in this position. BSHS for me - by 5.

NC v GT

This one is going to bigger than the Elephant Man's hat. Edmund Rice will be rolling in his grave as the left footers get stuck into each other with very little compassion for the downtrodden as they seek a share of the cup with BSHS. I think the venue and intertwined school histories make this one the match of the round. I've seen both sides play this year and must say my money is on GT for the efficiency of their back row and the slickness of their halves. I am surprised that NC did not learn their lesson about closing out games, allowing both BBC and BSHS pull their pants down in the crucial final stages of games. This suggests to me that their heads are not in premiership mode. Then again, the GT stumble against TGS could have the same thing said about them. The team that wins will be the one which best controls their emotions on the day and I'm going to say this will be GT who will ride the back of a strong home ground crowd to a 2 point win.

Churchie - BYE. The Churchie crowd are pondering that wonderful "program" of theirs. 2014 -1st, 2015-1st, 2016- 9th. Yes, we all know what sort of "program" the Vikings have and that the new Rugby master inherited. You can bet you next Chai Latte that their Old Boys will be up in arms about this performance. Watch this space.

Thomas James

Frank Row (1)
I went over to Boondal on Saturday to catch the Nudgee vs State high Fixture. Arrived in time for 16A's, 2nds and Firsts. Surprisingly, a seriously different result in the three games.

16A's for Nudgee were outstanding, they have pace, strength, serious skill, and basically Dan Carter in the team with that red hot kicker. The front rowers are strong ball runners, with slick hands, and the half back pairing including a new kid I have not seen or heard of and the previous fly half for this team were great. Don't know how they have dropped games this season, I suppose it could come down to late arrivals of first fifteen squad members, not allowing this team to merge correctly. Regardless, they completely outplayed state high - Where is the depth here for state high?

2nds for Nudgee put a cricket score on State high. They beat them with skill, beat them with physicality, and beat them with brains. Amazing depth for Nudgee, they really wouldn't be worried about injuries with their 16A and 2nds teams being this good. Why the coaches don't use their reserves, I do not know. Where is the depth here for state high?

1sts was a ripper. State high turned up to play. Both teams were physical, angry, and amazingly skillful. NC 13 and NC 10 were outstanding, as was the back row. State high had great ball runners and fast outside backs. They got away with the win, but I do not know how. NC have depth, and state high don't. For god's sake use your bench Nudgee! Haven't seen players look that fatigued for both teams at the end in a long time. You cannot rely on your players that start to leave everything out on the field for 8 weeks. I believe Nudgee would have gone undefeated prems if they used their bench.

Anyways, great fixture, excited to see what both teams can put together for firsts next year and clash.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
i think its bloody ordinary, if this rumor is true. it just wrecks the idea of Schoolboy rugby.

dc79e2e38dfdad1ca789cbfa12788172.jpg

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
....and I'll ask the question again (no replies yet to previous post). What governance processes are there for checking the age and eligibility of 1st XV players and others?

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Which again raises the question - who is checking the compliance to these. I am increasingly of the opinion no-one and the rules are being ignored. From ethical and legal standpoints that is very scary.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Which again raises the question - who is checking the compliance to these. I am increasingly of the opinion no-one and the rules are being ignored. From ethical and legal standpoints that is very scary.

Yeah, this is true, but if you really did play a kid who was ineligible everyone would know, or at least word would get round fast. You would deliberately have to seek to conceal information on the student to get around this which is pretty nuts, and I don't think any school principal would participate in that.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah, this is true, but if you really did play a kid who was ineligible everyone would know, or at least word would get round fast. You would deliberately have to seek to conceal information on the student to get around this which is pretty nuts, and I don't think any school principal would participate in that.

Correct. It took one nano -second for NC to complain about the "full fee paying" boy who switched from Keebra Park to ACGS in 2nd term of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.