• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Which again raises the question - who is checking the compliance to these. I am increasingly of the opinion no-one and the rules are being ignored. From ethical and legal standpoints that is very scary.

It's actually an issue that's getting more and more attention.

For example, one school has a boy who played First XV last year that is now too old to play, after turning 19.

That boy is forbidden from playing First XV because of his age, so instead has been the star player for the school's Second XV.

On the one hand, that should provide you some relief that First XVs aren't going to risk fielding players that they know for sure are older. To answer your question, the schools are self-regulating.

But it does open a can of worms about whether these players should be allowed to compete at all. If they're considered too far above First XV level to play in that competition, it's not exactly fair to other boys to dump them into the Seconds to play at a level where their physicality is even more of an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Match reports are online here.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/qld-gps-r8-state-high-take-home-slice-of-premiership-pie/

Murray Taulagi BSHS v NC.jpg

Billet St

Frank Row (1)
It's actually an issue that's getting more and more attention.

For example, one school has a boy who played First XV last year that is now too old to play, after turning 19.

That boy is forbidden from playing First XV because of his age, so instead has been the star player for the school's Second XV.

On the one hand, that should provide you some relief that First XVs aren't going to risk fielding players that they know for sure are older. To answer your question, the schools are self-regulating.

But it does open a can of worms about whether these players should be allowed to compete at all. If they're considered too far above First XV level to play in that competition, it's not exactly fair to other boys to dump them into the Seconds to play at a level where their physicality is even more of an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPS competition rules forbid any player turning 19 to play opens(2nd XV or otherwise)

Whisperer

Frank Nicholson (4)
I interviewed Shane Drahm at the beginning of the season and he said that in previous years the First XV had been wrapped in cotton wool to try prevent injuries.

This year he tried to reverse that by slamming them with heavy contact all preseason, because he figured that would harden them up a bit diving into the regular season which would slow the rate of injury.

With six out, I'm not sure whether or not that has worked.

Len Ikitau for one has missed games every single year of his three year First XV career.
As far as I am aware all those who are out injured were injured in games. Concussion, torn hammy, shoulder etc
Not sure they could have done anything better

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Can someone enlighten me as to what governance processes are there in GPS Rugby for checking player's ages and eligibility?

..and I'll ask the question again (no replies yet to previous post). What governance processes are there for checking the age and eligibility of 1st XV players and others?

i think its bloody ordinary, if this rumour is true. it just wrecks the idea of Schoolboy rugby.

GPS competition rules forbid any player turning 19 to play opens(2nd XV or otherwise)

Anonymous person A starts new account to subtly draw attention to a complaint about a school. Person "B" starts account on same day confirming that A's allegation is against the rules. Person "C", also with a brand new account, weighs in that repeating players wrecks the idea of schoolboy rugby.

I wonder if these are all the same anonymous user who slammed one school's Director of Sport a page or so ago, back to stir up more controversy?

This is just so peak Green and Gold Rugby.

Thomas Hobbes

Frank Row (1)
I went over to Boondal on Saturday to catch the Nudgee vs State high Fixture. Arrived in time for 16A's, 2nds and Firsts. Surprisingly, a seriously different result in the three games.

16A's for Nudgee were outstanding, they have pace, strength, serious skill, and basically Dan Carter in the team with that red hot kicker. The front rowers are strong ball runners, with slick hands, and the half back pairing including a new kid I have not seen or heard of and the previous fly half for this team were great. Don't know how they have dropped games this season, I suppose it could come down to late arrivals of first fifteen squad members, not allowing this team to merge correctly. Regardless, they completely outplayed state high - Where is the depth here for state high?

2nds for Nudgee put a cricket score on State high. They beat them with skill, beat them with physicality, and beat them with brains. Amazing depth for Nudgee, they really wouldn't be worried about injuries with their 16A and 2nds teams being this good. Why the coaches don't use their reserves, I do not know. Where is the depth here for state high?

1sts was a ripper. State high turned up to play. Both teams were physical, angry, and amazingly skillful. NC 13 and NC 10 were outstanding, as was the back row. State high had great ball runners and fast outside backs. They got away with the win, but I do not know how. NC have depth, and state high don't. For god's sake use your bench Nudgee! Haven't seen players look that fatigued for both teams at the end in a long time. You cannot rely on your players that start to leave everything out on the field for 8 weeks. I believe Nudgee would have gone undefeated prems if they used their bench.

Anyways, great fixture, excited to see what both teams can put together for firsts next year and clash.

I think the goal kickers name is Tigger Sykes. This is his first year at half back and I think he is performing at an exceptionally high standard. Maybe a wing or fullback option for 1st XV next year? Regardless, a 16A's hampered by injuries to key forwards and an inconsistent back line have done well this year. I predict a red hot Nudgee next year, with players in key positions gaining valuable experience.

On the topic of seconds, I think it really shows the depth in the Nudgee Rugby program and demonstrates to BSHS that you can not function with only an A team in each age group.

I couldn't agree more on the topic of the bench. Tired errors lost Nudgee the game against BSHS and BBC. They can not afford to make the same mistakes this weekend when the stakes are so high.

This weekend, Nudgee MUST have Malala defending Eadie if they have any chance of winning the game. The 10 will have to move closer to the ruck as he is standing too deep at the moment. Finally, Nudgee must use the bench. An exciting weekend ahead, that is for sure.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Anonymous person A starts new account to subtly draw attention to a complaint about a school. Person "B" starts account on same day confirming that A's allegation is against the rules. Person "C", also with a brand new account, weighs in that repeating players wrecks the idea of schoolboy rugby.

I wonder if these are all the same anonymous user who slammed one school's Director of Sport a page or so ago, back to stir up more controversy?

This is just so peak Green and Gold Rugby.

Bingo!
You caught them.They really need to get over what it is they are hung up on.This is schoolboy rugby-meant to be fun for the boys.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Did some research on the "offending" school to check how old their players were.

Of the 24 players I know for sure to have taken the field at some point this year: two are currently 16-years-old, 14 are 17-years-old today, eight are 18-years-old today, and none are 19 years old or older.

Three players had listed themselves as older than 18, but I dug deeper and found out that they are indeed eligible to play.

Of the 24, there was just one player whose age I could not find. He is at least 17 with a very high probability of being 18, possibly even older.

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 6.15.42 PM.png

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Sid !

Given the heavy burden of Wallaby production line ( see discussion over the last few pages ) the yearning for more simple times of yesteryear by the old folk has long passed

Nice graph King but have you got the machine that goes BING !

Maxy

Peter Burge (5)
I think the goal kickers name is Tigger Sykes. This is his first year at half back and I think he is performing at an exceptionally high standard. Maybe a wing or fullback option for 1st XV next year? Regardless, a 16A's hampered by injuries to key forwards and an inconsistent back line have done well this year. I predict a red hot Nudgee next year, with players in key positions gaining valuable experience.

On the topic of seconds, I think it really shows the depth in the Nudgee Rugby program and demonstrates to BSHS that you can not function with only an A team in each age group.

I couldn't agree more on the topic of the bench. Tired errors lost Nudgee the game against BSHS and BBC. They can not afford to make the same mistakes this weekend when the stakes are so high.

This weekend, Nudgee MUST have Malala defending Eadie if they have any chance of winning the game. The 10 will have to move closer to the ruck as he is standing too deep at the moment. Finally, Nudgee must use the bench. An exciting weekend ahead, that is for sure.

Interesting discussion on the use of the "bench" in schoolboy rugby. We aren't talking about a Test/Super/Club rugby team of a squad of 15 run-on plus 8 fresh reserves. First XV is the run-on team supported by 7 reserves who (should) have already played at least half a game in 2nds or 16As I.E. no fresh reserves:

"33. REPLACEMENTS
33.1.1st XV teams will only select and field teams of fifteen (15) players only with a maximum of seven (7) replacement / substitute players. [Law 3 (14) (a) and (b) not to be applied].27
33.2.When a player leaves the field because of injury he is no longer allowed to return (the exception being in the case of the “blood bin” law). Replacements for First XV teams must have played at least half of either the 16A or 2nd XV match on that day i.e. no fresh reserves.28Exception being, if due to injury the next best player comes from 16B or 3rd XV29. "

Aren't we expecting a bit much of the "bench" - lower grade players who have probably already played a whole game to come on at the "business" end of the game and prevent the errors for the "tired" first choice players who haven't yet put in their 70 minutes! I just put this out there for discussion.

Thomas Hobbes

Frank Row (1)
Interesting discussion on the use of the "bench" in schoolboy rugby. We aren't talking about a Test/Super/Club rugby team of a squad of 15 run-on plus 8 fresh reserves. First XV is the run-on team supported by 7 reserves who (should) have already played at least half a game in 2nds or 16As I.E. no fresh reserves:

"33. REPLACEMENTS
33.1.1st XV teams will only select and field teams of fifteen (15) players only with a maximum of seven (7) replacement / substitute players. [Law 3 (14) (a) and (b) not to be applied].27
33.2.When a player leaves the field because of injury he is no longer allowed to return (the exception being in the case of the “blood bin” law). Replacements for First XV teams must have played at least half of either the 16A or 2nd XV match on that day i.e. no fresh reserves.28Exception being, if due to injury the next best player comes from 16B or 3rd XV29. "

Aren't we expecting a bit much of the "bench" - lower grade players who have probably already played a whole game to come on at the "business" end of the game and prevent the errors for the "tired" first choice players who haven't yet put in their 70 minutes! I just put this out there for discussion.

Fair call, however, you must remember that these boys have had more than 50 minutes rest before they go on and that is incredibly reasonable. Not only this, but a lot of depth lies in the 16A's, which has been widely discussed. The 16A's would have had an hour and a half to recover. Plus, they play 50-minute games. I would expect that this rejuvenating period allows the boys t be "fresh." Even if they were still slightly tired, they would be far less likely to make tired errors than boys who have been hammering themselves for 50 minutes straight. It is my opinion that those tiny lapses in thought due to fatigue is what cost Nudgee against BSHS and BBC.

But Maxy, if you believe that players with a 50-minute break are more likely to make tired errors than boys who have been flogging themselves for that period straight, then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. It is an important and strategical part of the game that I think is underrated in all forms of rugby, particularly schoolboys.

guildford

Peter Burge (5)
Fair call, however, you must remember that these boys have had more than 50 minutes rest before they go on and that is incredibly reasonable. Not only this, but a lot of depth lies in the 16A's, which has been widely discussed. The 16A's would have had an hour and a half to recover. Plus, they play 50-minute games. I would expect that this rejuvenating period allows the boys t be "fresh." Even if they were still slightly tired, they would be far less likely to make tired errors than boys who have been hammering themselves for 50 minutes straight. It is my opinion that those tiny lapses in thought due to fatigue is what cost Nudgee against BSHS and BBC.

But Maxy, if you believe that players with a 50-minute break are more likely to make tired errors than boys who have been flogging themselves for that period straight, then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. It is an important and strategical part of the game that I think is underrated in all forms of rugby, particularly schoolboys.

Can anyone confirm or enlighten how much game time the 5 "reserves" used by BBC in the Firsts had in the 2nds game? They all looked remarkably fresh with new strapping. Most interested to know if any of them had played that day or just part of the squad

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So as the season draws to a close ..........onwards to more meaty discussions ............

What school's canteen takes out the best burger award?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Rumour has it that, next season , TSS are considering outsourcing the promotion and service function of their canteen to the GC meter maids who , as they parade around the ground , will be draped with a sash that reads :

Try our burgers

Status
Not open for further replies.