• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Is it not the case that the boys are asking to leave BBC. There is allegedly a push at BBC to stop boys playing any club rugby or Rugby League if they are on a scholarship. The Headmasters agreement wouldn't apply in this instance.

Watch this space. Terrace may end up with a number of ex BBC students

Not even in a month of (Easter)Sundays

If you know them -ask those in decision making authority at Terrace how they feel about Club Rugby / League / External curricula and the like

They've already got enough emerging issue with their Rugby Recruitment "Type" in the last 2 years

So you are referencing a frying pan to fire type analogy

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
QWhat is it about the culture at BBC that prevents them from being successful?

.A-lots of things but for a start-they started recruiting 10 years after everyone else.So they started from a low base and a lack of winning culture. Essentially only 3 schools (apart from a hiccup in 2012 have won in last decade)TSS had not won a premiership until 2002 when they brought in Tapui brothers ,slipper and the 6 others who made Aussie Schools that year.

QWhen things don't go well, rather than looking for solutions, the focus seems to be on apportioning blame, which is not constructive. Talk to Barker and Philpotts about that. They now have their 3rd 1st XV coach in three years.

A.Talk to Phillpotts ? But he has been Dir of rugby for 3 years?He should be the one finding the solution. All coaches from last year are still at the school.
Barker had player revolts on his hands 3 years in a row and for the 3rd school in a row(. Eddie Jones methods do not work in Schools).

Danny Jnr

Bob McCowan (2)
I must agree with oldschool regarding the JGC Qld under 17 squad. The boys have played and done very well, however only a small handful of those boys will play First XV this year. If all the boys in this age group in Brisbane made themselves available there is only one player who would make a QLD team. That is the in centre from BSBS.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I must agree with oldschool regarding the JGC Qld under 17 squad. The boys have played and done very well, however only a small handful of those boys will play First XV this year. If all the boys in this age group in Brisbane made themselves available there is only one player who would make a QLD team. That is the in centre from BSBS.

While I don't entirely disagree I think you are being a little harsh - IMO there are 4 possibly 5 boys who will be key players for their schools this season and I expect most of those will play Qld Schools 1 or 2

As for the U15 side I think a team made up of those that didn't play JGC (+ a couple of omissions) would IMO start a warm favorite in a game against the Qld 15's.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
BBC taking 45 boys to Stradbroke but only 5 are under 16.
It was at this camp ladt year that 1st choice 9 broke his ankle and there were a number of other injuries. lets hope they do not go through 5 different centres this year.
A lot of pressure for numbers 1,2&3 this year.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
I hope Yanopa's knee injury is not serious. He has the potential to go a long way down the representative pathway if he is fit. Makeup of BBC forward pack will be interesting. There could be a bolter who has done a lot of work to be in great shape this year. Big, powerful unit with sublime skills.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I hope Yanopa's knee injury is not serious. He has the potential to go a long way down the representative pathway if he is fit. Makeup of BBC forward pack will be interesting. There could be a bolter who has done a lot of work to be in great shape this year. Big, powerful unit with sublime skills.

not sure who this big unit is ?Must be one of the rowers .
But Yanopa is all that is good about GPS rugby
- missionary' s son from wilds of PNG
-.comes to GPS school under Will Genia program
- learns rugby
- on track to get a great OP score
- a gentleman and a scholar

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
not sure who this big unit is ?Must be one of the rowers .
But Yanopa is all that is good about GPS rugby
- missionary' s son from wilds of PNG
-.comes to GPS school under Will Genia program
- learns rugby
- on track to get a great OP score
- a gentleman and a scholar

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
-He is from PNG and an adopted son of a white missionary
-But has lived in Cairns for years
-Also played rugby before he came to BBC.
-He rowed this year
No positions are assured at BBC.
New coaches have worked hard first term to build teamwork,strength and conditioning.
And what a great team of coaches they are.
The boys are very happy with the culture

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
-He is from PNG and an adopted son of a white missionary
-But has lived in Cairns for years
-Also played rugby before he came to BBC.
-He rowed this year
No positions are assured at BBC.
New coaches have worked hard first term to build teamwork,strength and conditioning.
And what a great team of coaches they are.
The boys are very happy with the culture

If you say so . But you must admit we have heard this before .

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
You think a 1st XV aren't training in Term 1? That would surprise me quite a bit.

Jets I know for sure that some teams have started training while others definitely have not.
A usual super rugby preseason would be alot shorter than what a GPS preseason is if you start in term 1

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
A super rugby team trains for 6 hours per day, 6 days a week during their preseason.

Schools train for 2 hours a day, three or four times a week at most.

Apples + Oranges.

I really hope BBC can put it together this year. They've been on the cusp for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
A super rugby team trains for 6 hours per day, 6 days a week during their preseason.

Apples + Oranges.

I really hope BBC can put it together this year. They've been on the cusp for so long.

yeah obviously that's excluding all the work the boys have to do personally on their game. But a two term preseason is too much and in the past has caused multiple injuries to some schools.

In other news the news, I heard the new TSS prop is a monster of a bloke

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)

Apples + Oranges.

Plenty down at TSS think BBC are the big danger.But if they have as many injuries as last year they will fall again.Are the ovals too hard at Toowong or what? Ridiculous number of injuries in last 3 years including now rep players like Conrad Quick,Lolo Fakilosea,and last year I think 4 rep players only played 2 matches between them.

Mr King I really enjoy your(fair & entertaining ) match summaries & hope you do it again this year.
You will enjoy watching the new TSS number 8 this year.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Mr King I really enjoy your(fair & entertaining ) match summaries & hope you do it again this year.

I've hitched my wagon to the University of Queensland's media unit this year, which unfortunately rules me out of covering the GPS Season.

It'll be the first I haven't covered since 2012.

I'm hoping that some other aspiring young sports journalist can take up the mantle.

Green and Gold has been a wonderful environment to find my voice writing, and I owe it plenty. If anyone is interested this year I'll be happy to help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.