• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Perhaps his Majesty was playing on from BAG's interpretation of what FIFO means ( Fly in and Fly out ) - hence the whole Heli Pad gag

I think we have established what it means now anyway

I'm sure His Majesty wasn't trying to be malevolent

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Yes, just trying to be funny. It's risky stuff for me - I generally come away with 50/50 success.

I hadn't heard of these RL boys, GG. Care to elaborate on who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Thanks King
Looking forward to your game summaries again.
The RL boys are one from Melbourne and one from Broncos(that went very very close to accepting/rugby l and swimmimg).
Lets just say BGS will be much improved this year-and they also were going to once Mr Mooney got his feet under the desk.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
TSS boys told me today that Ben Gunter BBC number 8 in 2014/5 has been offered a contact for Toyota in Japan coached by Robbie Deans.
Anyone from BBC confirm?
If so,Aussie Schoolboy selectors take note. 2015 Aussie Schools back row were too small.They needed Gunter or Emere from TSS

OU812

Stan Wickham (3)
TSS boys told me today that Ben Gunter BBC number 8 in 2014/5 has been offered a contact for Toyota in Japan coached by Robbie Deans.
Anyone from BBC confirm?

If so,Aussie Schoolboy selectors take note. 2015 Aussie Schools back row were too small.They needed Gunter or Emere from TSS

Gunter hadn't developed much since U16, hard to pick him on size alone when he didn't have impact as an 18yo in the GPS comp. To be fair he has been hampered by injury.

Emry was signed to the Cowboys and withdrew from the GPS schoolboy trials after the 1st round. Was a standout last year but his interests lay elsewhere.

Know both lads, good to see they are doing well post school.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Gunter definitely headed to Japan for a trial. He was invited because Toyota scouts spotted him tearing up in the Sanix Tournament.

There was a story in the papers about him leaving, but no follow-up story announcing he had signed.

Reckon your sources might have gotten mixed up between the two?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Gunter definitely headed to Japan for a trial. He was invited because Toyota scouts spotted him tearing up in the Sanix Tournament.

There was a story in the papers about him leaving, but no follow-up story announcing he had sign
Reckon your sources might have gotten mixed up between the two

Word out of BBC is that he heads back to Japan in April. Not sure if a full contract or a incentive contract.
The boys say he was staying with JP Piertson and Berrick Barnes last time.
Good luck to him he was bloody fit last time he went over.

PS- what a fine honourable young man.They make them good out Gunnedah way .

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)

There was a story in the papers about him leaving, but no follow-up story announcing he had
Reckon your sources might have gotten mixed up between the two?

yes i saw the tape of the Japan matches. Gunter looked like the 2 nd biggest player at the tournament. The biggest ,by far, was the South African winger!!!!!!!! called the White Rhino

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Apart from the well documented changes at BBC & BGS -are there any other coaching changes.
Who is coaching NC now Drahm has gone.?
Surely IGS have made changes.
Is Tom B still head of recruitment at Terrace or back into coaching again ?

faceforrugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
From what I saw Webster was the pick of the bunch.

To stir the pot a little depending on their front row strategy Bergin would be a fantastic No. 7 in a similar way as Moroney a couple of years ago. May be too light to have Bergin and Macklin together in the front row.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are the days of the smaller half and fly half over?
Look at Phillips from Wales at 1.91 and 101 kgs. What about Debreczeni at the Rebels at 1.92 and 102 kgs. Nothing against McIntyre at Reds but at 1.77 and 86 kgs or Greene at 1.78 and 88kgs they are not bust through men (obviously other great talents)
In school boy rugby don't we need to look more for big ball players at 9 or 10 as opposed to the darters ???

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Look at Phillips from Wales at 1.91 and 101 kgs. What about Debreczeni at the Rebels at 1.92 and 102 kgs. Nothing against McIntyre at Reds but at 1.77 and 86 kgs or Greene at 1.78 and 88kgs they are not bust through men (obviously other great talents)
In school boy rugby don't we need to look more for big ball players at 9 or 10 as opposed to the darters ???

What are we trying to turn this into a game of American Football or Sumo Wrestling

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Dan Carter is 176cm and he goes ok. His weight is around 92kg these days but I'm sure he was quite a bit lighter at school. Talent and skill will dictate who gets picked at 9 and 10, not size.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Informed and very intelligent response. I have watched a few years of Australian School Boy Rugby particularly against NZ. The half/ fly half channel has been ugly for us. Not knocking anybody but the Carters and Beales are few and far between. The good big guy is always better than the good little guy. I just think we need to upsize.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Informed and very intelligent response. I have watched a few years of Australian School Boy Rugby particularly against NZ. The half/ fly half channel has been ugly for us. Not knocking anybody but the Carters and Beales are few and far between. The good big guy is always better than the good little guy. I just think we need to upsize.
The good big guy.....etc quote is an oft used boxing quote. In recent years rugby has become a bit size obsessive. Wingers are a case in point. But there's still only one Jonah Lomu. But the evolution from the Rob Egerton 1991 winger prototype to the 2015 Julian Savea model has been an appropriate one. Size, power, speed all matter in that position. The same evolution has happened in the NRL.

However, the "physicality" term is now a bit over used and over analysed across the spectrum of positions at the expense of attributes like agility, vision and guile. Not that physicality isn't important, it is just out of kilter with the other skills required. Pick a big team and it doesn't guarantee success.....think South Africa v Japan.

Halves are getting bigger in both codes but I don't see many Mike Phillips prototypes in world rugby or the NRL. Maybe that's why they're halves?

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
The good big guy...etc quote is an oft used boxing quote. In recent years rugby has become a bit size obsessive. Wingers are a case in point. But there's still only one Jonah Lomu. But the evolution from the Rob Egerton 1991 winger prototype to the 2015 Julian Savea model has been an appropriate one. Size, power, speed all matter in that position. The same evolution has happened in the NRL.

However, the "physicality" term is now a bit over used and over analysed across the spectrum of positions at the expense of attributes like agility, vision and guile. Not that physicality isn't important, it is just out of kilter with the other skills required. Pick a big team and it doesn't guarantee success...think South Africa v Japan.

Halves are getting bigger in both codes but I don't see many Mike Phillips prototypes in world rugby or the NRL. Maybe that's why they're halves?

One of the great things about Rugby is that it is a game for all body types and not a one size fits all. Then ability and heart come into it to determine how far you can go with it.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)

Might be wrong but those two are probably not the best examples of successful "Big" halves or the best examples of successful smaller halves either.
These two positions require firstly organisational skill and a very high skill set probably the highest in the team and superior agility - Most smaller players of quality put a lot of time into skill training to perhaps compensate for size.
I don't believe its necessary to look for big ball players at 9 or 10 at schoolboy level but skilled players, This is a flaw in Aust junior rugby in that they tend to look for size over skill . The NZ schools V Aust schools is a good example the NZ 10 was not big and in fact was a year younger than his team mates but probably the best player on the park in how he controlled the game, I thought the Aust team across the park were bigger than there NZ counter parts but could not match them for skill from 1 to 23

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Why it is an either / or argument ?

Why not both ?

Big Halves with the same fundamental skillsets will become more the norm within 10 years at the elite level in Senior Rugby. It's inevitable.

Sure there will be different "styles" of 9's and 10's just as the 12 has become a variable style ( depending on Selectors / Coaches preferences and how it fits the rest of a team's composition )

But with the advance of Sports Science over the last generation that is throwing "new breed" types here and there it will take the maturation of the current junior crop for this to become more and more ingrained

And it's not just height and weight . It's going to be about A LOT of other variables as well like :

1. Standing Reach
2. Wing Span
3. Hand Width / Finger Length - Thickness

To name but a few ..........

I mean - you might be a 6'1 guy but have a 6'6 wing span and be 9 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger and be 4.5 inches wide across your hands.

Don't think this player will have an advantage at the breakdown or in the line out against a traditional 6'1 / 6'2 No 7 who is in more proportion with standing reach , wingspan and hand size/width of a regular sized 6'1/6'2 guy ?

So .....more and more at a junior developmental level and promotion of the game at the grass roots level in new communities this will , in time , change the game and of certain body types that redefine positions ( and most likely certain ethnicities with body types that give that advantage )

Nothing stays the same

Status
Not open for further replies.