• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Are you guys serious ??
They are schoolboys. This was term 1 . Rugby is term 3.
If they want to row -let them.
If they want to play volleyball/cricket-let them,

Yeah if the kid wants to, then go for it. We're just observing that the statement that rowing is good for rugby is a lot more grey than that and not always true.

It also gets grey when the coach is encouraging or perhaps forcing kids to do other sports, as the accusation is at BBC. If the kid also wants to consider a future in rugby, maybe schoolboys, premier, get a contract, then yeah be wise about how you develop your body.

Having said that, lets not kid ourselves... Kids as young as 13 are being encouraged by coaches and parents into other sports like track and field to develop speed, and so on.

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Darcy dominated line outs in GPS and was exceptional in this aspect of the game playing for Aussie Barbarians. People were always quick to dismiss him because of his lean frame. With his work ethic and his ability, combined with a very level head on his shoulders, I can't believe the Brumbies are the only ones to have the foresight to imagine the impact he will have with another 15 to 20kg on his frame.

As for the rowing thing, I don't think anyone is saying rugby players should not row if that's what they want to do. Having the choice to row or not to row seems to be the central issue. For some positions and some individuals, it is the best way to lose weight and increase fitness but for others, it can be detrimental i.e. losing speed or losing much needed bulk.

Preseason training would ideally take into account the individual player's needs based on their body type and playing position.

It will be good when the season starts and we can talk about the actual rugby.

I think BSHS might surprise a few and I suspect GT will have quite a sprinkling of under 16's pushing for selection this year and should be strong at the top level next year.

A shame the immersion program interferes with the under 15 season. GT V Nudgee would have been a ding dong battle last year.

This year, it is hard to imagine anyone stopping BBC under 15. Full credit to GT for defeating them last year but they will find it hard if they are without a few due to immersion.

Having said that, I think the immersion program is a wonderful thing and perhaps provides boys with a healthy dose of perspective. After all, most of them will not pursue a career in rugby but all of them will be citizens in a world that can do with some more empathy.

Under 16 this year will be interesting with players playing up in 1st XV. It might open things up a little for the others.

That is my two cents worth for now.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree BSHS will be up there if they can win enough ball they will have a very good backline boys from last year and talented 16 yr olds with RL backgrounds.

Sorry JH can't see too many 16s at GT making their way into 1sts one or two who do you see putting there hand up?

Any new boys doing the rounds at GPS schools - Nudgee have a couple from RL any other schools?

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think BSHS might surprise a few and I suspect GT will have quite a sprinkling of under 16's pushing for selection this year and should be strong at the top level next year.

A shame the immersion program interferes with the under 15 season. GT V Nudgee would have been a ding dong battle last year.

This year, it is hard to imagine anyone stopping BBC under 15. Full credit to GT for defeating them last year but they will find it hard if they are without a few due to immersion.

BSHS have the cattle, but their coaching structure needs work. They were a better team than their results last year and that came down to a lot of missed chances.

Definitely a shame immersion takes away from the 15s. GT play NC in a pre-season trial so I think the boys will treat that as a proper match! Will be good to get a long to.

BSHS, & IGS also have new boys. I thought BSHS were the best team last year in the 14s but played such selfish rugby that cost them a lot.

Not sure about BBC however, I hear they lost boys? I think they would probably get done by IGS, BSHS, and NC, if not GT again if not for immersion.

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree BSHS will be up there if they can win enough ball they will have a very good backline boys from last year and talented 16 yr olds with RL backgrounds.

Sorry JH can't see too many 16s at GT making their way into 1sts one or two who do you see putting there hand up?

Any new boys doing the rounds at GPS schools - Nudgee have a couple from RL any other schools?

Don't know names but, from memory they had a very strong centre and loses forward who did some damage to other teams. Not sure if they will make 1st XV but will provide competition for the incumbents.

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
BSHS have the cattle, but their coaching structure needs work. They were a better team than their results last year and that came down to a lot of missed chances.

Definitely a shame immersion takes away from the 15s. GT play NC in a pre-season trial so I think the boys will treat that as a proper match! Will be good to get a long to.

BSHS, & IGS also have new boys. I thought BSHS were the best team last year in the 14s but played such selfish rugby that cost them a lot.

Not sure about BBC however, I hear they lost boys? I think they would probably get done by IGS, BSHS, and NC, if not GT again if not for immersion.

The GT V Nudgee trial will be a cracker in the 16's.

Based purely on results, GT and BBC were the two best teams in Under 15 last year. Perhaps if BSHS learn to play unselfish rugby and function as a team they might threaten BBC and GT who both have talented players but, more importantly, play as a team.

Under 15 is often an age group where things are shaken up as boys mature physically but also develop maturity, discipline and focus that they may not have had as under 13's or 14's. The BSHS side certainly does not lack talent. They have good forwards and some very potent attacking backs. If they pull it together, they can threaten.

I know there were some rumours about current BBC under 15's departing last year but I am not sure any of them actually left. If that team is intact from last year, it is difficult to imagine IGS, BSHS, NC and GT beating them unless those teams have added to their playing list, benefit from some astute coaching and employ good teamwork.

GT would be the biggest threat but it depends on timing of immersion. If they are at full strength, they are certainly capable of a win over BBC. If the under 15 coach is the same as last year, they will be in very good hands.

The coaching set up at GT is a good one. Not sure what his actual title is but they have a coaching director who provides support to coaches as distinct to administration. He focuses purely on coaching and strategy and he has considerable experience and success behind him.

It would be a mistake to assume that BBC 13A's in 2014 and 14A's in 2015 built their success on bigger, physically developed players dominating weaker opposition. If that was the case it is more conceivable that other teams might catch up.

The truth is, they have beaten teams in the past two years who were bigger and perhaps stronger in some areas of the game.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)

Based purely on results, GT and BBC were the two best teams in Under 15 last year. Perhaps if BSHS learn to play unselfish rugby and function as a team they might threaten BBC and GT who both have talented players but, more importantly, play as a team.

Based on results, GT and BBC where in the also ran category

Rugby - The Great Public Schools' Association o ... > U15A 2015

Fixtures/Results/ Ladders
U15A
FIXTURERESULTSLADDERSEASON STATSMORE
BY ROUND
CURRENT LADDER
POS TEAM P W L D B
1 Ipswich Grammar School 15A 8 6 2 0 1
2 St Joseph's Nudgee College 15A 8 6 2 0 1
3 The Southport School 15A 8 5 2 1 1
4 Brisbane State High School 15A 8 5 3 0 1
5 St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace 15A 8 4 4 0 1
6 Brisbane Boys' College 15A 7 3 4 0 1
7 Anglican Church Grammar School 15A 8 3 5 0 1
8 Toowoomba Grammar School 15A 7 2 4 1 1
9 Brisbane Grammar School 15A
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?a=LADDER&compID=377138&c=0-11046-0-0-0

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Based on results, GT and BBC where in the also ran category

Rugby - The Great Public Schools' Association o . > U15A 2015

Fixtures/Results/ Ladders
U15A
FIXTURERESULTSLADDERSEASON STATSMORE
BY ROUND
CURRENT LADDER
POS TEAM P W L D B
1 Ipswich Grammar School 15A 8 6 2 0 1
2 St Joseph's Nudgee College 15A 8 6 2 0 1
3 The Southport School 15A 8 5 2 1 1
4 Brisbane State High School 15A 8 5 3 0 1
5 St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace 15A 8 4 4 0 1
6 Brisbane Boys' College 15A 7 3 4 0 1
7 Anglican Church Grammar School 15A 8 3 5 0 1
8 Toowoomba Grammar School 15A 7 2 4 1 1
9 Brisbane Grammar School 15A
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?a=LADDER&compID=377138&c=0-11046-0-0-0

Sorry, I meant Under 14 last year. Talking about the 2016 Under 15 age group. Sorry for the confusion.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sorry, I meant Under 14 last year. Talking about the 2016 Under 15 age group. Sorry for the confusion.

Confirming all the BBC 14 A players from last year are back as is the big centre that was injured most of last year.no one has left .
This team has lost one match in 3 years.
But the brother of one player is in grade 8 at GT this year.This is where the rumours started.
Seems when he made Qld under 12 RL team last year GT made an offer BBC would not match .This issue went right up the chain.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
i expect BBC 16As to be very strong this year. it seems highly unlikely that any will be in 1st xv contention( only 4 or 5 in a 45 boy squad) and a lot were injured last year.Plus i hear Jaydn Ngamanus cousin is back from injury and has jet shoes as well .

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
i expect BBC 16As to be very strong this year. it seems highly unlikely that any will be in 1st xv contention( only 4 or 5 in a 45 boy squad) and a lot were injured last year.Plus i hear Jaydn Ngamanus cousin is back from injury and has jet shoes as well .
The 16A's are going to be very competitive this year.
With a number of boys potentially stepping up to the 1st's this year it is going to make for a very even contest between the top 5 or 6 teams in the 16's.
Definitely worth getting along to the games.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)

The coaching set up at GT is a good one. Not sure what his actual title is but they have a coaching director who provides support to coaches as distinct to administration. He focuses purely on coaching and strategy and he has considerable experience and success behind him.

It would be a mistake to assume that BBC 13A's in 2014 and 14A's in 2015 built their success on bigger, physically developed players dominating weaker opposition. If that was the case it is more conceivable that other teams might catch up.

The truth is, they have beaten teams in the past two years who were bigger and perhaps stronger in some areas of the game.

Tom Barker is the coaching director at GT now isn't he? ACGS do the same thing, so this top down coaching right through the age groups is a thing now.

Coaches tend not to follow age groups, they stay. So All these teams in the 15s would have new coaches with only rare exceptions.

There was a youtube video of the GT v BBC U14 match from last year posted here. BBC looked rubbish and were out-played by GT almost everywhere. I cannot understand how IGS and BSHS didn't also beat BBC based on that video. Then again GT were playing well, so perhaps they just made BBC look ordinary.

If you go back over the years and look at the change in results from U14 to U15 they are always dramatic. Don't forget too that schools like TSS don't really do much until year 10, they can get flogged in years 8 and 9 and then suddenly win the comp in year 10.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Confirming all the BBC 14 A players from last year are back as is the big centre that was injured most of last year.no one has left .
This team has lost one match in 3 years.
But the brother of one player is in grade 8 at GT this year.This is where the rumours started.
Seems when he made Qld under 12 RL team last year GT made an offer BBC would not match .This issue went right up the chain.

Ah, I see. It's not uncommon to see boys change schools in years 8 to 10 these days. I wonder if that's because they go to a school and it's not what they expected, wanted, promised, etc.

GT need all the help they can get in that age group. I see most of the BSHS games each year, and last year BSHS hardly broke a sweat against GTs 13s. Probably why GT were looking for boys at the RL 12s.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)

After last year you'd expect a pretty strong 1st XV without too many 16s in the starting side.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)

I always find this statement interesting - what did or could they offer that BBC wouldn't - other than fee relief that BBC hands out like candy at any rate.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
There was a youtube video of the GT v BBC U14 match from last year posted here. BBC looked rubbish and were out-played by GT almost everywhere. I cannot understand how IGS and BSHS didn't also beat BBC based on that video. Then again GT were playing well, so perhaps they just made BBC look ordinary.

They certainly were not rubbish when they pumped NC by over 25 points & GT and NC played a draw. That BBc backline was electric.
I looked at scores last year-you are judging a season by one game.
From what I see BBC beat every other school by margins far greater that GT did.

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)

They certainly were not rubbish when they pumped NC by over 25 points & GT and NC played a draw. That BBc backline was electric.
I looked at scores last year-you are judging a season by one game.
From what I see BBC beat every other school by margins far greater that GT did.

I think it is also important to remember one of the team lost his father the week BBC played GT. To say that impaired preparation would be an understatement as the boys were focused on more important things such as supporting their grieving mate and grieving themselves.

Please remember as well we are discussing schoolboys here so probably best not to describe them as "rubbish". It would be more beneficial to point out specific areas of their play that you think could be improved.

As Blue & White says, the BBC backline has potent attacking players in every position. If they had a bad game that week, it probably wasn't the end of their world. I imagine they are a team that is confident in their ability to get the job done and I hope they are humble enough to know 1st XV premierships are not won in year 8, 9 or 10. Success along the way helps to build confidence, which can be a useful thing, but they need to keep working hard and developing their talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.