• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I think it is also important to remember one of the team lost his father the week BBC played GT. To say that impaired preparation would be an understatement as the boys were focused on more important things such as supporting their grieving mate and grieving themselves.

BBC are a quality side that played pretty well that day - GT's back row just dominated the ruck, the12 continually made big meters up the middle with quick recycled ball and 13 scored a great team try while the team tackled themselves to a stand still - their one on one defense was outstanding.

BBC played as well as they were allowed to and kept the score close enough so they were always in the game.

On any other day it would have been a different match as it always is when two quality sides clash.

Frank Nicholson (4)
Regarding BSHS, what has changed for this year??
Some wraps given for 2016 but their 2015 16A's lost 8/8.
I'm told they soundly beat an AIC team in a trial game recently (MCA or StPats) but I would expect most if not all the GPS schools to do well against AIC schools nowadays.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Regarding BSHS, what has changed for this year??
Some wraps given for 2016 but their 2015 16A's lost 8/8.
I'm told they soundly beat an AIC team in a trial game recently (MCA or StPats) but I would expect most if not all the GPS schools to do well against AIC schools nowadays.

The score for GPS 1 v AIC 1 over last 2 years is 110-5.

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree. Its a one horse race and I'm not interested in AIC at all but I'm genuinely interested in how or why BSHS is being given some wraps for this year given such a poor performance by 16A's last year.
Year 11 boys???

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Agree. Its a one horse race and I'm not interested in AIC at all but I'm genuinely interested in how or why BSHS is being given some wraps for this year given such a poor performance by 16A's last year.
Year 11 boys???

Good point.
Lets not forget TSS were 16 premiers & have 7 back from 1sts last year plus 2 new boys.
Hopes are high.But so was 2013:(

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Year 11 boys???

Probably because that most of the 16A's from BSHS last year were playing in the 1st XV and the fact they rolled the Butcher boy's from their umteenth premiership, showing the old adage don't count your chickens.........

Frank Nicholson (4)
OK. I didn't realise they had lots of year 11's play IstXV last year.
I know GT and BGS had significant y11's but not BSHS.
good luck to them.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Finished equal on pts with NC 16's actually, but i admit TSS did beat NC in the match up!
Yes TSS only lost one match and were thumped 28-5 by BBC in round 2. I understand that after that(as is not unusual) BBC had a few boys go up to 1sts and a few injured -but still finished 2nd.
Does anyone know how many BBC 16A boys from last year might be in 1sts? I read somewhere they have a number from 1sts back this year..

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)
BBC are a quality side that played pretty well that day - GT's back row just dominated the ruck, the12 continually made big meters up the middle with quick recycled ball and 13 scored a great team try while the team tackled themselves to a stand still - their one on one defense was outstanding.

BBC played as well as they were allowed to and kept the score close enough so they were always in the game.

On any other day it would have been a different match as it always is when two quality sides clash.

I reckon that is a pretty fair assessment of how that game played out. The fact that BBC. GT have a very good back row and were able to provide momentum for their backs.

As you say, they are two quality sides and their clashes will be worth watching over the coming years.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
So while everyone is talking about the usual suspects don't forget about the boys on top of the range. From all reports the New Zealand Tour was a great success for the school. The School has had no turnover of coaches through all ages in there A squads for the last couple of years. They have a very structured Rugby program looking to develop the boys as they move up through the age groups.
The School is a classic example of were the younger age groups not necessarily doing that well but certainly improving as they get older. And while they do have the odd import you would be flat to count them on one hand through all the age groups combined.
There is certainly a very positive vibe coming out of there at the moment. Their firsts this year could be the comps dark horses and could figure in the mix.

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
So while everyone is talking about the usual suspects don't forget about the boys on top of the range. From all reports the New Zealand Tour was a great success for the school. The School has had no turnover of coaches through all ages in there A squads for the last couple of years. They have a very structured Rugby program looking to develop the boys as they move up through the age groups.
The School is a classic example of were the younger age groups not necessarily doing that well but certainly improving as they get older. And while they do have the odd import you would be flat to count them on one hand through all the age groups combined.
There is certainly a very positive vibe coming out of there at the moment. Their firsts this year could be the comps dark horses and could figure in the mix.
Good call TGS will be strong however the only suspects being talked about is BBC, TSS and GT so lets leave it that way and see what transpires :)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Jack Hardy

Frank Nicholson (4)

Planning for success by implementing a sequenced program to develop talent beginning with the younger years? What a novel concept. Others could learn from this approach.

Good luck TGS. Hope you go well this year.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
[Mr Cj
re BBC

Unless there are injuries then cant see any new ones going up apart from at 14 perhaps.
3,4 , 9,10 and 12 in the last 4 matches of 1st xv were all under 16 last year,[/quote]

properjob

Allen Oxlade (6)
Discount away CJ as its not often NC are underdogs! A tag i think they will like!!

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Discount away CJ as its not often NC are underdogs! A tag i think they will like!!

Yes -I know all that BUT:
1) we have a great draw with BBC(old boys day) & TGS at home ;
2) A great record at Ross oval;
3) A lot of experience and boys back+ a premiership 16 A team last year.
4) a few new surprises
Not a bad recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.