• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

Frank Row (1)
Great to see the amount of GT players in the GPS sides, have a great squad this year and should go a long way in the competition if they stay injury free. Look out for Harry Wilson GPS 2 second rower, great work rate and hits hard, only in year 11 as well definitely one to look out for!!

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Great to see the amount of GT players in the GPS sides, have a great squad this year and should go a long way in the competition if they stay injury free. Look out for Harry Wilson GPS 2 second rower, great work rate and hits hard, only in year 11 as well definitely one to look out for!!

was he there last year or new this year?

OU812

Stan Wickham (3)
I hope they prove me wrong but this squad does not look as strong as previous years.
It was obvious last year that Hewart,Ngamanu, Farrell J ,Riley, Lenac,Wolske , Luka,Robertson were going to Aussie Schools because they had the previous year or almost had the previous year.
Cant say that this year.
I have concerns

I think there could be a higher representation from non gps players than previous years in the 2 qld teams. Will be interesting.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Terrace up against Ipswich about 5 tries to three. Lost their number 8 for the season with a dislocated ankle. Scrappy match. Lucas showed class. Eadie on the wing was brilliant with limited chances. The outside centre as big as he is can't pass. Wilson the number 5 is the real deal.

Under 16 Terrace up 4 tries to one. They looked very sharp. Big back line with great hands at 12. Forwards aggressive. Will be hard to beat

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Sad news about the injury to a good player.But as someone else said:

1) there seem to be an enormous number of injuries already this year;
2) you need luck in that respect and ACGS have certainly had that in last 2 years and especially last year.

Nohope3000

Frank Row (1)
Again, sorry. I'm procrastinating like crazy.

My initial reaction was "of course, BSHS would wipe the floor with them", but I was too young to really understand what was going on watching that 2009 team.

I think if you looked at results, I feel would have BSHS won their games by a larger margin than Churchie in 2014, which further skews my gut feeling towards State High.

If you look at star players from BSHS, Curtis Browning, Sautia and Paul Alo'Emile went on to make names for themselves, so there was a talented core of players there.

Then I put on my devils advocate hat.

BSHS dominated in an era where TSS and NC were the only teams handing out sports scholarships. The rest of the competition was far weaker than what it is today.

Churchie won their premiership only playing against one non-sorting scholarship school (BGS, whose imports to build the team around were literally all hurt).

In terms of star power, it took Browning until 2016 to be a legit starter for the Reds. Sautia's injuries kept him out of contention for years. Alo'Emile wasn't considered good enough for Queensland to try keep. Rohan Saifoloi (flyhalf) is a Shute shield starter who looks like will never go pro. Matt Ika was an occasional starter at Norths last year. Jordan Tuapou I think has retired completely after the birth of his baby. Joey Lalagavesi played Reserve Grade for Souths last year. Joel Faulkner was a standard Premier Grade winger at Easts.

Compare that to Churchie's 2014 class.

The Broncos youngest ever forward to play in the NRL. The Cowboys 17 year old who started a bidding war accross every NRL team and Super Rugby team in the country, and who has already trained with the NZ National league team. The lock who Brad Thorn told me "would be the next Rob Simmons, with none of the injuries holding him back". The 5'9 winger who the Reds signed after just two NRC games. Three other Australian U20 representatives just one year out of school.

Ultimately it comes down to a yard stick for me. The one game I saw both teams play.

BSHS 103-0. ACGS 93-0.

State High received the kickoff, spread it through the hands and scored, almost every single phase. Much like Nudgee v BGS in 2015, they didn't need to create anything in attack because the defence was so bad.

ACGS, under the leadership of Mason at 10, were calling moves in general play that were literally unstoppable. Attacking threats like Izaia Perese, Ponga, Su'a and Croft were just too dynamic for BGS to lay hands on - through sheer skill and athleticism, not shameful defending.

I think I'd take Churchie by four points. It would be a fantastic game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warning. This post contains the opinion of a Churchie parent. I watched the 2014 game ACGS v BGS live, have never seen a replay but have seen The Waterboy YouTubes. IMHO, the Grammar boys deserve some recognition. No disgrace in their performance. They were outgunned but gave a full effort. Not many people in the same situation would have.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
When are the GPS games and how much time do bench players usually get? Is it up to the discretion of their coach or?

allblackseverything

Frank Row (1)
Churchie absolutely dominated Nudgee in the 16’s. The Nudgee 16’s on the other hand needed more composure I think, because when under pressure, they just did not know what to do. Don’t know whether this was due to it being their first trial or just because of a lack of coaching- but only time will tell. They have some considerable size and I reckon if they can string together some good structure, then they’ll be hard to stop. Churchie were just smarter and more physical. The Churchie hooker and seven particularly caught my eye and I would say could possibly even get a run on for firsts if they continue to play the way they did.

Also managed to catch a glimpse of the second’s game before I left. Totally opposite from the 16’s game, with NC dominating the Churchie seconds. There seemed to be very little cohesion on the Churchie behalf and the smarter NC side capitalised. The Churchie seven was quite good, with his work around the field. Maybe the only standout from their seconds. Saw Harry Luka play for NC- he got around albeit unfit. Surprised he didn’t get a run on for firsts. The tighthead prop from NC caught my eye- dominated in the scrum and not just for his size, but technically one of the best youngsters I’ve seen (I’m a scrum tragic). He was quite mobile for his size too. Never seen him before- anyone from NC know who he is or is he new?

Overall, I think NC have considerable depth in the opens, just by looking at their seconds. Churchie on the other hand need to say their prayers, because a few injuries in the firsts, may mean their season is a lost cause.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Queensland Schoolboys Trials

One game on Wednesday 22nd June and then Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th

All at Ballymore, haven't got kickoff times yet but will closer to the date

Edit: Games will apparently be at night-time

Status
Not open for further replies.