• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought Tupou had an off night as well.

I thought it was a pretty poor showing from all the GPS teams.

I sat down and picked a team of the day and only Matt Faessler, Fraser McReight, Tristan Stanghorn, Callum Hicks and Will Eadie made it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
have to agree. Hicks must be a certain for QLD1. Would be great to see the players on the bench get equal time. GPS 2 held 6 until final ten minutes. The team then ran in 21 -0 points!!!! Players were told, given no second trial, all players would get close to equal game time.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I think Tupou's performance could best be described as "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

Plenty of touches, plenty of sidesteps - but no tackle busts to show for it. Fully contained by the defence.

I thought Lucas was only marginally the better flyhalf between himself and Augustus Rangihuna, and both were overshadowed by CSS' Matt McCarthy and AIC's De Flavis.

Hicks looked particularly dynamic, and I was also impressed by his team-mate Josh Sheridan at 7. He's clearly in the mould of Michael Hooper and Michael Gunn, but seems very undersized for higher competition. He had some nice carries and a good shot or two, but I still prefer McReight.

Will Eadie is even better then he was last year. It'll be an exciting year for him.

Faessler's line out throwing was the best of any player on the day.

Halfback and back row were by far the weakest positions on the GPS team. Not one GPS halfback showed anything beyond providing service.

I'm also a big believer in the right five winning the ball, back three in running it. In that regard only McReight stood out in the GPS contingent, with an industrious work rate. Mavoa and Tafa didn't have any good runs, or contribute much at all in my eyes - they will have plenty to play for today in keeping the excellent AIC 6 & 8 combo of Jeral Skelton and Justin Sikimeti out of the Queensland teaM

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Good to see you give Skelton and Simemetti the acknowledgment King

I think you are overly critical on Tupuo. He was threatening and for me made the right plays with the defensive coverage on him instead of overplaying his hand . Found support players or reset . I actually thought he played a mature game

I also liked Nasser and Lucas - especially the latter's game management and choices of when to take on the line . Even a spin move in contact - a decent nod to his instincts and depth of his talent

Not sure about his kicking game though .

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think Tupou's performance could best be described as "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

Plenty of touches, plenty of sidesteps - but no tackle busts to show for it. Fully contained by the defence.

I thought Lucas was only marginally the better flyhalf between himself and Augustus Rangihuna, and both were overshadowed by CSS' Matt McCarthy and AIC's De Flavis.

Hicks looked particularly dynamic, and I was also impressed by his team-mate Josh Sheridan at 7. He's clearly in the mould of Michael Hooper and Michael Gunn, but seems very undersized for higher competition. He had some nice carries and a good shot or two, but I still prefer McReight.

Will Eadie is even better then he was last year. It'll be an exciting year for him.

Faessler's line out throwing was the best of any player on the day.

Halfback and back row were by far the weakest positions on the GPS team. Not one GPS halfback showed anything beyond providing service.

I'm also a big believer in the right five winning the ball, back three in running it. In that regard only McReight stood out in the GPS contingent, with an industrious work rate. Mavoa and Tafa didn't have any good runs, or contribute much at all in my eyes - they will have plenty to play for today in keeping the excellent AIC 6 & 8 combo of Jeral Skelton and Justin Sikimeti out of the Queensland teaM

Hi all,
I do agree with you king, some good points, I would love to see gps 2 fullback go to gps1 fullback today and see some of leonard at 15 from bench. I think he deserves some sort of shot

7 in gps2 was awesome, not in total agreeance on size issue, point in reference pocock at 8

I must admit I was impressed by 10,12,13 in gps2 in that they drew and pass and gave wingers the ball

15manHagar

Frank Row (1)
I agree with some of the picks of the highlights from yesterday but respectfully have to disagree with a few comments. I thought Lucas was outstanding considering the lack of protection his forwards gave him. Hicks and Eadie both looked good.
The King's view that the tight five win the ball and the back three run it works when your forwards are dominating; against CSS GPS1 clearly didn't dominate upfront and more ball winning from the back three was needed rather than trying to set up the glory runs (At Nationals, the tight games will need the forwards to play like forwards rather than twinkle-toed three quarters, IMHO). In the front rows, some decent performances throughout the day (without real standouts from props or hookers), but in GPS 1 match, I saw it as Gorman over Nasser in terms of both contribution to the scrums and around the park. Today's games will be very interesting.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Queensland 1
Name School
1 Lloyd Gorman Brisbane State High School
2 Sean Farrell Brisbane Boys' College
3 Laurence Tominiko Keebra Park SHS
4 Matt Wilshire Toowoomba Grammar School
5 Victor Tualima Brisbane State High School
6 Jeral Skelton St Patrick's College
7 Fraser McReight Brisbane Grammar School
8 Justin Sikemeti St Patrick's College
9 Tate McDermott Sunshine Coast Grammar School
10 Isaac Lucas St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace
11 Will Eadie St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace
12 Quinton Mahina Brisbane State High School
13 Tristan Stanghorn Anglican Church Grammar School
14 Willie Malala St Joseph's Nudgee College
15 Murray Taulagi Brisbane State High School
16 Eugene Koorts Ipswich Grammar School
17 Samuel Dobb The Southport School
18 Blake Schoupp St Joseph's Nudgee College
19 Henry Sharp Anglican Church Grammar School
20 Tipene Mavoa The Southport School
21 Harry Green Toowoomba Grammar School
22 Augustus Rangihuna St Joseph's Nudgee College
23 Matthew Collins St Peter's Lutheran College

Queensland 2
Name School
1 Dechlan Day The Southport School
2 Matthew Faessler Toowoomba Grammar School
3 Joshua Nasser St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace
4 Matthew Munday St Patrick's College
5 Harry Wilson St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace
6 Seamus Tweedy St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace
7 Joshua Sheridan Ipswich Grammar School
8 Timote Tavalea John Paul College
9 Joshua Vuta Somerset College
10 Matthew McCarthy Sunshine Coast Grammar School
11 Callum Hicks Ipswich Grammar School
12 Harry McMahon Sunshine Coast Grammar School
13 Len Ikiatau Brisbane Boys' College
14 Ben Simpson Brisbane Boys' College
15 Semisi Tupou St Joseph's Nudgee College
16 Harrison Raven Sunshine Coast Grammar School
17 Ben Klaassen Downlands College
18 Moses Alo-Emile Brisbane State High School
19 Patrick Tafa Brisbane State High School
20 Allan Wratten Marist College Ashgrove
21 Isaac Tarabay Anglican Church Grammar School
22 Isaac De Flavis Marist College Ashgrove
23 Nathanael Carswell Brisbane Boys College

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
^^^^^^

Adrian Thompson failed badly with the Aus under 20 campaign. Why is he the Aus schoolboys chairman of selectors?? How does he maintain these positions. At least politicians resign after stuff ups

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Isn't he also an assistant 1st XV Coach as well at one of the GPS schools?

Unscuccessful coaches can still make sound selections, although some of his selections for Recent U20's have been a little puzzling.

Not sure how much sway he has for ASRU selections in his role as the Chairman of Selectors but each year there are a few baffling selections in Aust Schoolboys. As Chairman, his role may be to advise and oversee the selection process rather than actively select himself.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Struggling to put a name on the wooden spoon this year. There certainly isn't an obvious 'easy beat' team like there has been in previous years. BSHS - well they're looking strong at this point and will contend for a high finish. IGS - seem to have a strong outfit of representative players. The case for BGS is well known through their strong performance against TSS and NC at GPS trials. Will be interesting to see how it pans out...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
National Championships 4th - 9th July

Green and Gold reporting

The National Championships start next Monday, July 4th at Riverview, and end on Saturday 9th July.

I am putting this post in a few threads in the hope I can cast a bigger net. I hope some Queensland folks are going down during the week and have the facilities to write a few reports.

It will be grand if we can get some reports from a Queensland point of view.

Depending on how many writers volunteer to help, we will try to write brief reports on all the Division I matches. These will be played on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.

The schedule for Div I matches is:

Monday 4th July
10:00am - NSW II v WA
11:30am - Vic v Qld I
1:00pm - ACT v NSW I
2:30pm - Qld II v Combined States

Wednesday 6th July
10:00am - NSW I v CS
11:30am - Qld I v WA
1:00pm - Qld II v ACT
2:30pm - NSW II v Vic

Thursday 7th July
10:00am - Vic v WA
11:30am - CS v ACT
1:00pm - Qld I v NSW II
2:30pm - NSW I v Qld II

Saturday 9th July - Finals Day
9:00am - 7th place playoff
10:15am - 5th place playoff
11:30pm - 3rd place playoff
12:45pm - Championship match

I will probably be able to write two games per day, but I would rather not because I will have to edit the work of a few inexperienced writers as well, which takes a lot of time; so I hope some people can share the load.

So if you are going to the Championships during the week and would like to write please tell me which day, and which game you would like to report on.

Since most writers reading this will be Queensland supporters they may wish to write reports on games that involve Queensland - but in the past others have said that they'd rather not write on the team they are following closely. They preferred to write on other matches so they could concentrate on games they wanted to follow and not have to take notes.

So I hope that some will offer to write on any game and be able to get there early.

I hope some people are able to write on the first two games on Thursday morning because it usually takes me until the early hours to finish my work from the day before, and I may not be able to be at the ground in time that day.

If you are able to attend and to write on a couple of matches during the week please let me know here and I will give you some guidelines.

One of them will be that the reports will be just 350 words long; so it is just half as big an ask as for the normal 700 word reports we do every weekend in Sydney for the CAS and GPS matches.

This is a long shot request; so there is no need to advise that won't be at the Championships, or if you are, you won't be able to contribute.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
After having a while to mull over the selections of the Combined Sates, Qld and Qld 2 sides, a few thoughts can be made.

• State high will have a strong side all around the park. With 2 Qld front rowers, 1 second row, 1 number eight as well as an 12,14 and 15 also selected, their side will be as good as any. They have some talented players such as Neal McNamara (#9) , Antonio Pouhila (#13) and Josh Fenner (#4) who will slip into the side and these guys will add some punch. As with previous years, the only thing that could let these guys down is injuries. Baring this, they could seriously go all the way and I would hate to play them in the first 4 rounds.

• BBC's outside backs will be red hot with the likes of Len Ikiatau, Nat Carswell and Ben Simpson all there in some combination of 12,13,14 or 13,14,15. This stresses the importance of getting Isaac Henry (#10) back into the fold to get them the ball. They do have a few pieces of timber in Trevor Hosea and Cal Hope.

• As always, TGS will be difficult to be up the range and they will have a strong forward back with Matt Wilshere (#4) and Matt Faessler (#2) in there as well as #8 Will Shelton. A smart half in Harry Green will guide them around to make space for Qld league representative Clayton Mack and Corey Oates little brother Kye. Will play some tough footy.

• Nudgee have seemed to fly under the radar this year but if they can position their stars right and lay a platform with their forwards Tom Jeffries (#4) and Blake Schoupp (#1), they will be as dangerous as any. Probably the most notable backline with Augustus Rangihuna (#10), Semisi Tupou (#15 or 13), Willie Malala (#13 or 14) and TJ Meni (#12 or 11). Give them the ball and a fair few points might be on offer.

• Ipswich seem to be the surprise packet with multiple reps including Tani (#1), Sheridan (#7) and Koorts (#2) from their pack but it's their wingers which excite most. Callum Hicks has pace to burn and Ratu Niumataiwalu is my favourite player in the competition because of his combination to have crazy on field ability as well as a crazy name.

• Churchie have brought in a new prop and loose forward for added size (correct me if I am wrong here) and the Sharp twins will add to this with their line out work. With a smart halves pairing of Tarabay and Mason and a dangerous Stanghorn at (#13), they will be extremely well coached. Watch for Henry Lennon's kicking game from either 12 or 15.

• TSS's side has unusually featured less reps then expected but this could be due to a whole heap of reasons. Nevertheless, the will have a strong front row with the likes of Day and Dobb and the power Mavoa possess at either 6 or 8 is scary. With what will be most likely a small backline, they won't lack on speed, footwork or skill and will try run around some poor backline reads this year.

• BGS will struggle to compete on a size front but have been aided by some of their boys returning from injury this year. They have multiple players returning and will have a few season veterans such as McReight. Another side that will be drilled very well in the things they can control: Lineouts, pattern play, exits, scrums. If Hogan's boot can be on song, I would not be surprised to see them knock off more than 1 or 2.

• Terrace have suprised most with their Queensland reps barring Nasser, Lucas and Eadie who were all shoe ins. One thing is for clear in this side with two returning opensides in Kelly and Webster added to Tweedy (#6 Qld 2, returning from injury) is that they will turn a lot of ball over. Wilson and Nasser add some much needed size to their side compared to last year and with not many decent 12's running around, Ralston looks the real deal.

There are my thoughts and let the tipping begin.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Nice write up Getwithme.
BSHS are my title pick if their main boys don't pick up injuries through the trials and the early rounds.
TSS and a toss up between BBC and Terrace rounding out the top 3.
It pains me to say it but I don't see NC finishing above mid table unless they can fix up their scrum and breakdown. One or two to many league boys in the forward pack all wanting to hang out with Malala and co. Not enough head down arse up in the trenches personnel that push and hit rucks.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Nice write up Getwithme.
BSHS are my title pick if their main boys don't pick up injuries through the trials and the early rounds.
It pains me to say it but I don't see NC finishing above mid table unless they can fix up their scrum and breakdown. One or two to many league boys in the forward pack all wanting to hang out with Malala and co. Not enough head down arse up in the trenches personnel that push and hit rucks.

Exactly my thoughts RE Nudgee. How is their fitness looking? Despite his size and lineout ability, Jefferies always seemed to me to be puffing a bit too much. He will be key for their grunt work

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Nice write up Getwithme.

I think if BSHS will have injuries they will not have the depth.Otherwise I agree with what you say.
TSS have the most back with 2 new boys. I have them as my favourites.
The 5 at BBC at 203cm will be the biggest kid in the comp.Is he injured? or was he barred from rep sides after signing with rebels?

Status
Not open for further replies.