• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So we're clear BAG .........you are calling your 14's over TGS and BBC ?

Are you Brave and Game enough to call the points spread ?

For what it's worth ..........BBC didn't consider GT a Grand Final opponent last year and the end score line validated that mindset

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
So we're clear BAG ...you are calling your 14's over TGS and BBC ?

Are you Brave and Game enough to call the points spread ?

For what it's worth ....BBC didn't consider GT a Grand Final opponent last year and the end score line validated that mindset

Firstly I meant the GF was last years BBC V GT 14A's clash (GT going on to draw with NC is a big 'upset').

You are quite correct GT had well and truly run out of puff before the BBC clash in the 13's and were never going to challenge.

Onto 2016 All things being equal, I do think( or is that hope) they beat TGS and BBC and then potentially lose to NC due to the toll of the previous two games. Like you stated depth could be a big factor, at full strength I like our chances a lot.

I will also predict that BBC beat IGS in round 9 coming off a loss to GT in round 8. IF BBC beat GT they lose to IGS.

I'd like to wait to the end of the week on spreads as we have a few injuries i would like to check on first. But in the interest of debate V TGS 10-12 and V BBC 5-7 points.

Betting lines would be

TGS + 6.5
BBC - 3.5

BAG

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hot Diggetty Damn BAG

I'll take the action

I'll have my people call your people

And BTW ....whatever happens in the BBC /GT match has no bearing on what happens against IGS

They are , IMO , quite independent from each other

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Hot Diggetty Damn BAG

I'll take the action

I'll have my people call your people

And BTW ..whatever happens in the BBC /GT match has no bearing on what happens against IGS

They are , IMO , quite independent from each other

Maybe - I think a loss to GT probably lowers the threat to IGS and BBC would take some hurt into round 9 - these things can and do make a difference especially with emotionally and physically tired 14 year olds.

If IGS need to beat BBC they will, if not BBC might just upset them.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Maybe - I think a loss to GT probably lowers the threat to IGS and BBC would take some hurt into round 9 - these things can and do make a difference especially with emotionally and physically tired 14 year olds.

If IGS need to beat BBC they will, if not BBC might just upset them.

I can't work out how GT lost to IGS when I saw IGS play against BSHS, did I hear correct that the GT 13 did not play? He went off against my boys team BSHS and GT suddenly became very weak in the mid-field in both attack and defence.

BSHS are deservedly the premiers in the 14s age group and we outplayed IGS despite the scoreline, but I feel once the opposition gets some size and can tackle our hard running forwards this will turn around very quickly.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
IGS\' Job Timi v IGS.jpg

First XV match reports are on the front page.

Game of the Round: BSHS 13 d BBC 12

IGS 32 d TGS 31

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/qld-gps-r6-the-first-of-five-to-fall/

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I can't work out how GT lost to IGS when I saw IGS play against BSHS, did I hear correct that the GT 13 did not play? He went off against my boys team BSHS and GT suddenly became very weak in the mid-field in both attack and defence.

BSHS are deservedly the premiers in the 14s age group and we outplayed IGS despite the scoreline, but I feel once the opposition gets some size and can tackle our hard running forwards this will turn around very quickly.

I am sure he played but may have come off again - IGS should never had beaten GT that day - but GT didn't put them away and IGS used their size/speed advantage to score in final seconds although i think IGS may have had few away that day (RL).

Agreed BSHS deserve the title - I take it a few of RL boys missed the game in Toowoomba??

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I've also got an extended interview with State High coach Sione Fukofuka that we won't be able to use fully in the story.

What's the mood in the changing rooms like at the moment?

Ecstatic. The boys know how important that win was. Especially after last week, where Ippy really took it to us... To bounce back with that result is huge for us.

Was there a turning point in the match where you could take a breath and knew you had it won?

We never thought we had it won, even when we were up by 8 it was never out of reach for BBC.

We had a few chances at the end to ice the game and we didn’t take them, so we let them back in and they scored as all good teams will.

It all came down to the last three minutes of defence, in which we secured three turnovers, so it was an exciting game for the spectators for sure [laughs] but I could have done without that.

Was there a gameplan heading in specifically for BBC? Was it successful?

It was more about re-establishing what we were good at before we played Ipswich: Being physical, working around the corner and playing options.

BBC are a big team so the challenge for our boy this week was to match them and then lift above.

I thought we did a great job with our physicality, we created chances but we didn’t execute as well as I would have liked in that last half, which is something to work on.

Who were the individuals standouts from your boys this week?

Without trying to sound too cliched, this week was a real team effort. It’s normally reasonably easy for me to come up with one-two-threes, but this week so many different players stood up.

Our forwards worked well together, our backs created really well. It was pretty tight across the board, just a really strong team contribution.

I saw Murray Taulagi was snubbed from the Schoolboys teams... In your mind, was that a mistake?

I think selections to schoolboys are really hard. It’s one of those situations where the teams are picked before the boys play any games.

If they get a chance to re-evaluate teams at any point I think they should definitely have a look at Murray.

He’s playing outstandingly, I’m not sure he played at this level during the trials, but he’s a dominant athlete and he’s doing a great job.

At the end of the season I have no doubt they’ll look back and think, “We probably missed out on a selection there”.

You never know when injuries will happen in the Australian side, and if they pick Murray he won’t let them down.

And Len Ikitau is in the same boat it seems?

Well that's actually one of the big things today for us, was trying to contain what Len Ikitau can create, and it’s no surprise that BBC have done really well off the back of his contributions.

You’re never going to stop him completely, because he’s like Murray in that trying to contain them one on one is extremely difficult. Quentin and Antonio did a great job in slowing him down a bit.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am sure he played but may have come off again - IGS should never had beaten GT that day - but GT didn't put them away and IGS used their size/speed advantage to score in final seconds although i think IGS may have had few away that day (RL).

Agreed BSHS deserve the title - I take it a few of RL boys missed the game in Toowoomba??
Having watched all the Terrace games their loss to IGS came down to a bit of inexperience on how to finish a game. They stuck it to IGS but made a few mistakes at the end and good teams make you pay like the boys from Ipswich did that day.

GT also had a close game last week against BGS so a trip up the mountain may be challenging this weekend. I don't think anyone involved in the Terrace team should be thinking past this game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Legend of the 80's

Bob McCowan (2)
What happened to 'From the Side' and his 'Whole of School' running tally - it looked to be a pretty close contest between NC and GT and with the real possibility one of them takes the 1stXV crown - there could be some serious bragging rights on offer to one of these schools.

So “From the Side” must be busy. So using his rules I have updated the “Whole of School” points table up to last weekend. Remember this is Opens down to U12, with only the 12A’s counting towards the points table. At the end of Round 6 the table is:

1. GT 125

2. Nudgee 110.5

=3. TGS 103

=3. BBC 103

5. IGS 84

6. TSS 78.5

7. Churchie 77.5

8. State High 71.5

9. BGS 20

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)

Yeah some boys missing, but to be honest TGS just played well and deserved it. It was a game that highlighted for me how in trouble BSHS will be in later years because they rely too much on a power game up the middle.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
NC almost back at full strength
Heard yesterday that BBC have 4 out this week and that big number 5 is out for 2 and Ikatu and Simpson gone for the year. bad luck to those boys as there Aussie schools dreams appear over.
Again shows disconnect between Qld calendar and Rep season . Every year we see qld boys selected for Aussie teams pull out with injury- ie Gavin Luka etc
I am backing BBC to beat ACGS because of strength of their 2 nds but no wins after that. Big Big match this weekend for NC - the boys are happy to be underdogs - but i think our backline is far superior . With a kicker like TSS - the message is no penalties in our half! where did they find that boy( only a tiny run up then boom)
Watched tape of BSHS match . Cant believe BSHS 15 is not in rep teams - best fullback in comp and the boys tell me is a great team man as well .

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
NC almost back at full strength
Heard yesterday that BBC have 4 out this week and that big number 5 is out for 2 and Ikatu and Simpson gone for the year. bad luck to those boys as there Aussie schools dreams appear over.
Again shows disconnect between Qld calendar and Rep season . Every year we see qld boys selected for Aussie teams pull out with injury- ie Gavin Luka etc
I am backing BBC to beat ACGS because of strength of their 2 nds but no wins after that. Big Big match this weekend for NC - the boys are happy to be underdogs - but i think our backline is far superior . With a kicker like TSS - the message is no penalties in our half! where did they find that boy( only a tiny run up then boom)

Watched tape of BSHS match . Cant believe BSHS 15 is not in rep teams - best fullback in comp and the boys tell me is a great team man as well .

Agree re BSHS 15 - he had the best chat in the comp calling the shots and geeing up his mates as well as playing a solid game himself.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
So “From the Side” must be busy. So using his rules I have updated the “Whole of School” points table up to last weekend. Remember this is Opens down to U12, with only the 12A’s counting towards the points table. At the end of Round 6 the table is:

1.GT 125

2.Nudgee 110.5

=3. TGS 103

=3. BBC 103

5. IGS 84

6. TSS 78.5

7. Churchie 77.5

8. State High 71.5

9. BGS 20

Wow this might come to down to the last round at Tennyson as well - that day could be massive with the GPS Crown, the St Joseph's Cup and Inaugural 'From the Side' Whole of School Shield all being up for grabs.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Wow this might come to down to the last round at Tennyson as well - that day could be massive with he GPS Crown, the St Joseph's Cup and Inaugural 'From the Side' Whole of School Shield all being up for grabs.

Surprised to see TGS at equal 3rd with BBC. However, their program is quietly, very strong and Woomba teams play with consistent spirit and passion. A few schools and their supporters could learn from the humbleness of the Darling Downers. Not to mention those nut jobs at the ARU!

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Which Gps school currently runs the best rugby program? Basing this not just on first first 15 but across the age divisions?

In terms of culture - NC ofc. More teams, not fancy basic rugby. Most 1st wins, won the right to the blue n the White (butcher strips). What more do u want?

Like others have said about their culture, firsts being water boys etc, that has been done for many a decade at NC. Also another tradition is for old boy 1st xv (usually 1-3 of them) to train/coach either c,d,e or f teams the year after they left the school. It's all about confidence and belief. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Another quick update on the preseason form guide after sixrounds:

I
In

Nothing much changing here – IGS keep on winning as do the three sides below them BBC, GT and NC. NC’s win over ACGS was very impressive one wonders if the constant battles against much larger teams are starting to tell on the Churchie lads much like last season’s GT team. Their game against BBC should be interesting. Great season by NC so far now just to finish off against BSHS and then GT.

GT V BBC and NC and BBC V IGS will decide the top three. I’ll tip GT to win both and BBC to lose to IGS leaving it IGS, GT, NC and BBC in that order, but all three could go either way.

Thanks
Really enjoy these fair,accurate articles.
Keep them coming.Not all about 1st xv-as you say.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)

1.GT 125

2.Nudgee 110.5

=3. TGS 103

=3. BBC 103

5. IGS 84

6. TSS 78.5

7. Churchie 77.5

8. State High 71.5

9. BGS 20

Surprised by this as BBC certainly won the majority of matches against TGS.
Must have done worse than them against NC.
astounding where TSS is because their 16s and opens are all nearly undefeated.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Surprised by this as BBC certainly won the majority of matches against TGS.
Must have done worse than them against NC.
astounding where TSS is because their 16s and opens are all nearly undefeated.

TGS has yet to have its bye which inflates their numbers - BBC will finish a clear third and maybe even catch GT for second, NC should win overall in end.

Status
Not open for further replies.