• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
As the cool fresh morning breeze has already made us scatter for our winter attire, so has the keen interest for gps 1st XV squads to be revealed. It definitely signals the arrival of yet another much anticipated gps schools rugby comp. . .BUT first things first .
GPS trials are upon us as well.
May 20th is the first of 2 gps trials. Most of the boys who played 1st XV rugby in 2016 should feature in these trials.
My list (in no particular order)of certainties to make QLD 1 or 2 :
GT
Harry Wilson

TGS

IGS

Eugene Koorts
Cooper Whiteside

BGS

Emile Tuimavave

NC
Ethan Bullemor
Joe Small
Xavier

ACGS
Tom Hughes
Fin Hume

BBC

Trevor Hosea

TSS
Thomas Van Der Schyff
Dan Burns
Noah Lolesio
Koen Dovey
Max Dowd

BSHS
Moses Alo-Emile
Jared Chambers
Jordan Petaia
Im sure you have your favourites, so have a crack.its good panter :)

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not sure that just because they played a game or two in 1sts last year will guarantee a spot in the GPS squads. You have left out BSHS flyhalf and suggested ACGS Hume. Crone steered BSHS to a premiership whereas Hume struggled in only a few appearances with the pace and size. I think the halfback and flyhalf positions are going to be very tough to decide. Flyhalf from TSS was outstanding in some games with a massive boot.
Stanghorn from ACGS will get a centre spot based on being in the Baa Baas last season.
There will be some players who do not even get a chance to play due to injury or selection decisions.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure that just because they played a game or two in 1sts last year will guarantee a spot in the GPS squads. You have left out BSHS flyhalf and suggested ACGS Hume. Crone steered BSHS to a premiership whereas Hume struggled in only a few appearances with the pace and size. I think the halfback and flyhalf positions are going to be very tough to decide. Flyhalf from TSS was outstanding in some games with a massive boot.
Stanghorn from ACGS will get a centre spot based on being in the Baa Baas last season.
There will be some players who do not even get a chance to play due to injury or selection decisions.

Good points wally!.
  1. yes Crone (BSH)is a very smart player. he doesnt have a big boot
  2. Campbell Parata (TSS)is a good all rounder and I forgot him.definitely in for my gps 1 or 2 team.
  3. STanghorn also is a certainty for Qld 1 or 2.
  4. The unknown is . . .injuries and positional change can make or break some players.

MrFootyLegend123

Stan Wickham (3)
I believe the NZ side that played TGS/TSS/Dowlands and Churchie (Fielding Boys High) was not who BGS played. I think BGS played Cambridge High, however I am not certain of that.

You are right. I wasn't sure whether Downlands played the same team as the one that played BGS. Nevertheless, bgs still won easily.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Nudgee play Downlands tomorrow in their first hit out of the pre season.
Quite a few of their main boys sitting this one out with injuries?
Sula-Siaosi, Shepherd, Bullemore, Wood, Hunt.....

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Seems like a load of bollocks . Outside of the previously mentioned 2 x State High transfers it looks like the same team as last year pretty much

Interesting though that a couple of the backs want to play at 7 and 8 ( one of them being the best back IMO and maybe amongst the top names in a back 3 for the age group ) which may leave them a little thin outside , although , one of the State High lads seems keen to play in the Centres so all may be work itself out just fine

The three question marks for Terrace 15's this year are :

1. Can they win enough ball with a league centric / ball running back row ( if the guys get their wish as to where they want to play ) - not that there is anything wrong with having hard running loose forwards - but is defensive work rate and breakdown work rate high enough to have a fuller impact?

2. Have they got finishers out wide that are best in show

3. Have they got a kicking game to chew territory and get out of trouble

And right now IGS and BSHS still figure to be better in these critical categories

Mr GO

You seem very quiet about that under 15 boy "chicken 'that good judges at NC were saying was top shelf--only for him to end up at BBC.
And now I hear he bought a rep mate with him.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Has anyone seen the 2017 version of trivial pursuit?
There is a new question in sport?
Q-which revered rugby school that has spent 2 decades ridiculing other schools with a pios pout, about importing players(particularly PI boys) -has just set a new GPS record for new rugby boys arriving at the school in one year..

A-the one without boarding facilities,a 13 year drought in premierships, and a bus to/ from Sunnybank RC 3x a day.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Mr GO

You seem very quiet about that under 15 boy "chicken 'that good judges at NC were saying was top shelf--only for him to end up at BBC.
And now I hear he bought a rep mate with him.

I heard you heard that

But the Cat has my tongue about Chicken and therefore I shall remain quite as a Mouse

So enough foxing ok ? The Horse has bolted

Ye I , Ye I , Yo

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Reading through this thread has given me the biggest laugh in ages, especially those sprouting about their kids, wink, wink... We know who you are..
Keep them posts coming guys. It's extremely entertaining.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Sula-Siaosi, Shepherd, Bullemore, Wood, Hunt...

That is a lot of injuries at this early stage of the season. They must be tearing each other apart at training.

Good luck to the boys heading up the Range tomorrow. Always a tough match up there especially when Downlands are gunning for you when you see it as just a trial.

John Locke

Bob McCowan (2)
Sula-Siaosi, Shepherd, Bullemore, Wood, Hunt...

Wood, Hunt and Bullemore are sitting out this week to avoid unnecessary injuries before GPS trials next week. Phransis is still niggling a bit of a shoulder injury and is in a similar position to the others. Shepherd just getting into contact, but should be ready for the start of the season.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
TGS played IGS today in two trial games a TGS probables 1st team and a 2nd team made up with the rest of the TGS 1st squad plus a few others bought in.
From what I can gather the results weren't to flattering for TGS, maybe someone out there may know a bit more with what actually happened and can fill us in.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
I hope the white troop carrier with one tail light full of boys got home from Downlands safely,in the rain ,weaving ,speeding

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
I heard their was only a point in it, in NC's favor. Something like 23 to22

I heard the same thing, and Downlands were without two of their stars as well. TGS might be a little anxious about their long standing hold on the O'Callaghan Cup.TGS apparently didn't have a great day at Ipswich as well on Saturday past. Nothing lasts forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.