• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Even I have to admit that this is a big,strong,mobile forward pack. A few good blue/white boys in GPS 2 will keep them honest..

Egan Siggs TSS

Eugene Koorts IGS

Moses Alo-Emile BSHS

Harry Wilson GT

Trevor Hosea BBC

Tom Kibble BBC

Joseph Small NC

Cullen Ngamanu BBC

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Fair enough - BBC's injuries to really key players over the last several years just seem to bad to be true - which always make one look for a reason, even though there most likely isn't one.

Correct- was it 8 players out of last 3 matches including 2 Qld & 1 Aussie rep>? You cannot cover that-and it happens year after year.

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone know whether the games are being broadcast on youtube or anywhere? Also, why has there been some movement of players from one squad to another?

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
GPS 3 and AIC was a draw I think. poor game .
GPS 1 beat GPS 2 by 31-7
Big gap bewtween GPS 1 and all others
Selectors got it right.
Hosea ans Tabua had blinders.
I thought hooker for GPS 2 was better than the 2 in GPS 1 - other than that -hard to see anyone else getting a look in for Qld 1.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I think a 19-all tie between GPS 3 and AIC was a fair result.

GPS 3 played better in the first half but AIC was stronger towards the end.

My biggest takeaway from the match was that there were three terrifically skilled big men in the front row. Tuquiri is well known for his soft hands, but Gersham Tui (IGS) and Romeo Tanielu (SEC) were both roughly the same size and with similarly high skills. A wonderful trend in rugby.

Asides from that, Tyrone Metusela-Suapaia played the best match I'd seen him play.

I thought Shaun Anderson (ASH) looked dangerous in space and might fit nicely onto a QLD wing.

I also liked the AIC back row combination of Roly Brosnan (ASH), Lachlan Connors (SPC) and Harrison Fox (PAD) off the bench.

In the main event,

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow is crazy talented. Kalyn Ponga levels of dominance. Four tries, with one try assist that he could well have turned into his fifth try. He might have had six if not for an error inside him.

On his first touch, Tabuai stepped two blokes deep in his own 22m and raced away for a length of the field try.

He got stripped on his second touch and nearly gave away a try, but recovered by forcing a knock-on the following phase in a Gregan-esque try-saving tackle.

His third touch, he received an offload and raced away for a 60m try.

He would go on to score two more! For all 65 kilos of him that is incredible.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
My team of the day:
  1. Egan Siggs (TSS)
  2. Rhys van Nek (BBC)
  3. Moses Alo’Emile (BSHS)
  4. Harry Wilson (GT)
  5. Trevor Hosea (BBC)
  6. Lachlan Connors (SPC)
  7. Joe Small (NC)
  8. Joseph Faulalo (IGS)
  9. Josh Vuta (Somerset)
  10. Cooper Whiteside (IGS)
  11. Shaun Anderson (ASH)
  12. Tyrone Metusela-Supaia (GT)
  13. Clyde Rapilla (IGS)
  14. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (BGS)
  15. Max Dowd (TSS)
  16. Eugene Koorts (IGS)
  17. Romeo Tanielu (SEC)
  18. Emosi Tuquiri (ASH)
  19. Harrison Fox (PAD)
  20. Hayden Moseley (NC)
  21. Phoenix Hunt (NC)
  22. Campbell Parata (TSS)
  23. Noah Lolesio (TSS)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
No real arguments with that Team of the Day on Day 1 , King

I didn't get to see Somerset's Josh Vuta but will keep an eye out for him

I was impressed with Cooper Whiteside and also GPS 2's 14 ( Jangala Bennett ) and 23 ( Dennis Waight )

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
You are on the money re : Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, King

I saw him nearly 18 months ago through the U15 JGC and he was as stunning back then against that competition as he is now.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that if BGS can address their ability to some muscle upfront in the next 12 months that can bend and fracture the defensive lines - and consistently secure some front foot ball , then , with your new 10, Gilbert and Hamiso in your back line .....then BGS will be in the contending conversation

He's that good in broken lines ( if BGS can achieve this ) that's he's a genuine game winner

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
GPS 3 v Chairman's

- Tyrone Metusela-Suapaia (GT) is playing very well again. He is mounting a strong case for Queensland! Incisive attack and smothering defence.

- JJ Oyelodi (GT) is also showing some flashes. If he can do that more consistently this year he's in for a fine season.

- Isaac Crone's (BSHS) limited kicking game might rule him out of Queensland contention, but he's certainly got a few tricks up his sleeve in attack. That stutter-step of his always seems to put him in position to slip tackles.

- Nesta Mahina (BSHS) will be difficult to dislodge from the breakdown.

- Haven't spotted Reno Gerrard at all and the GPS 3 bench has been warming up without a No.20. Apparently Cam Howard has been called in.

- Fred Fewtrell (ACGS) is a really nice size but isn't having much of an impact to my eyes.

12-0 to GPS 3 at halftime. Metusela-Suapaia and Crone tries, one Crone conversion.

- Lock Will Chaffey (TGS) scores a nice runaway try to open the second half.

- Beautiful ball from Isaac Crone hits Metusela-Suapaia running into a hole. Draws and passes for Oyelodi to score. Crone converts.

- Ethan Robbins accelerates through a gap but can't link with Oyelodi on his outside. Try goes begging as Oyelodi knocks on.

- Metusela-Suapaia one-man-army's it: receives a bounce pass, spins out of contact and jogs in for his second try. Crone converts his third from five attempts

- Cam Howard scores on the left wing. Didn't get a good look. Crone can't convert. GPS 3 lead Chairman's 38-0

- Chairman's pinch one back with an old school tap move.

- Ethan Robbins with a nice clearance, followed up with two consecutive tackles to force his opposite into touch. Net gain 30m

- Cam Howard has his second. He's been very good in this second half. A few ball-in-all tackles and two tries

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I didn't end up watching the last two games particularly closely.

I was sitting with a player agent and one NRL club's Director of Recruitment and it was a more than little scary as a rugby fan.

The DoR mentioned that if the NRL U20s weren't officially gone next year he would have walked down on the field after the game and offered a backrower from Ipswich $2000 to come to training next week.

The purchasing power of these clubs is unbelievable.

He told me his club have 75 kids under 20 on their book, and that other clubs have more.

There is just no way rugby could compete with that. If League wants someone, they get them.

But the good news; with the NYC scrapped in 2018, he says their model of recruitment will cut down from 75 youngsters to about 20. As the NRL tightens their belts, there's a good chance the players like Augustus Rangihuna (without much of a league background) will have the opportunity to continue on in rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
CSS were bloody fantastic in their win over GPS 2

7 and 3 were eye catching , however , the whole team should take a bow for their commitment and intent - AIC take note

In terms of the GPS 1 v AIC game - Lachlan Connors was a lone hand and the rest just didn't consistently show up . A nod to Shaun Andersen who did some good things with limited opportunity ( great finish on first AIC try - he still had some work to do ) - defensively the lack of inside defensive pressure let he and his outside backs down

AIC scrum in particular was towelled up in the opening exchanges

GPS 1's 8 and 6's work rate in the tight stuff was outstanding , as was , the line bending , ball playing ability of 4 and 5 .

9 was slick and 13 , 14 saw a lot of early action as AIC got pumped hard on their right flank

15 and 11 showed AIC's back 3 ( heavily celebrated in the AIC set ) the true meaning and impact in the step up in class

Based on last night's showing you could only really go with 8 and 13 from AIC ....the CSS boys were far more impressive

The AIC boys have plenty to play for tonight when the face off against the smash mouth style of the CSS boys

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I wasn't there for the first game but great to hear Cam Howard getting amongst it and doing well last night .

There will be plenty for him to prove against GPS 1 tonight .

Go well fella

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
. . . SO far...there is a huge ocean between Gps 1 and the rest...
In my h.o . . it is a sad state of qld schoolboys that we can only produce one classy outfit.
Last yr gps1&2 were quite competitive with each other. . . .
BUT it could mean we have quite an outstanding gps 1 (aka-Qld 1 m.o. ). and rest will make Qld 2 and definitely some in CS.
If the bench mark was 4. Harry Wilson & 13. Jordan Petaia(Aust schoolboys from last yr), then that gps 1 team is a classy outfit all across the park. Again H T-F (winger)is an extremely gifted athlete with the key substances of world class players. .CoolCalmCollective and never looks flustered. . .
Its a pity gps 1 not playing CSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.