• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Standouts from BSHS vs TSS
TSS-
1# Egan Siggs
3# Zane Nonggorr

BSHS-
15# Jordan Petaia

BBC - game plan not per expectation they backed speed, skill and fitness rover size and it worked very effectively.
4,6,7,8 worked hard against a huge pack
9,10,11,15 all showed great skill
7,10&11 in grade 11
15 in grade 10

IGS
2 put it all in the line
10 stood out because he takes 2-3 minutes to prepare for a shot at goal each time to give his big colleagues a rest

If they can hold on to the ball and work it tight to draw opposition in then use their size in backs they will be a handful for the best sides especially with a bit more match fitness and experience.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
A few observations from the weekend:
1) TSS / NC might not be as good as we thought;
2) GT/ BBC might be better than most predicted;
3) TGS will be difficult up on the range;
4) The King was correct ( again) BGS might have a brilliant backline - but without the grunt up front - it will be difficult.
5) come round 5 and injuries depth will be a factor.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from TSS v BSHS yesterday

Facebook or Flickr

35105256004_48d29cc6db_z_d.jpg

35125419373_d0f2b89c7d_z_d.jpg

35813203661_85406434ed_z_d.jpg

Just Watching

Bob McCowan (2)
I think Shepherd might do a better job than bennett! Isn't bennett a winger?

Nah, mate.

Watch the GT vs NC final from last year. Shepard was the FB for NC and got turned around by the GT winger twice! From what I've seen, including yesterday, from Bennett, FB is his position and not winger. He has to much skills to be on the wing.

Just Watching

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep, the pack is definitely lacking the workers, outside of Cannon and to some extent Mosley. Lots of ball players, still expect Nudgee to win by a mile but it could get interesting if Terrace flood the rucks as they'll all be in pods hanging out with the backs.

The NC pack did enough to win, even when they were 2 men down. Maybe GT need to ask the question..."how did we lose that?"

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Heres an article from last weeks Nationals in Sydney for a reflective sunday read:

Australian Schoolboys Rugby Championships draws International Interest.

The cream of Australian schoolboys rugby union players were on display this past week in Sydney.The National championships brings together the very best of the current crop from around the country to compete against each other.It is the arena to showcase their wares for a special chance at representing their country. This is the pinnacle of schoolboys rugby. It is also, traditionally where the first “rugby auction” for agents, scouts and who's who of professional rugby come to potentially bid for the next ‘best thing’ that will help bring $uccess to their respective franchises.
Two of the more enigmatic International coaches surprisingly made grandeur appearances this week at the tournament.
Eddie Jones the Oz England coach who has transformed the men in white, was not at all shy taking centre stage on the sidelines keeping a keen eye on the first day of competition. Not to be outdone, Michael Chieka the Wallaby coach, also made sure his appearance the following day of competition was ‘noticed’. A political statement or genuine rugby interest? Food for thought .
The National schoolboys rugby is always an exciting spectacle and sometimes it is about the rugby played.
The passion showcased by the State and Territory teams are no match for the boisterous and biased fans (usually the parents, families and friends of the players), who are also armed and self taught experts on all things rugby. As to be expected, their one eyed opinion heavily favours ‘their’ team and of course their son.
The rugby spectacle is just the tip of the iceberg. You maybe forgiven for assuming the rugby on the field was the main show. The fact of the matter is, if you tapped into your sixth sense and look below the surface, you would be very surprised to see that there were extra terrestrials mingling amongst the crowd for most of the week.
This is my second year at the Nationals. The amount of ‘activities’ going on at the St Ignatius school grounds was unfortunately never about the spectacular River-view towards the city skyscrapers, but the negotiations between stakeholders.Judging from the crowd, everyone had an agenda
There is the caffeine line at the coffee van, the bright fluorescent dressed army of selectors and tournament administrators armed with folders and clipboards keeping an eye on proceedings.
There were men with the friendliest smiles tapping parents ( who live the dream and the once in a lifetime hope that their son may be the next Israel Folau or a David Pocock) on the shoulder to do their sales pitch. The promise of a super rugby franchise contract is always the dangling carrot that wins over their vulnerable and ill informed trust and so they sign their sons away to an unknown god.
Unfortunately, just as the euphoria and ecstasy created by the mysterious bidder at an auction is all but done and dusted at the fall of the auctioneers hammer, so it is with the return to reality for most of the hopefuls who must accept the verdict.It's one of the sad stories that is heard often at this annual event. The other (always intriguing and filled with passion and highly charged emotions), is the selection of the Australian Schoolboys and Australian Barbarians teams.
Just tap into one of the many social media outlets minutes after the teams are announced. The critics would rival any of the human rights violation cases with their vented anger and absolute disgust at the incompetency of the selectors “paid” to pick MJ and EJ (Eddie Jones) blah blah blah because of. . . and so their conspiracy theory fills the airwaves and eventually dissipates to just hot air that is blown out to sea...within days.
Let's hope that the unthinkable ( that our sons for the return home to the motherland possibility) will NEVER occur. In keeping up with the Jones man, let's hope Cheika keeps him in ‘check -a mate’ for life.

MongoRahRahFilth

Bob McCowan (2)
Nah, mate.

Watch the GT vs NC final from last year. Shepard was the FB for NC and got turned around by the GT winger twice! From what I've seen, including yesterday, from Bennett, FB is his position and not winger. He has to much skills to be on the wing.

Bennett is a future star ! following yesterday's performance from him and NC it wouldn't really matter where you played Bennett because he has that star quality where he can obviously just take control of a game even in the dying seconds and pull something special off. It's great to see the mighty Blue & white are unearthing such talented your gentleman it was only first round but Jangalla Bennett is definitely someone to keep an eye out for. However I do agree he probably would be more suited at fullback more room more time more hands on ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
  • Great shots from TSS vs BSHS HJ Nelson !!
  • I would add Alex Shmidt BSHS #6 to your list LB.
  • I think BSHs vs TSS was a game of 2 halves. I think overall TSS had a bit more depth along with the home advantage, but "credit to BSHS they sure gave us a fright"(TSS coach). TSS will be top 3. BSHS will definitely improve and will take some significant scalps along their rebuilding phase(new coaching staff).

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
BBC - game plan not per expectation they backed speed, skill and fitness rover size and it worked very effectively.
4,6,7,8 worked hard against a huge pack
9,10,11,15 all showed great skill
7,10&11 in grade 11
15 in grade 10

12 is grade 11 as well.
isnt the IGS 10 the Qld 2 number 10?
the BBC 10 played all over him.
The left wingerfor BBC was all class- they tell me he is grade 11 as well. Makings of a top backline in 2018.
IGS running the huge number 11 as a flyhalf off set piece was frightening sight- but the Toowong boys tackled very well and even pushed the massive IGS pack around in the scrums. Could be interesting if they can keep that team on the paddock - but their history with injuries is very poor.

Hilltop View

Peter Burge (5)
Nah, mate.

Willie M was the FB for NC v GT last year and Shepherd played wing. I watch stream of game yesterday and they called the NC winger as Shepherd but that was not the same kid as last year. He may have been injured, anyone know?

Hilltop View

Peter Burge (5)
Bennett is a future star ! following yesterday's performance from him and NC it wouldn't really matter where you played Bennett because he has that star quality where he can obviously just take control of a game even in the dying seconds and pull something special off. It's great to see the mighty Blue & white are unearthing such talented your gentleman it was only first round but Jangalla Bennett is definitely someone to keep an eye out for. However I do agree he probably would be more suited at fullback more room more time more hands on ball.

He has great feet that is for sure. I don't mind him at wing as the broken line gave him the one on one chances yesterday which is when he is deadly. The GT kick chase was good with defensive line yesterday which would have made it harder for him.

MongoRahRahFilth

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah well I don't think young Bennett will be on the wing much longer given that the fullback for NC yesterday was mediocre and seemed lost for most parts. it looks like the Lightfooted Bennett just gave us a taste of what he can do and looks like he has far more to his game to offer then what we seen yesterday but it is Schoolboys rugby so we will see how that whole scenario plays out. Good win to NC thanks to Bennett and also the 10 for slotting the conversion.

Where did this Bennett kid come from ? Does anyone know ? Please give us some history on him.

John Locke

Bob McCowan (2)
Willie M was the FB for NC v GT last year and Shepherd played wing. I watch stream of game yesterday and they called the NC winger as Shepherd but that was not the same kid as last year. He may have been injured, anyone know?

Yeah, Sheppard was injured. He had a very small tear in his hammy from Thursday afternoons training session. Ethan Robbins played on the wing instead. Atkinson played well at fullback; wasn't afraid to run the ball. Other Nudgee stand outs were Joe Small at inside, Tom Forde at Prop and Hayden Moseley at 7. Of course, Jangala Bennett, who was widely spoken about, was also brilliant. Reesjan, the flyhalf, was the game winner, but almost cost the team a victory after gifting GT possession and reducing the team to 14 at a pivotal point in the game.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
TGS 24 BGS 12 a very interesting result seeing how TGS was doing everything for the first 1/2 of the game to loose it and BGS seemed to be the dominate team. TGS were their own worst enemies and were continually plagued with handling errors which put a lot of pressure on them selves. In the end the superior fitness of TGS along with a lot of heart pulled them through with a try against the run of play and another which looked like a set move off the line out. if BGS hadn't run out of puff I think the result would have been a lot tighter.
In an interesting side note TGS 16a's run out winners 47 to 7 could be a team worth watching and with 5 grade 11's that started in the firsts this weekend things could be interesting for TGS next year. Anyway its only the first game of the season so we will not try to get to ahead of ourselves.

bigdadda

Frank Row (1)
Yeah well I don't think young Bennett will be on the wing much longer given that the fullback for NC yesterday was mediocre and seemed lost for most parts. it looks like the Lightfooted Bennett just gave us a taste of what he can do and looks like he has far more to his game to offer then what we seen yesterday but it is Schoolboys rugby so we will see how that whole scenario plays out. Good win to NC thanks to Bennett and also the 10 for slotting the conversion.

Where did this Bennett kid come from ? Does anyone know ? Please give us some history on him.

He came from St Peters Lutheran College an AIC school I believe he quit rugby their when he got the shits for not making the firsts I think it was due to an attitude problem and a falling out with the head coach but I may be wrong. He also played 16A's for Nudgee last year aswell though and had a good season.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Fantastic day at Boondall yesterday, beautiful weather combined with very spirited rugby all day made for great rugby. Interestingly Nudgee won all A games, U15's had their first win against Terrace in this age group. Crowd for the 1st's must of topped 5k, biggest crowd since Grammar beat Nudgee in 2012. Streets around Boondall were absolutely clogged. The finish certainly ended Old Boys day on the right note, Terrace will be gutted. Gut feel says both sides are on the young side and will struggle against TSS, I think after Soli went off both had 6 x U16 players and may well feel the effects towards the end of the season. Terrific to see the competition so close, I predict a bolter will win the comp, green and black may give a hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.