1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Discussion in 'Schoolboy Rugby' started by terry from Townsville, Nov 16, 2018.

1. BraveandGame Johnnie Wallace (23)

Hard to tell despite having 7 or 8 back it is pretty hard to get a feel for the kind of team they will be next year.
  2. Galloper Alfred Walker (16)

Just out of interest GO, and others might also know the answer, does your reference to "I’m hearing 2nd Row depth will be be added" suggest that BBC's sporting scholarship program has not been ended by the new(ish) Headmaster after all?

My impression from reading posts by some BBC affiliates on this forum towards the start of the year was that the Headmaster who arrived last year had decided that the school should be concentrating more on the academic side of things?

I'm not sure why a school can't support or subsidise both the academic and sporting programs without compromising one or the other, provided that everything is kept in perspective - BGS certainly used to manage to do that back in the 70's/80's.
  3. fairplay Darby Loudon (17)

Wrong thread I know. But aren’t schools with a lot of sports scholarships actually being subsidized by old boy boosters so that the school covers it’s expenses anyway?
  4. Jets Tony Shaw (54)

Tipping for the weekend had no one with 4/4 and two, Rugby Fanatico and An_Observer, managed 3/4.

All Over It 26
    An_Observer 24
    Lammy 24
    Petep 24
    Rugby Follower 24
    BAG 23
    Jets 23
    Nomad 23
    rugrat 23
    HJ Nelson 22
    KFC 22
    MW 21
    Outsider 21
    Patriot 21
    Reg 21
    Roberts Rugby 21
    Cookie 20
    fairplay 20
    Dean Moriarty 19
    Hound 19
    AGJ 18
    Skyfall 18
    Seagull 17
    BBCfanatic 16
    EGROEG 15
    Sage Too 15
    Tom Griffin 15
    Melomvp 13
    Marcosity 11
    Dark Shark 10
    The Ear 9
    Cagey Ref 8
    Cruiser 8
    David Y 7
    Jonte Roberts 7
    Rugby Fanatico 7
    Charlie 6
    Chubs 6
    Spikhaza 6
    Fraser 5
    Westies94 5
    CSM 4
    Dequavis B 4
    EatDeez1s 4
    harry vela's left foot 4
    KING JAMES 4
    Mr Rugby 4
    PAPA 4
    Pear boy 4
    Tkiri 4
    Tom 4
    Will Jackson 4
    will oh 4
    Dan 3
    Frae 3
    hugo emery 3
    John Munro 3
    Oi nah 3
    Shirley Streszlejki 3
    Tony G 3
    Big boppa brucey boy 2
    blanco 2
    DAVE 2
    JJ 2
    Rugbyfan 2
    Sgt Slaighter 2
    your big ;) uncle 2
    zac 2
    BBC 14A's awesome scrums 1
    BBC supporter 123 1
    jt 1
    Nudgee 1
    runningrugby1 1
    Zane Nonggorr fan 1
    JOC 0
    Steve Lezinski 0
    Hound likes this.
  5. Galloper Alfred Walker (16)

I'm not sure that "expense" has much to do with it, in the sense that if a school has places available, i.e. the house is not full, then they're not foregoing fee income they would otherwise have earned by giving one of those places to a sportsman.

Obviously there's a bit of a difference with boarding scholarships, but even so if there's a spare bed in the boarding house it's not going to cost a school much extra to feed the new boy, wash his clothes etc.

If there's a school at moment with a full boarding house I'd be surprised, particularly with most farmers doing it pretty tough.

I don't know if there is any Old Boy funding of sports scholarships going on at any of the GPS schools at the moment, but if it is I'd say it's far more likely to be happening where the school in question has to give up a spot which a fee-paying student would have taken up, which would narrow it down considerably.
    The Nomad likes this.
  6. Garry Owens John Solomon (38)

Yeah it is back on like Donkey Kong
  7. Aussie Luke Allen Oxlade (6)

It's hard to know where to now for BBC rugby. They threw away a great opportunity for a 2nd Premiership by not taking a kicker to the TSS game, and I note in the Couriermail, apart from the 1st XV, they lost every game to Nudgee down to the under 11s on the weekend. The under 16A's game was 50 - nil, so not much light at the end of the tunnel there.
  8. Lemno01 Frank Nicholson (4)

Hi Aussie Luke

I agree it was a typically dominant display from Nudgee, but there were a couple of wins. 15A and 14B got up for BBC and 14A lost by one point and i think there was one try in a close 15B game. There may be some others I'm not aware of.

Cheers
  9. Aussie Luke Allen Oxlade (6)

Ok well that sounds a not more solid then, particularly in the 15s/14s
  10. Ken Oats Frank Row (1)

Apart from Lucas Ripley, who has since kicked 9 in a row..
  11. Oracle83 Ted Thorn (20)

I think you will find they will follow the TSS model and wait until grade10 before to award scholarships to students when they can better judge their academic and rugby skill levels as well as physical development as this allows them to plug the right holes - hopefully kicking as well.

I was advised 16s had a few injuries but when you look at the cattle returning hopefully including Howarth, a few new scholars and 16s and 15s they’ll put a decent 1sts together again.

I watched the game yesterday, credit to the culture of this team they seem a great group of kids - Howarth hugging the minion water boys after scoring tries - he seems a great kid indeed.
  12. Roberts Rugby Billy Sheehan (19)

Time for you blokes to get your own BBC thread.
    Oracle83 likes this.
  13. Garry Owens John Solomon (38)

Well its always been very BBC Centric despite those that pretend they are from elsewhere
    Hound and Roberts Rugby like this.
  14. Garry Owens John Solomon (38)

And they did take a kicker to the TSS Game ...Aussie Luke . They took 3 of them ( not including Lukas Ripley )

Ripley , believe it or not , didn't get the passed the kicking tee until half way along into proceedings v TGS
    Hound likes this.
  15. Roberts Rugby Billy Sheehan (19)

Noticed that. You certainly keep this thread moving. You should kick off with the team of the season. Over to you.
  16. TheRed Bob McCowan (2)

Ripely also kicked the last conversion from the sideline against IGS.the week before TSS. Drahm obviously couldn’t work it out that he was the best kicker even though it was staring him in the face! He has since kicked 10 from 10!
  17. Garry Owens John Solomon (38)

You've gone OK yourself Bob

But since you asked here goes

1. Harry Vella ( NC )
    2. George Blake ( TSS )
    3. Zane Nongorr ( TSS )
    4. Jock Thompson ( NC )
    5. Wilson Blyth ( TSS )
    6. George Gibson ( BBC )
    7. Mitch Lowrie ( NC )
    8. Titi Nofoagotoa ( NC )
    9. Kalani Thomas ( IGS )
    10. Connor Claridge ( BBC )
    11. Hamish Roberts ( TSS )
    12. Lastus Aukaki ( NC )
    13. Jojo Fifita ( TSS )
    14. Jack Howarth (BBC)
    15. Dion Samuela ( TSS )

16. Jake Tierney ( BBC )
    17. Andrew Romano ( BBC )
    18. Saipele Tamilo ( IGS )
    19. Michael Van Der Schyff ( TSS )
    20. Luc Lyndon ( TSS )
    21. Henry Wilson ( ACGS )
    22. Sam Walker ( IGS )
    23. Lukas Ripley ( BBC )

24. Ben Murphy ( IGS )
    25. Seamus King Smith ( IGS )

8 x TSS
    6 x BBC
    5 x NC
    5 x NC
    1 x ACGS
    Roberts Rugby likes this.
  18. Roberts Rugby Billy Sheehan (19)

The only 2 changes for me are 21. Finn Hearn and 22. Reesjan Pasitoa. Pasitoa had an average year but still in the top five for points. I would probably switch 13 and 14. Solid team.

EDIT: Jock Thompson is my player of the year. Not Nudgee bias, you would have to agree?
  19. Garry Owens John Solomon (38)

No , not really ..I wouldn’t have to agree at all
  20. Aussie Luke Allen Oxlade (6)

I think Howarth from BBC was my pick for player of the year. If they won the premiership, his name would have been the one everyone would have been attributing it to. Hamish Roberts from TSS must be up there also, but he did miss a kick close to in front of the posts on Sat which would have won them them a true undefeated Premiership, so this one blemish when it counted might weigh it n Howarth's favour for me.