• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
I wasn't at the game but I'd like to address a few things you've said.
If it's a red card offence and there are 2 in the tackle carding 1 player would be the minimum action.
Malice has no bearing on the issuing of a red card for a tip tackle.
Ruining the game also has no bearing on the referees division to issue a card.
The referees on this forum will tell you the minimum sanction for a tip tackle. I'm pretty certain it's a red card. So once he decided it was a dangerous tackle he had very little choice.

Sent using Tapatalk

So what we should have had was a good old game of 13 Vs 14?? If minimum is red card then both should have been shown red because of the same involvement in the tackle and then the uni player penalised later in the game for a lifting tackle should have been shown red as well? it can’t be that black and white. There needs to be a better system brought in, something like league where a ref can report an incident if he’s not 100% sure, and have it looked at by the judiciary that meets every Monday anyway. Then if deemed necessary the ban can be imposed from there. it would stop these games being ruined by overzealous referees showing red cards, and still have the desired effect of deterring players from foul play. not sure if that’s the best way to do it but there needs to be something done, there was a good turn out to see another cracking contest between uni brothers but half the crowd lost interest 10 minutes in to last night and people were leaving before half time because the game was over after 25 seconds.

On another note, Foley is a gun for how old he is but where do you slot him into that backline? 12?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Not that I saw it, but I doubt both players had the same level of involvement in the tackle. Spear tackles are a straight Red, and the Brothers #7 was the main offender in the tackle.

I don't think University, the ref, or Brothers cared about making the game interesting, they couldn't of cared if people were leaving. It was a preliminary final, they wanted to win, I don't think making the match entertaining was part of anyones plans.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Two great games out at Ballymore, lots has already been said about the Uni win over Brothers but i'll throw in what I saw in the game I was more interested in Sunnybank def GPS.

Without trying to put Sunnybank down, they played well and deserved the win, especially being able to hold out the late GPS surges in the last 15min but they didn't really look all that convincing. I honestly thought that when they were leading 30-13 they would have put GPS to bed and blown the game out, however, it was quite the opposite. Credit to GPS because they didn't give up all game but Sunnybank looked rather ordinary defending their own goal line. GPS didn't really have a whole lot of ball in the Sunnybank 22 but once they got there some quick trys followed but they probably left their run about 5-10mins too late and the clock beat them. Sunnybank forwards did a great job holding the ball and staying tight during the last 3mins to rumble up the park and make sure GPS didn't get a sniff or any loose balls to pounce on.

Albert Anae was in my opinion the best forward on the park. Constantly making meters with the ball and running over defenders. JP Smith started very well for GPS as well, I'm still confused as to how no Super Rugby team has bothered to pick him up even on an EPS contract, he is a very solid scrummager and his pace and ball skills are unreal. Richard Kingi also had a good game, Ben Tapuai was pretty average in my opinion, he did a few good things on attack but the two late trys which got GPS back in the game were scored in his area and he missed a vital one on one tackle for one of them. Josh Logan the fullback from GPS had a great game and Scott Malolua made an impact when he got on at halfback, not sure why he didn't start the game. Also would have prefered to see Liam McWhirter start at 10 but Bev Tuiquiri did have a good game, I just think McWhirters slower yet calmer approach would have helped our forwards get a bit more of a roll on than they did as the game was being played very quickly.

All in all it was a really great game of rugby to watch and GPS can hold their heads high and hopefully build for next year whilst Sunnybank have earned their chance to make it to the Grand Final. Not sure who i'll tip yet, I know Sunnybank have the firepower but they will need to execute better in order to get over a Brothers team who will be ropable after the flogging they received.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Con wasn’t chased by any club after leaving school and was not in the usual future star pathways of QLD/Aus schoolboy ect when he arrived at Uni. So his successes can only be attributed to really good performances and a lot of hard work over the last 3 years.

Not sure if you are saying he is improving or not by the comment above but I can guarantee his development since joining the 7’s program has been amazing and he has come a long way since colts.

PS I am not his Dad just someone who gets to watch him every week

Sorry mate, let me be clearer. Con is definitely a Prems level player, however I feel his step up to Premier Grade was seen as so seamless due to the talent around him. This isn't a bad thing but I think Con would not be seen as such a force if he was thrown into a backline with lesser quality assisting him. From school to Colts he improved 110% even last year he seemed to improve, but this year when I have watched him play I think he is good but he hasn't really hit that next Super Rugby level. He still might but I have seen better players not make it and i do think there are better centres in brisbane prem grade than young cornelius

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
arvier tackle.jpg

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So what we should have had was a good old game of 13 Vs 14??

He obviously thought it was a red card. That's why he gave it.
At what stage of the game do you think it's okay to give red cards?
Which matches are too Important for cards?
The players know tip tackles are being rubbed out of the game so why put themselves in that position?
As for the NRL judiciary if you like the idea of one guy in a room with a video player deciding who gets suspended and for how long and the players having to face longer sanctions for fighting the charge. At least our players have to be proven guilty.

Sent using Tapatalk

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
My 2 cents on the tip tackle... the guys who did it are prem players who have been playing rugby for many years. My point being that they know the consequences of actions like this, if I was a filth old boy I'd be far angrier at the player than the ref... quite simply they know better than to do that in any game let alone a prelim final. Granted they didn't drive him into the ground however they did just drop him once he was upside down from quite a height, bloody stupid in my eyes and quite dangerous.

On Con, the impression I get is that he does the simple things extremely well(which players at the top level seem to be struggling with at the moment) which gives the players around him confidence knowing that he will never miss a tackle, throw a rubbish pill etc allowing them to just concentrate on their job. Obviously that's pretty desirable for a teammate which is why many people who have played with him rate him very highly. I hope he makes it to the next level as he is a top bloke who works hard, but who the hell knows?!?! Rugby can be a cruel mistress at times! I reckon 12 is probably his position.

slydare

Frank Nicholson (4)
No question that it looked pretty bad. The only thing I could say in their defence is that it happened very fast and I don't think there was any intent there.

At the time I thought red was a rough call, but I admit that I am pretty ignorant on what the standards are. If tip tackles are automatic red cards then fair enough. It certainly didn't make that much difference to the end result. The heavies were far too good.

I was hoping to catch the last half of the GPS - Sunnybank game, but I wasn't allowed in with the dog so had to take her home. I only made it back with 20 seconds to go which was a real shame. To quote a mate of mine - whatever happened to "one man and his dog turned up to watch club rugby"?

neverhasbeen

Stan Wickham (3)
It will be interesting to see if Freney will be able to play this weekend. The judiciary may see that the time he was off the field was enough punishment and no further suspension should apply.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
It will be interesting to see if Freney will be able to play this weekend. The judiciary may see that the time he was off the field was enough punishment and no further suspension should apply.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. The judicial officer is the same guy who gave Quade his suspension. Glad it isn't my job!

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
QRU suspension guidelines are clear - no question of intent to be taken into account.

Guidelines say 1-3 weeks for a less serious tackle and 4-8 weeks for a 'more' serious tackle without defining what 'more' means.

Only way to argue for no suspension would be to argue that it wasn't a red card offence and I doubt anyone would go into the judiciary arguing that so I expect the only argument will be whether it was 'less' or 'more' serious.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Based on this photo, all comments anti the ref should be retracted and the 7 should get at least 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm sorry.. Can't do that.

If this was red card worthy (which I now agree it is) then the referee/touch judge should of held council and figured out the 2nd man who is just as guilty.

referees cop flack quite a bit for bad calls.. but fans mostly get furiated by the no-calls.. Good on the referee for sending off 1 of the offenders, shame on referee for not getting the other bloke.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
2nd man in tackle & lack of evidence in image to identify the other culprit should have a good case for Freney to maybe escape charges for next weeks match.

Gotta love society these days when we find a culprit & proceed to lynch him when others are just as much at fault.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It will be interesting to see how it goes. The judicial officer is the same guy who gave Quade his suspension. Glad it isn't my job!

Haha, let's just hope it isn't the same idiot who gave Digby 5 weeks. Then the Filth are really fucked!!

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm sorry.. Can't do that.

If this was red card worthy (which I now agree it is) then the referee/touch judge should of held council and figured out the 2nd man who is just as guilty.

referees cop flack quite a bit for bad calls.. but fans mostly get furiated by the no-calls.. Good on the referee for sending off 1 of the offenders, shame on referee for not getting the other bloke.

That shot is only one still frame from the video. Having watched the video of the match it was Freney who was on the legs whilst the other player made contact on the ball - he wasn't the one who tipped him up. There's no issue identifying the second player from the video but he didn't deserve punishment at the time or to be cited.

Listening to the audio whilst the three referees discussed it they were all in agreement as to the player and the red card call. Tough call to make knowing they'd get flack but they got it right and handled it well.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I agree with Scott. The 7 was the main man lifting while the other player had a far less effect on the lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.