• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In regards to Nick Stiles, I would say that I think it is pretty unfair assessment to say that he didn't deserve his crack.

After 90 off QLD caps and 10 odd Test Caps his coaching career started

- DOR of UQ
- Forwards Coach Kubota
- Head Coach Kubota
I think this was a 5 year period, then returned to the Force as assistant coach.
He is a Queenslander through and through and while the Force weren't a success during his period, the forwards as a group improved, you can't ask for more than from an assistant coach.

I would say that he is more prepared than 2 part time coaches. Nick won't win many popularity contests out there, hell I have heard the saying that even his mum doesn't like him! But this is a profession and not a popularity contest.

Didn't QLD go down the pathway of appointing from within previously?Mark McBain, Jeff Miller, Andrew Slack, Damon Emtage, Phil Mooney.All did not serve any type of professional rugby apprenticeship and look where that landed the state rugby system. In tatters!

Let's hope that Stilesy goes well and is a success as we have a young pack who will need an experienced coach at that level!

I don't think things were in tatters with McBain. He actually could hold his head high after his time with the Reds. He had some issues with the playing group, Foley in particular.

I would have thought Emtage was serving an apprenticeship as an assistant coach. Surely that's what Tiger Tale wanted. A Premier grade coach to under go an apprenticeship as an assistant coach with a Super team.

I'm hopeful Stiles can do a good job. I have no issue with the Head Coach picking his assistants. They have to face the music if it all goes to shit. Let them have what they want so they can't blame anyone else.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
To clear things up Terrace had 4 of the last 8 Premiership winning Premier Grade captains plus one Aust Club Champs captain as Bertini captained Easts in that game.

T

Tigers Tale

I would have thought Emtage was serving an apprenticeship as an assistant coach. Surely that's what Tiger Tale wanted. A Premier grade coach to under go an apprenticeship as an assistant coach with a Super team.

ex Jets

Absolutely Jets - we have agreed twice in two days!!

I just want to see a pathway from Premier Grade Rugby to the Reds for players/coaches.

Why do Graham, Stiles, McGahan, Checka all have to go abroad before they are given credibility in Australia.? Maybe that's why we've had a Kiwi in charge of the Wallabies and have a Sth African in charge of the Brumbies.

Bob Dwyer, Alan Jones & Greg Smith all graduated from Sydney club rugby to the Wallaby ranks.

I would like to see the Reds pick up a young coach like Pat Byron(Wests) and bring him in for the pre-season - an EPS for coaches if you like.

On the pathways issue why do the Reds need Lachlan Turner? Granted there outside back ranks will be thin for the start of Super 15 2014 but why not give Veresa (Norths), Chris F-Sautia (Souths), Harry Parker(Uni), or Muirhead (Souths) a go? In Veresa & Parker's case would Paul Carozza have been given a chance in this day and age? Veresa would be a promoters dream if he stood up at Super 15 level.

I also appreciate that JJ Taulagi & Samu Kerevi have been given Reds contracts for 2014 which is great but Lachlan Turner - please don't waste the money!

Why not see how Shannon Walker would go - he scored a try against Bros for Easts in the 2012 Welsby Cup final and hasn't played another game of 15s since. He was aligned to Sunnybank this year but I don't think he played a game. Even going back to his Intrust Super Cup days at the Tweed Seagulls - one thing that stood out was that he knew the way to the try line.

I am not saying that the Reds have been totally remiss in identifying Premier grade talent and giving them a go - e.g. James Slipper, Jake Schatz, Liam Gill, James Hanson, Luke Morahan, Albert Anae, Jarrad Butler, Aidan Toua, etc

I really am not 100% Easts-centric - maybe only 95%.

T

Tigers Tale

To clear things up Terrace had 4 of the last 8 Premiership winning Premier Grade captains plus one Aust Club Champs captain as Bertini captained Easts in that game.

This will make it 3 Jets - let's hope we have another Terrace Old Boy hold aloft the Hospital Cup on Sunday afternoon.

An Easts junior graduating to Premier Grade Premiership Captain would make for a very proud day for the Easts club.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I agree with Tigers Tale, I think we should look amongst the Premier Grade coaching rank, instead of going interstate/overseas. There's plenty of coaches up for it. Matt Kaye or Zane Hilton could be looked at. The current Brothers coach hasn't had the fire power to work with compared to other clubs and has done well in regards to how far he has gotten Brothers the past 3 years. I'm not sounding biased towards one club, there are plenty of other good coaches out there.

Lachie Turner to the Reds is interesting. Considering that there is a lot of depth for wingers in the Queensland Comp, so again I agree with Tigers Tale, however, we might as well just get him. If he goes to University, I will collapse as SunnyCoast or Norths would be more adequate.

Finally to the rugby itself, this should be a cracking Grand-Final. Both teams want it equally, and I imagine plenty of GPS old Boys will turn out since they haven't played a final since the mid-90s.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I'd probably toss Anthony Matheson, who has been an assistant coach to Heenan at GPS and at Uni,into the mix too. He's done very well with an extremely young forward pack & high player turnover over te past few years.

Not sure Heeno would take the pay cut involved with coaching full time (especially with a young family)!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will be interesting to see whether Gorman getting off at judiciary forces any changes to the starting forward pack on the weekend, especially considering how effective Pat O'Connor was.

Against Easts who have two big strong locks I would be inclined to start both Gorman and O'Connor, move Ellis to No.8 and put Mitch King on the bench. I know King has been playing some great footy but there was a real need for some tall timber when GPS and Easts played in the first round of finals. Let O'Connor empty the tank and bring King on to provide some impact with 30mins to go.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'd probably toss Anthony Matheson, who has been an assistant coach to Heenan at GPS and at Uni,into the mix too. He's done very well with an extremely young forward pack & high player turnover over te past few years.

Not sure Heeno would take the pay cut involved with coaching full time (especially with a young family)!

Good point Cat_A, I forgot to mention whoever was coaching the University forwards. With their mojo, they are the best forward pack in the comp. With McDuling and Browning being at the centre or everything.

T

Tigers Tale

I heard an interesting event happened at Bottomley Park last night.

Were the Easts boys seeing a ghost or was that a GPS spy standing under the trees at training last night? If it was just a ghost why did it run off when approached?

One wonders what could be gained by the exercise? If it was an Anthony Herbert stunt - then you got us but I don't think it worried the boys I think they thought it quite humorous. I think both sides have a fair read on each others game by this time of the season.

Beware though GPS if you want to start the fun and games because remember what happened to the Wests Bulldog after the Tigers 1999 one point GF win? I am sure that Southern X remembers the day when the Bulldogs was taken for ransom before ultimately being returned to the Kennel unharmed.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
On the pathways issue why do the Reds need Lachlan Turner? Granted there outside back ranks will be thin for the start of Super 15 2014 but why not give Veresa (Norths), Chris F-Sautia (Souths), Harry Parker(Uni), or Muirhead (Souths) a go? In Veresa & Parker's case would Paul Carozza have been given a chance in this day and age? Veresa would be a promoters dream if he stood up at Super 15 level.

I also appreciate that JJ Taulagi & Samu Kerevi have been given Reds contracts for 2014 which is great but Lachlan Turner - please don't waste the money!

Why not see how Shannon Walker would go - he scored a try against Bros for Easts in the 2012 Welsby Cup final and hasn't played another game of 15s since. He was aligned to Sunnybank this year but I don't think he played a game. Even going back to his Intrust Super Cup days at the Tweed Seagulls - one thing that stood out was that he knew the way to the try line.

I'd be taking Lachie Turner above all those names any day (aside from Chris F'Sautia).

There is a big step up to Super Rugby, and it takes time for players to adapt. With JJ Taulagi and Aiden Toua still raw at Super Rugby level, I wouldn't want another in-experienced player being their back-up at this stage.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
I heard an interesting event happened at Bottomley Park last night.

Were the Easts boys seeing a ghost or was that a GPS spy standing under the trees at training last night? If it was just a ghost why did it run off when approached?

One wonders what could be gained by the exercise? If it was an Anthony Herbert stunt - then you got us but I don't think it worried the boys I think they thought it quite humorous. I think both sides have a fair read on each others game by this time of the season.

Beware though GPS if you want to start the fun and games because remember what happened to the Wests Bulldog after the Tigers 1999 one point GF win? I am sure that Southern X remembers the day when the Bulldogs was taken for ransom before ultimately being returned to the Kennel unharmed.

So all i got from this was someone was watching Easts train, probably a local resident or supporter walking past only to be scared off and have to run away. Seems to be getting harder and harder to support Easts these days......even the locals are getting scared off. I really doubt anyone from GPS would have left Ashgrove to make the long journey to that side of town.

yoke

Bob McCowan (2)
Look I have clearly stirred up enough people who contribute to this forum in only 6 days of contribution.

I am clearly a one eyed Tigers fan but unlike most of the other contributors (who can only see things from their own club's perspective) I have a greater desire to enhance the Premier Competition across the board.

Ill informed comment by self interested persons is not for me and I think I should retire from further contribution and simply sit back and enjoy the finals series.

All the best to you club in the future.

Tigers Tale

Tiger Tale. Please stick to your word with what you wrote above. Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee!

T

Tigers Tale

Tiger Tale. Please stick to your word with what you wrote above. Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee!

You have your wish Mr Yoke - going by the reaction to a tongue and cheek post about ghosts and spies at Easts training I have again clearly upset enough fellow contributors. My posts whether rugby based or intended humor clearly do not accord with others in the forum.

Mr Yoke can I ask - what club you have allegiances to?

I hope that Easts can win on Sunday so that the "Easts haters" amongst you can finally and begrudgingly give credit to what is a very talented group of young men.

The GPS preparation must be swimming along now that Gorman has been cleared to play.

I honestly wish GPS all the best and as I have said previously it is great that the clubs with the biggest junior bases are playing off in the GF - let's hope their parents can bring them out to Ballymore this Sunday.

May the best team win.

Mr Yoke you have your wish I happily sign off for the last time in the best way I can - Easts Easts Easts

Dont be chirpin

Frank Row (1)
G'day lads been a while. Missed me?

Noticed a few blokes have started to go quiet. Last time I was on here Jets though the bank still had a shot at making the finals hahah

Love ya work Tigers Tale

Anyone else looking forward to getting down to bottomley park on sunday night and drinking from the hospital cup?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I reckon this Sunday, we could see possibly the biggest GF crowd. I think Souths Vs Brothers game had the biggest crowd back in 2009.
I noticed about double the people in the crowd after the Brothers vs Uni semi-final just to watch Easts v Jeeps. As I said before I imagine the GPS Old Boys will turn out in their droves along with Easts.
GPS have had a good year with about 4 or 5 sides in the finals, in a way matching Uni's performance last year.
In regards to the 007 Jeeps spy at Easts training, I kinda doubt that as I think Easts (not 100% sure) posts their game videos online...if Jeeps wanted to know how Easts play, then they can ascertain quite a lot from those videos.
From previous experiences, all I can recommend to Jeeps is not get involved with Easts niggle during the game, it cost us a final a few years ago, due to the referee being a moron.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I heard a rumour he is linked to Logan.

I thought contract players had to sign with a club that plays in the Premier comp? (I know Logan technically do but they don't have the premier grade team) or at least sign with a club who has Premier affiliations ie Will Genia being signed with Maleny through the Sunny Coast (guess that won't be an options now either).

T

Tigers Tale

Sorry I said I wouldn't but Big Dog I think the Stalwart was taking the xxxx! Please Logan!

Turner is coming to the GF with Benny Mowen who is a mate of his and has referred him to Tigerland - sorry gents just adding to the backline strength at the Tigers in 2014 who will probably also see Chris Mansell (one of the fastest wingers in the comp in 2012) back in the fold.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If Turner chooses the Tigers based on friendship & turns down the recruitment dollars which will be thrown about by ***, ** & ********* then I applaud him.

Actually I've decided to choose the Tigers in this weekend on the basis of how the 2 featured clubs operate. In 1 Corner we have a team that recruits emerging talent really well but hasn't had a active wallaby on the book for over 2 decades. On the other hand we have a club who throws money round to recruit to bring in wallabies to bolster their profile, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the 2nd option & I'd embrace it as well if my local was a gravy train. I just feel more comfortable supporting an honest program such as the Tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.