• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Reg - any thoughts on the colour scheme for the two QLD teams?

Will City play in Blue and Gold? (this is not my Easts one eye it is the Brisbane City colours and traditionally the City Rugby team wears B&G)

What colours do the Country Team traditionally wear?

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Warhorse, I think you will find that I have been pumping up the virtue of the Magpies for some time now on this forum, and anyone who doesn't rate them does so at their own peril.

But from a serious rugby perspective does 8 tries say more about Norths than it does about Souths?? Just asking - maybe TGB could offer an opinion on the Norths performance.

I agree TT but Norths did comeback strongly in the second half and in fact won the half by 17-7

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg - any thoughts on the colour scheme for the two QLD teams?

Will City play in Blue and Gold? (this is not my Easts one eye it is the Brisbane City colours and traditionally the City Rugby team wears B&G)

What colours do the Country Team traditionally wear?

yep, traditionally the Brisbane City team have worn jerseys very similar to the Tigers.

Here is the QLD Country Bushrangers normal get-up, but don't think it will be this for the NRC, because I don't believe Qld Country are involved.

Country%20Team%20Photo.jpg

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
TT - Souths came out firing and had their 4 try bonus point within 15mins :(

No excuses at all -
One was a charge down, 2 were bad defensive reads by us and 1 was a turnover to a pacey wing and away he went, with a very good fend.

Well taken opportunities.

All in all, where we have fallen down in the past few seasons, the 2nd half, I thought we held ourselves well. Yes winning the 2nd half, but still need to get our start right. A few nerves from a very young side but now they have had a taste, they will be better for it.

You can't take anything away from Souths though, well structured with individual brilliance and pace. Experience mixed with youth.

A very well referred game as well which was good to see!

Both sides played in very good spirits.

Tough gig first up, but we will learn from it and come out firing this weekend vs the Bulldogs at home.

Sent from my mind......

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
TT - Souths came out firing and had their 4 try bonus point within 15mins :(

No excuses at all -
One was a charge down, 2 were bad defensive reads by us and 1 was a turnover to a pacey wing and away he went, with a very good fend.

Well taken opportunities.

All in all, where we have fallen down in the past few seasons, the 2nd half, I thought we held ourselves well. Yes winning the 2nd half, but still need to get our start right. A few nerves from a very young side but now they have had a taste, they will be better for it.

You can't take anything away from Souths though, well structured with individual brilliance and pace. Experience mixed with youth.

A very well referred game as well which was good to see!

Both sides played in very good spirits.

Tough gig first up, but we will learn from it and come out firing this weekend vs the Bulldogs at home.

Sent from my mind..

TrainerGB - excellent summary of the game. Totally agree with all you have said here.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Frisby, Campbell, Mullins in the City side but there is also Scoty Gale to consider.
I would also put Will Thompson in this category of player. Maybe a little bias but he has been just as influenceial as Buchanan and co in Uni's successes over the last 4 years. One of the true nice guys of the comp coincidently plays his 100th game of premier grade for the heavies this weekend. Not a bad effort when you consider he has had to contend with players like Ian prior, Mark swanapole and now Scott Gale along the way.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Qld City & Qld Country.

It would be nice if it was just North/South of the river because I thought the Tornados/Aces both had a even distribution of talent.

A few Reds players have gone over to do seasons in the ITM Cup. (I can think of some of recent Beau & Anae)

With those boys in essence under contract involved with the ARU. This might actually open up some spots for QLD Premier Rugby players to cut short their seasons & go fill the openings in New Zealand. I know of some fringe players involved in Qld Premier Rugby who have hinted at exploring this option because there are no guarantees (as of yet) that they'll be involved with the 2x QLD teams.

I also imagine the ITM Cup has poached their fair share of Shute Shield players over the years.. with NSW having 4x NRC teams (diluting the SS prospects on offer for ITM teams), I Imagine that opens up more opportunities for QLD Premier Rugby to take some of these limited ITM spots.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How many Brothers players will get picked in the NRC? I'm going two. If they win the premiership, I'm going three.

If Wests come last, they might get four.

Please explain? Who are your candidates? Ed & Nigel ... Am I missing anybody?

I guess this is just a bit of tongue and cheek & kicking the underdog while it's down... Didn't have enough of your just desserts after prying back Sam Greene after we put him in the spotlight?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Okay let's get a list of who we reckon will feed the two teams.

Easts: Parraka, Ready, Sanday, Enever, Gunn, Mullins, Brandon, White, Placid, Seuteni, Toua, Quirk, Turner

University: Owen, Hanson, McDuling, Browning, Buchanan, Gale, Taulagi, Davies, Harris, Faagese, Johnson

GPS: Kite, Frisby. Kerevi, Kuridrani,

Brothers: Beauchamp, Shipperely, Greene

Wests: O'Donoghue,Genia

Norths: Vuki

Souths: Robinson

Sunnybank: WTS Hooker, Ah Wong, Taefu, Tapuai, Shatz, Lucas

Add those who you reckon, I'm sure I've forgotten plenty.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
T12, I think you've been a bit cruel to Easts, 13 is surely not enough??

Greene put Wests in the spotlight last year through being the only decent player.

Yeah that remark was scrapping the bottom of the barrel. You do have Dizzy, Michael Lee, Genia, and a few other decent back rowers. If you keep them and a few others away from a certain neighbouring club over near the river you might go alright in the years to come.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Well I know Easts players much better, so I can put forward more names, hence the open invitation to add players from other clubs.

Plus looked more at WTS players, where there are several Easts.

T

Tigers Tale

Okay let's get a list of who we reckon will feed the two teams.

Easts: Parraka, Ready, Sanday, Enever, Gunn, Mullins, Brandon, White, Placid, Seuteni, Toua, Quirk, Turner

University: Owen, Hanson, McDuling, Browning, Buchanan, Gale, Taulagi, Davies, Harris, Faagese, Johnson

GPS: Kite, Frisby. Kerevi, Kuridrani,

Brothers: Beauchamp, Shipperely, Greene

Wests: O'Donoghue,Genia

Norths: Vuki

Souths: Robinson

Sunnybank: WTS Hooker, Ah Wong, Taefu, Tapuai, Shatz, Lucas

Add those who you reckon, I'm sure I've forgotten plenty.

Some you may have missed:
Sam Johnston
(Reds A/GPS)

Muirhead (Souths)

Sunnybank #10/15 from NSW & played Aust U20s last year? McIntyre??

Murphy(Bros)

Ant Faiinga (GPS) - I just don't think he's going to get much Wallaby time in 2014

irt Jake Schatz - I think he could see some serious Wallaby time in 2014

And question is whether the direction is to go with young guys or experience in which case that might rule out a Brandon or a Murphy but may bring the Qld U20s into the fold. (You have plenty of them Filth)

Because if the criteria is players likely to be in Reds in 2015 that will rule out Brandon because I think his S15 card has been stamped.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth you question why T12 has put forward 13 Tigers for the NRC - I think that over the years if you win titles even your lesser likely players get the call up.

In the 1970/early 80s if you didn't play for Brothers or Uni you would struggle to break into the Qld side.

In the late 80s/90s most of the Qld side played for Souths or joined Souths.

Filth you just have to accept that at this stage of the cycle Brothers are just off the pace - having said that you did beat Sunnybank with a depleted squad last Saturday - but in a couple of years when your U20s step up that will surely change and you won't get to see much of them as they play S15.

Having said that I think you could mount an argument for each of the 13 Tigers that T12 has named to be involved in the NRC. The only two who haven't been involved in Rep rugby this year are Mullins & Brandon and as the Premiers you could mount a case that they are the best halves pairing in QPR???

T

Tigers Tale

I think clubs will get their Reds left overs /Reds A players back this week but not the Under 20s.

That is good news for the Tigers as Ready, Paraka & Enever come back in for the Souths clash. That will see Randell, Kimmince & Moore back into the Prem Reserves.

The Tigers will be hoping to get better results in Reserve Grade in 2014.

UJ & Wilkin are still 5/6 weeks away.

Status
Not open for further replies.