• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Two must win games for Brothers in the next fortnight.

Brothers will be playing under lights for Premier Grade against Easts.

Due to respecting Anzac Day and other reasons, club games can't start till 12:00pm.

I would prefer if clubs/ sporting teams didn't play on Anzac Day, but the decision has been made by the ARU.

T

Tigers Tale

Maybe its something we just need to keep an eye on as the season progresses to see if any trend does evolve it is probably too early in the season to make a valued judgement.

For those out there who think I criticise certain referee(s) - this is not a crusade to criticise any particular referee because the games in which Easts have received YC x 2 have been refereed by:
- GPS - Simon Moore;
- UNI - Matt O'Brien;
- STH - Damien Mitchelmore

Cat_A do you know what the rule is in relation to YC carrying over into the finals - are players given a clean slate coming into the finals or could a player miss a final if he was sitting on 2 YCs going into the finals and then cops one in a semi-final?

Again if they are genuine YCs accumulated over the course of the season I would have no issue but if a #7 (like Gunn) who apply their trade at the line of the law cops a couple of YC throughout the course of the year purely because referees are wishing to assert their authority I think this a bit rich that they could miss a game as a consequence.

Isn't a penalty a sufficient and appropriate method by which a referee can achieve the same outcome?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
In 2010 YCs were re-set at the beginning of the finals series, but somewhere between then and 2012 it changed and they no longer re-set at Week 1 of finals. So yes, if someone sitting on 2 YCs gets another in a semi then they can miss the GF.

I don't think referees are trying to assert their authority when they card people; I think the yellow card is the appropriate escalation for repeated infringements.

It then comes back to player management and balancing risk vs. reward etc. as to whether you risk that player in the major semi, or the final round. Or if you send them out in later round games and hope they cop a yellow card in the final couple of rounds (but not the final round) so the card count resets after their suspension. Or a generous teammate is prepared to take the grenade (so to speak) and take the penalty and card instead. It can be a huge test of depth for the club come finals time, regardless.

I personally prefer the YC card count resetting at finals, but I can also see the drawback in that it essentially gives all players free-rein to blatantly infringe as of week 1 of finals.

Tiger Land

Stan Wickham (3)
Two must win games for Brothers in the next fortnight.

Brothers will be playing under lights for Premier Grade against Easts.

Due to respecting Anzac Day and other reasons, club games can't start till 12:00pm.

I would prefer if clubs/ sporting teams didn't play on Anzac Day, but the decision has been made by the ARU.

Does this mean premier grade will play much later or at the same time?

T

Tigers Tale

Thanks Cat_A I agree and understand what you are saying.

But a YC in the first 5 minutes of a game for a perceived "standard penalty" infringement is a bit rich - I think Gunn could consider himself hard done by.

My original point stands that if a players YC count is inflated by a referees desire to assert his authority on a game and players ultimately miss games as a result I think that a bit rich.

I do not believe that the purpose of (or rules relating to) a YC is to assist the referee in asserting their authority they should only be used as a punishment far a breach of the a significant rule, a professional fowl or repeated infringement following a warning.

That's it I will say no more on the topic unless it escalates over coming weeks.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth how do your boys usually perform after dark?

Easts recent history of twilight games:
v Souths 2013 narrow win @ Bottomley;
v Sydney Uni 2014 narrow loss @ Bottomley.

That to me suggests that your boys should start favourites given you won both contests in 2014.

Tiger Land

Stan Wickham (3)
Totally agree with you Tigers Tale, as if a referee has a desire to assert his authority it can have a detrimental effect on clubs such as Easts and can lead to important games being lost.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
As I said TT, I haven't noticed any real changes to how Uni are being refereed - they still get carded as frequently as they always have.

Welcome (?) to 14-man rugby. ;)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TT, I don't know about the entrance fee. I'm personally against it being charged on days like Anzac Day, but it is up to the club.

Tiger Land, I think all Premier Grade games will be pushed back to 5.30pm. With grades and colts games starting at 12.00pm through to Premier game at 5.30pm.

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
What was the final score Propspersective?

Scoreline was a little lopsided but it flattered Brothers - it was 20-10 at halftime (3 tries to 2) and that is probably the better indication - Brothers were strong in the forwards but most of their tries were long range runaway affairs. Great game though - credit to all players.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Anyone with any ideas on how many scrums actually result on a ball being fed and a half back passing it or No. 8 running it in Premier grade this season?
After watching wests v GPS on Sat - I would say the percentage is very low.
Old mate ref-ing on Saturday blew a half arm or a full arm for close to the first 10 scrums of the match...I think I heard Stan choke on his can at one point.
No one went along to watch that - it's seriously time for the referees to have a long hard look I reckon...

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyone with any ideas on how many scrums actually result on a ball being fed and a half back passing it or No. 8 running it in Premier grade this season?
After watching wests v GPS on Sat - I would say the percentage is very low.
Old mate ref-ing on Saturday blew a half arm or a full arm for close to the first 10 scrums of the match.I think I heard Stan choke on his can at one point.
No one went along to watch that - it's seriously time for the referees to have a long hard look I reckon.
Maybe its time the players and coaches got themselves a law book and worked out how to scrum legally?

T

Tigers Tale

Can anyone from Norths or Brothers fill me in on Elias Power's background?

How many games/seasons did he spend at those two clubs?

He has been great for Easts this year.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the problem with referees and scrum-time is they are afraid for a proper contest to happen. They know it is a hotly contentious subject and would rather make a decision early in the piece than let it play out.

Also, at all levels, not just QPR, referees seem to be making assumptions on 'dominant' scrums early in the game and then rolling with those decisions for consecutive scrums, rather than looking for scrums 'infringements' (e.g. illegal binds) they look at which team is going backwards and penalize them.

There is no easy answer to prevent this but it does make games hard to watch and frustrating for coaches who know they are being hard done by.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Can anyone from Norths or Brothers fill me in on Elias Power's background?

How many games/seasons did he spend at those two clubs?

He has been great for Easts this year.
Elias grew up out west on a property between the mighty metropolis' of Surat and Glen Morgan.
He will no doubt be seen playing for the Condamine Cods with his brother and Qld country rep, Sonny during bye rounds.
Went to nudgee and then to Norths straight out of school I believe.
Is mainly a 7 but can play any backrow position or centre

Status
Not open for further replies.