• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeh in all honesty I don't have a problem with it. Clubs have done it in the past and more clubs will do it again. As long as the money is going towards keeping club rugby alive in brisbane then I'm all for it.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The only problem with other Clubs trying to charge is that Crosby Park is the only enclosed ground. I remember when clubs tried to charge in previous years, it cost more to erect temporary fencing than collected in entry money.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Should be every club, or no club.

Closer car parking, yeah sure why not?
Food and drinks, of course!
But to go and watch your son play Colts, or your husband or boyfriend, brother, father or mate play 1st grade CLUB rugby or above, it should be free, it has to be free, for the game!

Otherwise we not only lose the players (as we are finding across the board) but also the supporters.

Life is tough. $5 to watch a game of club footy will be well down the list for a lot of people I think.

Other clubs have had to put up their players fees, and clubs that are in a worse position than Brothers have done also.

$425 to play at Norths for Prems and grades.
Basically you get; Playing shorts & socks, training singlet, training shirt and polo shirt.
Obviously as well as game day strapping, game day Doc and Physio, washed Jersey and all that other basic standard stuff.
We aren't the cheapest and we aren't the dearest, but with the size of the playing group at Brothers, surely a small increase across the board in playing fees would be more beneficial than turning people away on game day??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Prem grade, yes.... Totally agree. $5 is very reasonable for sure!!
Every other grade though?
That's why it needs to be across the board, but there isn't the infrastructure to make that happen at this stage....

Unless we use the most valuable asset to QRU grassroots rugby - Ballymore? Friday and Saturday night Prems games?
Another topic though.

Sent from my mind......

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
I watched the Tigers against Under 20s. Pretty scrappy affair (many drop balls, terrible line outs and problems with scrum), got somewhat better when Easts players ran out of steam (under 20s used 2 teams). It was interesting to watch potential number 8 for under 20 (Junior vs. Fox). I have to say Fox played very well and I predict that the contest for this position will be very tight. I also saw Gunn, Korczyk, Mafi, Pleash and others watching the game from the sideline.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth my point is that no one gets paid to play Prem/club rugby so I think it a bit rich to charge people to watch it.

I agree with TGB where is the equity in subsidising the reg'n fees for the Brothers players when other clubs don't/can't/wouldn't charge their supporters.

Just put the price of cans up a $1.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Agree with Warhorse and TrainerGB. The rest of the clubs have raised their fees to cover this cost.... why should one club start charging visitors to cover their registration fee?

It has to be an all(clubs) or nothing approach. The issue with this, as already mentioned, is that most clubs do not have the infrastructure and the price to erect temporary fencing would likely make the entry fees pointless.

Are Brothers planning on charging all players, coaches, managers & trainers of opposition teams entry? I'm talking lower grades, colts and women who have already paid the extra at their own club to cover their registration. Now having to pay for opposition players' registration? I don't think that will go down well.

T

Tigers Tale

The QRU should tell Brothers to pull their head in but won't because "Qld's Best Know and Successful Club" does what it likes and always has.

It is a shame because Crosby is a great rugby theatre when there is a big crowd in. Will be interesting to see if crowd numbers are down as a result of this?

Just another reason to dislike the Filth. They acquired the nick name for a reason.

Maybe other clubs should bill Brothers for match day costs when Brothers play away?

Are Brothers taking a game to Roma again this year? - will they charge entry at that game?

T

Tigers Tale

Filth you don't get it do you - it is not about the quantum it is about the principle of charging an entry fee to watch amateur sport.

Rugby is dying in this country and things like this don't help.

Cricket Australia don't charge people to attend Sheffield Shield games but Brothers charge people to attend a colts 2 game played at sparrows on a Saturday morning - unbelievably short sighted!!

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don't have an issue with brothers for this. They have the advantage of a pretty well secure ground so why not use it (I assume the chainwire fence was put in place years ago for this very reason). While it is amateur sport the club itself has to make money otherwise it goes under.
Clubs should be encouraged to find ways to make themselves financially viable. How good would it be for grassroots rugby if we could have more clubs like sunnybank.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Don't get to upset about paying.

To watch the Shute Shield in Sydney it's $15 per person. Payment is from game one (4th Grade) at about 10am onwards till the second half in 1st grade. So if you just want to pop in and watch your child or mate play in the lower grades than go you are up for a charge.

Clubs sell season passes that work out at about $5 per game for a season. That is for their home games only. If you travel to watch then you are up for the $15 entry at the away game.

If Brothers want to charge $5 per game entry fee, then hopefully it can only benefit their club.

I was actually shocked when I moved here and entry to the ground was free. Don't get me wrong, I love not paying.

However, if the entry fee is to the benefit of the local club and it's grassroots (juniors) than, as a supporter of rugby in general, I have no problems paying to watch something I love.

I do say all this with no real affiliation to any Brisbane club......at the moment and cannot wait for the season proper to kick off.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To expand slightly on what George has posted, Colts footy in Sydney is usually free of charge, unless they happen to be playing in a Super Saturday type event when all Club teams play at the same venue, with the order of ceremonies usually being something like:

Main Oval (costs money to watch)
3pm - 1st Grade
1:15 pm - 2nd Grade (or Colts 1)
12:00 - 1st Colts (or 2nd Grade)
10:30 - 3rd Grade

Back Oval (free)
1:15 pm - 2nd Colts
12:00 - 4th Grade
10:30 - 3rd Colts

Players from the back oval games use their players pass to get in to the main oval to support Colts 1 or First Grade. The few spectators attending the back oval games (not worth the effort to charge them entry) generally don't hang around for the 1st Grade on the main oval (the main drawcard for spectators).

When Grade teams are playing at Home, the Colts matches are usually played against the same club but at their opponents home venue. The small number of spectators at Colts games on those occasions make it not cost effective to charge an entry fee, generally it's only the occasional parent/parents and girlfriend in attendance. In their first few games of Colts, this can require a bit of an adjustment for some of the former Private Schoolboy superstars as they were previously accustomed to playing in front of large and vocally supportive crowds.

There is also the rare Friday night game of a Colts 1 curtain raiser followed by First Grade (with an admission fee), with the balance of the Colts and Grade games being played across two venues on Saturday with no entry fee.

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
Guys back about 20 to 30 years ago Wests used to charge a gold coin entry to the match day, I know as I was on the committee back then when we introduced it. We would have charged everyone but we couldn't fence off all the ground. Brothers used to do this in the 80s as they could fence off all the ground. I think in those days it was $3.00 per person. If you were in a team you used to get player passes just like you did when you went to Ballymore.
There is nothing new in this and I do not have a problem with it. The small amount that is charged helps enormously with the costs of running a club. All clubs are struggling and I do not think it is onerous to charge a small fee. Lets face it guys you'd waste this amount carrying the beer back to your mates during a game

T

Tigers Tale

Rat that is exactly where my problem lies it is $5 towards supporting the Brothers Rugby Club!!

As an Easts supporter I have no desire to assist the Brothers club in any way shape or form if at all possible.

If all clubs did it then no problem but it is inequitable for one club to charge to view whilst others do not.

Brother like most other clubs have a supporter membership which I see is $50 which includes free entry to their home games ($2 x 9 home games) - why do they think it right to then collect $5 from every visiting team's spectator throughout the course of the year - why isn't is $2 which they say is the members charge per home game?

Why aren't members of other clubs/Reds given the discounted/free entry? Reds membership gets you in free to Premier Grade finals so why shouldn't it get you in free to Crosby?

I can't believe that other non-Filth contributors can't see the inequity in all of this.

Maybe all the visiting clubs should charge Brother for their teams to turn up and provide half the entertainment?

Or why don't they split the proceeds from the gate with the visiting club?

This is nothing other than a mercenary grab for cash.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Rat that is exactly where my problem lies it is $5 towards supporting the Brothers Rugby Club!!

As an Easts supporter I have no desire to assist the Brothers club in any way shape or form if at all possible.

If all clubs did it then no problem but it is inequitable for one club to charge to view whilst others do not.

Brother like most other clubs have a supporter membership which I see is $50 which includes free entry to their home games ($2 x 9 home games) - why do they think it right to then collect $5 from every visiting team's spectator throughout the course of the year - why isn't is $2 which they say is the members charge per home game?

Why aren't members of other clubs/Reds given the discounted/free entry? Reds membership gets you in free to Premier Grade finals so why shouldn't it get you in free to Crosby?

I can't believe that other non-Filth contributors can't see the inequity in all of this.

Maybe all the visiting clubs should charge Brother for their teams to turn up and provide half the entertainment?

Or why don't they split the proceeds from the gate with the visiting club?

This is nothing other than a mercenary grab for cash.

I would have to agree with the idea that is a cash grab. If they're are taking advantage of other clubs to fund their own season then they should have to split a portion of it with the visiting team. Especially if a large number of those paying entry are visiting fans. Either that or every other club charges a price for facility usage (change rooms, bar and canteen access, use of fields for training) everytime Brothers visit us. See how they like having to pay to access grassroots community rugby.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Therein lies the problem

Opposition fans are being charged to watch their team (brother, son, boyfriend, mate) play Brothers at Crosby but Filth fans (or family of players etc.) are NOT charged to watch their boys play at Bottomley, Yoku or Uni.

If all clubs did it, it would be play on. As it stands, it's bullshit

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I have absolutely no problem with paying a few dollars to go to the rugby, I thought it was the strangest thing coming here from country NSW where it was the norm to pay $10-$15 to watch first grade rugby league.

Although I agree that it should not just be one club, all clubs should come to an agreed price which should only kick in after a certain point (ie 1hr from prems kick off) and should include a drink/food voucher or something along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.