• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It looks like a very lean year down at Yoku in terms of teams making the finals. At this stage I think only one or two teams will probably make it which is a far cry from when the club won 5 Premierships a couple of years ago.

Watching a few games across the grades the last few weeks and it seems most of the depth which fueled the club since the late 2000's has diminished. There are lots of unfamiliar faces and obviously this is a natural progression but it was still disappointing.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Does any one know when the NRC squads are announced.
I would think the Tight Head for Wests Jake Newell would be in contention.
Is it merit based selection or Reds extended squad and a few players from GPS and Easts?
I assume he was the tigthead for them against Easts? AJ Campbell towled him up in the second half, and even got binned.

AJ & Matty Gordon (12) again were brilliant for Easts on the weekend, and both are worthy of NRC selections. I'd back AJ to start even when Parakka returns, with Parakka coming off the bench as a fresh reserve. Horomia is also in good form for Reserves and when he comes on for Premier. As said before several times, great front row depth at Easts.

Wests were very good against the Tigers, they played a fast brand of footy and got up quick defensively. They deserved the lead in the first half. Easts composed themselves after the break, and used their power up front, with the scrum and maul dominating.

I liked the way Wests played, bodes well for them next season if they keep most of the playing group.

Easts haven't been starting games well lately, and they can't afford that against Brothers & Sunnybank.

Reserve grade is getting very interesting. Tight between Easts, Sunnybank, GPS and University for the final 2 spots (Brothers & Bond ahead), with many of the top 6 playing eachother in the final rounds.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
In relation to the above re: Jake Newell and getting binned...I was there for the game and there was only 7 in the pack for Wests wen he got binned. When they had 8 on the field Wests had the wood on them...Sione Na'a Helu and Newell wouldn't look out of place in NRC if you want scrummagers. The 2 best scrums in the comp by quite a distance against each other yesterday.
Not looking forward to seeing them next week at St Lucia

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
In relation to the above re: Jake Newell and getting binned.I was there for the game and there was only 7 in the pack for Wests wen he got binned. When they had 8 on the field Wests had the wood on them.Sione Na'a Helu and Newell wouldn't look out of place in NRC if you want scrummagers. The 2 best scrums in the comp by quite a distance against each other yesterday.
Not looking forward to seeing them next week at St Lucia

You must have had a head knock. AJ with Ready , Sanday, and Jose when he's played have monstered every scrum. It was the turning point yesterday, as it was at Crosby when Brothers had no answer to AJ Campbell et al.

The guy gets better every week, his running game was outstanding yesterday. Scored once and was over the second time but the Referee was not sighted til the Wests player stuck his hand under the ball.

Massive game this weekend. Brothers balloon about to be popped by 3000 rabid Tiger supporters aged from 4yrs old to 80+.

Easts won't need to be artificially wound up to produce their best this week. This could be the game that shatters the filth, especially after they led by plenty at Crosby and came second.

UQ, Sunnybank , and SOUTHS are all tougher than Brothers touch footy crew.

Wests props were schooled yesterday, maybe next year if they learnt their lessons well

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
8v7 isn't a schooling, Second row for Wests got binned for a stupid punch and then the scrum dominance was there until they were restored to 15...take the rose tinted spectacles off.
When it was 8v8 it was the best contest all year that I've seen. All the props yesterday were outstanding in tight and loose. Nice to see and bodes well for the future of front rows in Queensland hopefully.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
With
8v7 isn't a schooling, Second row for Wests got binned for a stupid punch and then the scrum dominance was there until they were restored to 15.take the rose tinted spectacles off.
When it was 8v8 it was the best contest all year that I've seen. All the props yesterday were outstanding in tight and loose. Nice to see and bodes well for the future of front rows in Queensland hopefully.

Your locks were 40 kgs heavier than ours and for the first 25 mins their was parity after that it was downhill for the Doggies. Round the park your front row went missing. Your lock threw the punch out of frustration. It was Wests who named AJ man of the match voted by your players.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
8v7 isn't a schooling, Second row for Wests got binned for a stupid punch and then the scrum dominance was there until they were restored to 15.take the rose tinted spectacles off.
I'd have to disagree. Even when 8v8 Easts still had the stronger scrum. Yes they weren't rolling 5-10m like they have against many teams this season, but they had strong front foot ball.

On another note, how fast is Morseu! He has always had speed to burn (played him in schoolboy days), but he looks quicker then he ever has, including his time with Uni a few years back. I liked the look of the #13 as well.

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
With

Your locks were 40 kgs heavier than ours and for the first 25 mins their was parity after that it was downhill for the Doggies. Round the park your front row went missing. Your lock threw the punch out of frustration. It was Wests who named AJ man of the match voted by your players.
Didn't he get binned about 10 meters off the Easts tryline, when they were leading just before halftime? I don't think that was frustration, I think that was stupidity.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Didn't he get binned about 10 meters off the Easts tryline, when they were leading just before halftime? I don't think that was frustration, I think that was stupidity.

How's your memory he knew he was on a slippery slope sliding backwards and his props were not capable of turning things around.

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
Man of the match for aj was a bit of a stretch the guy did 1 tackle and had 6 runs and dropped the ball on one of the, easts did win a couple of scrums when Wests were short a man but the scrums on the day were very even and stable. Easts number nine was great on Saturday he was very busy all day.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does any one know when the NRC squads are announced.
I would think the Tight Head for Wests Jake Newell would be in contention.
Is it merit based selection or Reds extended squad and a few players from GPS and Easts?

All squads have to be named by 4 August.

T

Tigers Tale

Fritz nice having you around takes the pressure off me as the chief Tiger antagonist.

Then again I may well still hold that title because maybe you are just the AJ antagonist.

Personally I think AJ has been great this year but you are kidding yourself if you think he'll start ahead of Paraka. Paraka been doing it for Easts, Bne, Reds A, Aust U20 for 4 years now and that gives him plenty of credits.

AJ probably deserves an NRC look in but it will probably have to be QC (Quade Cooper) because BC had a pretty descent stock pile of front row options in NRC14 who will all back up except Sef(injury).

T

Tigers Tale

I still think that any of the top 5 sides could take out the grand final if they get there on the day - the hardest part about winning a GF is actually getting there.

It will be a very hard fought finals series regardless of who makes it:
- Bros look like the most complete side they've had since 2009;
- Uni are a great young side who will be better once Reds/Aust U20 return;
- Snbk ditto Uni - will be very keen to avenge their GF14 loss;
- Souths - none of the other contenders would really like to face them in the finals at their full strength;
- Easts - like any final series will need to lift which they are capable of doing.

It is going to be 6 great weeks of club rugby ahead of us - let's enjoy the ride.

Red Galloper

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have just watched footage of the Easts vs Wests game and I have to say that Easts where def out scrummed all game except for the 15 mins when the 2 Wests forwards where in the bin when they were scrimmaging 7v8 and 6v8. Wests scrum dominated us last week and looked like they did the same to the so called "Best scrum in the comp" Easts. I get that your Easts fans but you have to give credit where credit is due because Kirwan, Ready and AJ def lost the scrum battle when it was 8v8. Wests 1, 2, and 3 have been outstanding this year for a bunch of no names. Not sure why AJ got MOM I would have given it to Mullins but he probably got it because Wests felt sorry for him after he got punched.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
There's plenty of rugby left in the season , plenty of time for some of you to see the light, plenty of time for me to say "I told you so"

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Jeez maybe I had too much sun in my eyes watching the scrums then?

Anyway, 5 points is 5 points, moving on.

Any of the Tigers here think Joel Faulkner isn't up to standard this year? I've been very unimpressed by him, especially defensively. I don't think he has finished a tackle yet. I'd be looking at Bartley or Carroll, both great in reserve grade to take that wing spot.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Joel hasn't had a lot of defensive work to do until recently. I agree he's not where he was 2-3 years ago where his star was rising. However remember he was a centre / fullback in those days. He is a classy player all the same but will need to find form.

Last week showed how important Toby White is to the Tigers in attack and defence.

To the Wests fans glad you finally found your voice I was starting to think all you old dogs had been put down or taken away by the RSPCA .
Easts were below their best last week and in the first half out enthused by a team who got off to a good start and had nothing to lose and we're playing their Grand Final against the top team.
It was the patience and resolve that got the Tigers home in a game many teams might have lost.
This years Tigers have made a habit of toughing out close games.

I wish Wests all the best for next season and applaud your improvement but like GPS in past years and Brother and Easts in recent years the rise starts from the bottom.
In a winning season so far the Tigers have blooded at least 6 current Colts players.
With Pat Richards as Rugby Director, a new position at Tigerland, Tim and Ant, Craig in Reserves, Hougs in First Grade, and Chara with Prem Colts the Club is buzzing.

I hope the Filth are injury free and cocky as hell this Saturday because a last home game and Old Boys Day and school holidays will mean a bumper crowd at Tigerland.

How much damage was done to Brothers self belief at Crosby first round where they gave up a huge lead and lost? We are about to find out. I'm suspecting we might see a blow out win to the Tigers to thank the faithful supporters and send a message to the chasers.
A win will virtually guarantee the Minor Premiership and the Major Semi spot.
Could also start the beginning of the end for the Filth.
Only five more sleeps to go.
If you hate the Filth come along to see how it's done at Tigerland
If you hate the Tigers come along buy a beer and a Tiger Burger and we will make you wish you too were a Tiger.
The difference between hating the Tigers and loving the Tigers is six beers.

Status
Not open for further replies.