• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Waterboy your boys did good yesterday and yes the Thor nearly scored that late try (before your other prodigy - Greene - got the match winner) but you would have to admit that the Easts defence was the reason the Thor had one of his quieter games.

All part of the learning process for a young player and its shows that QPR despite the fact that we rarely see S15 talent running around is still a wonderful breeding ground for young players - Greene himself would not be where he is today without nearly 3 years of QPR under his belt.

UJ Seuteni took 2 years of QPR to convert his prodigious schoolboy talent into match winning performances for the Tigers in the 2013 finals.

It is still a big step from schoolboy star to consistent premier grade player, and an even bigger one if you are 18 and playing in the front row.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Waterboy your boys did good yesterday and yes the Thor nearly scored that late try (before your other prodigy - Greene - got the match winner) but you would have to admit that the Easts defence was the reason the Thor had one of his quieter games.

All part of the learning process for a young player and its shows that QPR despite the fact that we rarely see S15 talent running around is still a wonderful breeding ground for young players - Greene himself would not be where he is today without nearly 3 years of QPR under his belt.

UJ Seuteni took 2 years of QPR to convert his prodigious schoolboy talent into match winning performances for the Tigers in the 2013 finals.

It is still a big step from schoolboy star to consistent premier grade player, and an even bigger one if you are 18 and playing in the front row.

Yes of course. Completely agree. You need to play the best to get better and Nela will be better for it. Easts are a very, very good side and the 2 games so far have been instant classics. They may end up facing off 4 times this season

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
There was a lot of buzz amongst the Easts faithful pre-game about Tupou and how we needed to stop him with the ball, as well as exposing him at scrum time.

Jimmy Moore put on a big shoulder first run on him, and then having a massive Easts scrum where AJ Campbell got the best of him, all directly infront of the beer garden and Easts supporters got the crowd going.

The crowd was very vocal after every strong tackle on him and dominant scrum, which I see as a mark of respect about his ability. The same goes for Greene.

You know a player is talented when the home crowd is that vocal towards them.

Tupou has the biggest legs I have ever seen. Calling them tree trunks would be a diservice.

T

Tigers Tale

Waterboy - I don't know whether my heart could stand a grand final finish like yesterday but last year's QPR GF went down to the last play so let's hope so.

Both clubs need to play and win a bit of rugby before either can eye off a GF appearance.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth - clearly you underestimate Uni, Sunnybank or Souths at your own peril.

I still think it is a 5 horse race for the Hospital Cup not a two horse race.

Your guys will know that better than anyone given they play Uni & Souths in the last two rounds - good luck!!!

Mick Heenan will love the fact that they(Uni) are somewhat flying under the radar - he won't even mind if they have to do it through the minor semi.

T

Tigers Tale

(Slow to the) Breakdown - I never said that Wilkin could feature in Colts this year - I think it was a GPS contributor who lead us down that path.

It is sadly an academic point when it comes to Brad for the rest of 2015.

He is a wonderful kid and I hope he gets his body right and we can see the best of him in the years to come because he has a lot to offer the game at 15s & 7s.

T

Tigers Tale

It is no surprise that their are quality coaches in charge of the top 5 sides but who would be considered the Coach of the Year?

(Please don't respond to this question as I don't want to start an all clubs war on this forum - again!!!)

I would say Sampson, Matho or Picone but Heenan & Seib are very accomplished coaches in their own right and will have their sides primed for the finals.

We are very lucky to have them involved in QPR.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Taking the bias away, I'd still pick Sampson (at this current point). First year as HC with a team everyone thought would be in a shit fight for 4-5-6 position come seasons end, and he's got the Tigers sitting 1st with two rounds to go.

He's also developed a lot of "lesser" players at Easts this season, players who are now vital to the teams success come finals (AJ Campbell, Milosevic, Gordon).

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Big Dog congrats to GPS.

Does he need to dumb his game down a bit to succeed at S15 level - this is not a criticism of Frisby I am just throwing it out there to see what your/others thoughts are.

Could Frisby & Greene be the starting Reds halves in Round 1 of S15 2016? They would probably be the quickest set of halves in S15.

I don't think he necessarily needs to dumb his game down. A lot of people forget he is still only young (23 I believe) but has been with the Reds now for a number of seasons. A lot of his decision making has/will evolve as he gets older and learns to read the game better, this will also come by getting more time on the field for the Reds.

Taking my personal bias out of it (I have been watching Nick since he played at Ashgrove) I think Pickle has the potential to become a better halfback than Genia over the next few years as he has the unteachable quality of being able to break games open with one or two moments of brilliance. Obviously this same trait has been his downfall at times but I think as he gets older he will learn to pick his battles better.

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
Maybe frisby like alot of the younger reds need the coach and the rest of the coaching team to show a bit more faith in them and their skills. They could have given him a go at 9 at the end of the season but they left the old guy who is leaving them in. Frisby came on in a game against Wests last year and won gps the game. He needs to leave like all the other good young players butler, enever, placid.

T

Tigers Tale

Thanks Big Dog - I am actually looking forward to seeing how he goes in NRC#2 and S15 next year.

Let's hope for his sake that he stars at both levels.

He is certainly capable of doing freakish things like his try in GF2013 and the first Bne City try in the NRC that he laid on for Toby White.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree Beer Baron.

The win in the last minutes of the game showed the character of this young Brothers side but I wonder how much more their character can be tested. To my knowledge they have lost "Big Red", Francois Postal, Mafi, Adam Benny, Freney, Knoxy, & Sam Hyne for the season & now it looks like they will be without their hard working captain in Gendle with early reports of a broken ankle. There is still depth in the club but it is being strained & is taking its toll on what has been a great Prem Reserve side this year.

bit of deja vu there, as it comes to finals time injuries get replaced by reserve grade players at Brothers while others sides get boosted with returning S15 exp. players. Was Gendle's injury one back too many??

T

Tigers Tale

The loss of Knox and now Gendle are massive outs for Brothers. I do feel sorry for a stalwart like Gendle missing out on the next month of Rugby.

But Beer Baron no tears shed for Bros by me with their depth being tested, every club deals with this at this time of the year.

I think you will find that not much S15 experience is flowing back to any club - except GPS.

I don't think many of the top 5 teams are going to benefit from a large groups of returning Reds, not to the extent that maybe Uni & Snbk may have a few years back.

I don't think Easts are expecting to see Lachy Turner turn up for QPR duties.

It will be interesting to see who runs out for Sunnybank this weekend.

With all that is going through the papers at present re Karmichael Hunt - I think if he joined any of the clubs at present that he would probably bring more distraction than benefit.

As for Easts - Paraka, Gunn & Wilkin are all out injured at present as a result of injuries sustained playing at higher levels - that's just path the course of club rugby.

That's why a club wins a premiership not your best 15.

T

Tigers Tale

Fritz - did you see who Greene got past in the defensive line in the lead up to the match winner?

I appreciate it was a mismatch - the quickest flyhalf in the comp in the 80th minute going past a bloke (front rower) who had busted his guts all day (as he has done all season) - it is just a cruel game sometimes!!

There were a few "ifs" and "buts" in those last few minutes but Brothers got the chocolates - good luck to them.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Do you have any info on Gunn's injury TT?

I think Easts will be fine without Parraka and Wilkin, we have depth there, but Gunny is a game changer going into finals.

T

Tigers Tale

Don't know how Gunny is going to shape up.

He is the type of guy who will do everything in his powers to get back onto the field - so fingers crossed.

Milo has been great for the Tigers this year but Gunn just provides some X factor.

Fingers crossed that Gunn can get back on the park over the next few weeks.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agree Beer Baron.

The win in the last minutes of the game showed the character of this young Brothers side but I wonder how much more their character can be tested. To my knowledge they have lost "Big Red", Francois Postal, Mafi, Adam Benny, Freney, Knoxy, & Sam Hyne for the season & now it looks like they will be without their hard working captain in Gendle with early reports of a broken ankle. There is still depth in the club but it is being strained & is taking its toll on what has been a great Prem Reserve side this year.

The loss of Gendle is massive for brothers IMO. Not just because he is one of the smartest and most consistent centres in the comp but his experience and presence is worth so much to the young brothers side. I believe he played his 180th Premier grade game on the weekend which is probably close to the combined total for the other 14 players in butchers strips.
They still look pretty good and I am sure Hugh Stitt will step up in his absence but they are big shoes to fill.

In news for uq it looks like Dave Mcduling is the latest heavie to try and ply his trade outside of qld after signing for the Sharks (Durban not the shire). A great club man for the past 5 years. Not only on the field (uq player of the year in 2011 and a vital cog in 2014 premierships for uni and bris City) but also off it like when he helped coach a premier colts premiership after suffering his first acl injury 2012. (Most of those colts now play along side him in premier grade).
We wish him well but he will be missed sorely at stade in the future.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Don't know how Gunny is going to shape up.

He is the type of guy who will do everything in his powers to get back onto the field - so fingers crossed.

Milo has been great for the Tigers this year but Gunn just provides some X factor.

Fingers crossed that Gunn can get back on the park over the next few weeks.

Gunn will return for the back end of club rugby but will likely miss the NRC with a shoulder injury suffered in Italy. The surgery will see him out for at least 4 months won't be in any rush to return.

Brothers will have a boost as it is expected that Karmichael Hunt will align himself to the Brethren

Status
Not open for further replies.