• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I doubt they would be allowed to play this Saturday.

I thought that under the player's union agreement that they had to have a week off after Super Rugby - which would mean that they can't play until the 2nd week of the finals.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hi folks. I came across this Player Payment Agreement recently. As I read it, this essentially sets a payments cap of $50k per club for premier rugby players not contracted with the ARU under RUPA's pro player collective bargaining provisions.

Presumably this allows for match payments of a few hundred bucks a week, on average, for say 20 players in a club. Can anyone shed any light on how much take-up of this exists within the QPR competiton? i.e. Do clubs currently pay their premier "community rugby" players? – and how many clubs?

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi folks. I came across this Player Payment Agreement recently. As I read it, this essentially sets a payments cap of $50k per club for premier rugby players not contracted with the ARU under RUPA's pro player collective bargaining provisions.

Presumably this allows for match payments of a few hundred bucks a week, on average, for say 20 players in a club. Can anyone shed any light on how much take-up of this exists within the QPR competiton? i.e. Do clubs currently pay their premier "community rugby" players? – and how many clubs?

Wow, this will have players looking sideways at their team mates! The general line put out there is clubs are NOT allowed to provide any benefit or payments to players as it will affect their ARU/QRU funding. I guess not.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Do clubs currently pay their premier "community rugby" players? – and how many clubs?

The clubs had to answer this question in 2013 as part of funding discussions with ARU/QRU.

They revealed that Norths (cash), Souths(cash) and GPS(cash and use of cars) were the only ones who had provided any payments.

Was surprised at the time that Sunnybank hadn't paid anyone given their strong financial position.

UQ and Bond disclosed that their universities had provided scholarships that covered payment of academic fees but no cash.

Some UQ and Bond players continue to get scholarships through their respective universities obviously.

Have heard that Bond also provide petrol cards to cover some player's costs of getting down Coast.

Have also heard that Norths have been paying some match payments this year?

Sydney clubs do pay match payments and cover accommodation costs for some players moving to Sydney.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
These are the items that are counted as assessable within the $50000
  • Provision of a wage or salary
  • Provision of match payments
  • Provision of any other financial benefit to play Rugby at the club
  • Provision of housing or accommodation
  • Provision of a motor vehicle
  • Provision of an education scholarship
  • Provision of employment in lieu of playing at the club
  • Reimbursement of travel expenses incurred by players and officials
  • Provision of any other material benefit to play Rugby at the club
Not sure about any clubs that pay players a wage, however I've heard some clubs pay match & win payments that sound minimal. I spoke to some people at Bond who stated as much. Not sure about other clubs. Surprised to hear Sunnybank don't offer cash payments, but I'm sure they've given out fuel vouchers and paid for accommodation before as a lure.
Clubs that provide scholarships are counted on a yearly basis by how much is provided by related club input, so the UQ Rugby scholarship and Halley Appleby Scholarship both count towards that cap as UQ Rugby Club or Foundation put money into it.
I've heard of most clubs also reimbursing players small amounts for training times, and paying for missed work, travel and some relocation expenses to make sure that they are able to play in Brisbane, which I believe is fair enough to keep some sort of parity in the competition.
Also any player with a QRU professional contract (which includes NRC) is unable to receive any assessable benefit from a club, however club fees, club gear and free access to facilities is allowed.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Gents My understanding is that there is little to no money changing hands in QPR in brisbane.

The Bank are paying fees for a lot of players from Prems to 16"s
Souths are not paying anyone
Both Bond and UQ are offering some pretty enticing Scholarship opportunities based around forgiveness of Uni debts

The facts are most boys are doing it for the love of the game or potential opportunities at whether it be Super Rugby, Japan or Europe.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gents My understanding is that there is little to no money changing hands in QPR in brisbane.

The Bank are paying fees for a lot of players from Prems to 16"s
Souths are not paying anyone
Both Bond and UQ are offering some pretty enticing Scholarship opportunities based around forgiveness of Uni debts

The facts are most boys are doing it for the love of the game or potential opportunities at whether it be Super Rugby, Japan or Europe.

Happyman - Are you possibly a nervous Board member from a 'non paying' Premier club?;)

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Happyman - Are you possibly a nervous Board member from a 'non paying' Premier club?;)

No mate just guy who listens to people talk and knows how hard the guys at all Grassroots work do put on a great level of game with no funds. The Reds could learn from them. I will actually be at the UQ game this weekend as I reckon it will be the game of the round. I think GPS will probably give the UQ boys a run for their money this weekend and could well make it interesting going forward.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
All good. Like as everyone else has said most benefits aren't of monetary incentives but to make sure that players are able to continue to play rugby at a high standard in QPR by subsidising certain costs to players who commit to playing Premier Grade.

I think a lot of people don't realise how much time and effort these players put into our game for their love of it, and should be congratulated for sacrificing much of their own work and personal lives to make community rugby in Brisbane so enjoyable.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
All good. Like as everyone else has said most benefits aren't of monetary incentives but to make sure that players are able to continue to play rugby at a high standard in QPR
Heh. If this had happened 110 years ago there might've been no State of Origin game last night. The distinction between high-level amateur and low-level pro barely exists, I'd say. The QRL was called the Queensland Amateur Rugby Football League for a long while, after all. :)

Yeah, $50k per club is a small number (and it's probably good to keep it small). I'd reckon QPR – at least as it was a few years ago – could be viewed as a low-level pro competition. Anecdotally, maybe it's dropping away to being more "lillywhite" amatuer now. Hard to call without seeing financial reports.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow, this will have players looking sideways at their team mates! The general line put out there is clubs are NOT allowed to provide any benefit or payments to players as it will affect their ARU/QRU funding. I guess not.

What ARU/QRU funding? As I understand it the money flows the other way these days.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
These are the items that are counted as assessable within the $50000
  • Provision of a wage or salary
  • Provision of match payments
  • Provision of any other financial benefit to play Rugby at the club
  • Provision of housing or accommodation
  • Provision of a motor vehicle
  • Provision of an education scholarship
  • Provision of employment in lieu of playing at the club
  • Reimbursement of travel expenses incurred by players and officials
  • Provision of any other material benefit to play Rugby at the club
Not sure about any clubs that pay players a wage, however I've heard some clubs pay match & win payments that sound minimal. I spoke to some people at Bond who stated as much. Not sure about other clubs. Surprised to hear Sunnybank don't offer cash payments, but I'm sure they've given out fuel vouchers and paid for accommodation before as a lure.
Clubs that provide scholarships are counted on a yearly basis by how much is provided by related club input, so the UQ Rugby scholarship and Halley Appleby Scholarship both count towards that cap as UQ Rugby Club or Foundation put money into it.
I've heard of most clubs also reimbursing players small amounts for training times, and paying for missed work, travel and some relocation expenses to make sure that they are able to play in Brisbane, which I believe is fair enough to keep some sort of parity in the competition.
Also any player with a QRU professional contract (which includes NRC) is unable to receive any assessable benefit from a club, however club fees, club gear and free access to facilities is allowed.

I also thought that players weren't paid to play NRC??

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Filth are you confident that your lads will play in the majors or does the Tigers recent form scare you.

The Magpies will be cheering on their Southside rivals this Saturday, as Sunnybank fans will be cheering on Uni.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Hi Guys

I heard a rumour that the QRU are not going to let any Reds players turn out for clubs the next week two weeks does anyone know if this is true.

Surely not.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
$50k!? how about we irrigate the all the fields instead so I can go a week without my knees and elbows being ruined.

Also, I can't wait for the rowdy crowd at Bottomley Park with the final game of the season old boys day and against the filth! All women and children should stay well clear of the beer garden end of the grandstand.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hi Guys

I heard a rumour that the QRU are not going to let any Reds players turn out for clubs the next week two weeks does anyone know if this is true.

Surely not.

I have heard similar, I think its part of the RUPA deal that they must have 2 week break after super. Not sure what that means for the fringe players though.

Could be some tough choices if certain players only become available for the GF though.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
RH do you think Browning will turn out for you?

Or is he off to France immediately.

Obviously you should have Banks back for the major semi.

Is Scott Gale injured?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Filth are you confident that your lads will play in the majors or does the Tigers recent form scare you.

The Magpies will be cheering on their Southside rivals this Saturday, as Sunnybank fans will be cheering on Uni.

Hi Bulldog. There's no denying that Brothers are in for a tough battle at Bottemley Park today. Easts are well and truly on their A game. All Brothers need apparently is a BP in order to stay in front of Souths.

Status
Not open for further replies.