• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Coaching 2017
I would think the following:

Wests ???
GPS ???
Souths - no change
Easts - no change
Norths - no change
Uni - no change
Snbk - ???
Bond - no change
Bros - no change

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Damon Virtue will take over at Sunnybank. He's had good success with their Colts and 7's program. Think he will do a great job as he has a good rugby brain and can relate to the players.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the QRU:

University of Queensland v Brothers
Kick-off: 3:05PM

The BLK Queensland Premier Rugby major semi-final will see traditional rivals, University of Queensland and Brothers, go head-to-head at Ballymore. University’s season is not dissimilar to 2010, when, after dropping their first game they went undefeated throughout the remainder of the season to win the Hospital Cup for the first time in 20 years. This year, they’ve knocked off Brothers on both occasions, including a 47-35 victory at Crosby Park in a match that featured 12 tries. More recently, UQ registered their 15th win in-a-row with a clinical 31-14 performance over GPS.

Brothers are on a win-streak of their own, overcoming tough conditions and a determined Easts outfit in the final round for their fourth win on-the-trot. The Brethren are one of two sides to put more than 30 points on University in 2016 and with leading Premier Rugby try-scorer Mitch Felsman on the Wing, they’ll back themselves to do it again.

But, in Tom Pincus, UQ have a point-scoring machine of their own. The winger has notched up 156 points in 2016 at an average of 12 points per match. The Heavies’ goal kicker has been in exceptional form, rarely missing the uprights. Remember, it was Pincus who guided University to their last premiership with a long-range penalty-goal after the siren in 2014.

University of Queensland: Pat Fepuleai, Tonga Ma’afu, Hamish Richardson, Pat Morrey, Phil Potgieter, Conor Mitchell, Jack de Guingand, Jack Cornelsen, Scott Gale, James Dalgleish, Jock Campbell, Nathan Russell, Josh Birch, Tom Pincus, Tom Banks

Coach: Mick Heenan

Brothers: Francois Postale, Matt Mafi, Taniela Tupou, Ted Postale, Dave Finlay-Heneway, Criff Tupou, Charles Freney, Luke Beauchamp, Angus Fowler, Stefano Hunt, George Partidge, Nathanuel Gendle, Elih Baillie, Mitch Felsman, Patrick James

Coach: Carl Marshall

Souths v Sunnybank
Kick-off: 5:05pm

In the minor semi-final, Souths and Sunnybank will tussle for a place in the preliminary final. Third-placed Souths have finished one better in 2016 and should use last years’ experience as the building blocks for this campaign. In 2015, the Magpies snuck into the finals in the last round and won all three of their knockout matches to win their first Hospital Cup in 15 years.

Souths’ place in the 2015 finals came at Sunnybank’s expense, so the Dragons will be happy to be back playing finals footy. The Dragons last featured in the finals in 2014, where they narrowly went down to University after the siren in the grand final. Sunnybank will now have to string three wins together for the first time since they knocked off Bond, Wests, Easts and Norths earlier in the year. They’ve struggled for consistency in the back-half of the season, but the bye in the last round of competition could prove beneficial for the team.

Souths defeated Norths 26-5 in their last match, which should give them confidence heading into the finals. It was only the second time in 2016 that the Magpies have held a team to less than 10 points. Souths will also draw confidence from their two hit-outs with Sunnybank this year, where a one-point victory in Round 2 was followed by a 19-10 win in Round 11.

Souths: Markus Vanzati, Alex Casey, Paulo Leleisiuao, Matt Bennett, Bruce Williamson, Simana Halaifonua, Anton Minenko, Isireli Naisarani, Scott Malolua, Teti Tela, Mika Tela, Paul Brown, Levi Aumua, Keeghan Sefton, Semeti Tela

Coach: Brett Picone

Sunnybank: Feao Fotuaika, Moli Sooaemalelagi, Tereina McLean, Brendan Mitchell, Tuaina Tualima, George Blomfield, Chazz Mahina, Jeffrey Faamausili, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Jake Strachan, Jason Beeton, Fred Dorrough, Conrad Quick, Joshua Edmond, Joshua Bowen-Bowyer

Coach: Rob Seib

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Coaching 2017
I would think the following:

Wests ???
GPS ???
Souths - no change
Easts - no change
Norths - no change
Uni - no change
Snbk - ???
Bond - no change
Bros - no change

Hi People,
No need in speculating on the Souths Coaching positon for 2017.

I can advise that nothing is changing end of story people.

Awesome news camo... so the bullies at the qru wont get there way.. picone has done a great job gelling players and combining old heads with new players... developing culture and well supported by some outstanding assistances... maybe GPS might be well served to look at this model ... wait a minute did they have that a couple of years ago...lol... easts heading in the right direction with connellan but might need to rethink the extended staff over there ... norths the change has been good at all levels... wests well i think byron stays but might need to bring in some support and changes at board level to move the playing group forward... bond well say no more ...

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Awesome news camo. so the bullies at the qru wont get there way.. picone has done a great job gelling players and combining old heads with new players. developing culture and well supported by some outstanding assistances. maybe GPS might be well served to look at this model . wait a minute did they have that a couple of years ago.lol. easts heading in the right direction with connellan but might need to rethink the extended staff over there . norths the change has been good at all levels. wests well i think byron stays but might need to bring in some support and changes at board level to move the playing group forward. bond well say no more .

Realdeal - mate I think that at most clubs the Board appoints the Coach rather than the other way round. And for the record the Board at Wests has done a great job - the deal at Sylvan Road will be the eveny of most other clubs in QPR in due course. I don't think Byron will be telling the Board what to do at Wests but thanks for the advice.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Bulldog what n the heck are you guys building on Sylvan Rd?? Bloody Empire State Building part 2?

Drove past yesterday... Very impressive. Hopefully 2017 will be a better year for u guys. Need a strong comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Bloody hell! Souths, last year's premiers ... GONE!

Sunnybank v Uni Preliminary final next week ... what an AMAZING OUTCOME!

Brothers ... Grand Final time .... who woulda thunk it?

Would never have predicted this ... obviously the sign of a very healthy competition.

Long live Prem Rugby.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Ahhh well at least I got one tip right out of the two.
Great effort tonight Brothers!! First time into the GF for a very long while. Let's hope to repeat 2009. THE TONGAN THOR!!

Bad luck to Uni today. Still a very good side. Sunnybank will have to play the best to beat the Students.

I missed a bit of the first half and watched the replay of the game via Reds Rugby. The commentary in that game was just disgraceful!! Overly critical of Brothers and the referees (who did a good job), and just couldn't bare the fact that Brothers won, and were the better team. Really disappointing.

Bring back RugbyReg to the live stream!!

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^^

On the commentary, thought Peter Mears was ok, however the other guy what a whacker. If I hear Kingsmen one more time.... There are other teams that can play good rugby fella. In the end it was Uni's ill discipline that cost them momentum, not HIS (the commentator in question) interpretation of the ruck rules. Well done ref!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd also love him to use players real names. Tongan Thor is not his name, the kid isn't a gimmick he looks like the real deal so show him some respect.

Well done to Sunnybank and the Filth today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ian Cameron

Frank Row (1)
Congratulations to the Sunnybank Premier Team, Coach Rod Seib & their Supporters on their performance yesterday they fully deserved their win and good luck next week when you take on University that should be a very interesting game.

Albeit I and others was very amused to see Nic Berry as the Referee of a Souths v Sunnybank but he did a good job and there are no excuses on Souths behalf whatsoever.

It is very pleasing to see former players taking up the vocation of Refereeing which can be a very unpopular task at times and still contributing to the game of Rugby. And to see an extremely fit Referee who can actually can keep up with a game is also a pleasant surprise.

Souths gave it everything yesterday but we were off the pace in some facets of the game, but on a whole you Souths boys can and should hold your heads high as you made the final 4 again and have had a very good season but sadly we were a bit off yesterday and Sunnybank capitalised on our mistakes.

You have had some very good performances throughout the year especially to be the only team to beat a very strong University side in the regular season until Brothers also got them last night in the Major Semi.

I think we all should Congratulate and acknowledge the Brothers Rugby Club on their dominate and outstanding results that they achieved over the weekend as a Club and the very strong season they have had across all Grades and Colts teams.

I am convinced that the Team the will win the Premiership this year will be the one that wants it the most and I think that will be Brothers from what I have seen so far especially on last nights performance it doesn’t have to be pretty just effective and effective enough to get the win.

Good luck to all the teams that are still alive in the Finals and to the ones that lost including the Brumbies over the weekend the sun will come up tomorrow morning as it did yesterday!!

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Well said Ian. You are always the voice of reason. What a great weekend of rugby it was at Ballymore. Some really attractive work by all teams. I only got out for the Prems yesterday but Congrats to both Sunnybank and Brothers for going through. I think I speak for most people when I say it was certainly more enjoyable than what there Reds dished up this year.

I agree having a Ref who was so clearly aligned with Sunnybank is not a good look but Souths probably only have themselves to blame for their demise.

The QRU's organisation was honestly poor with no food available on Saturday, Sunday was better with some food vans onsite. The Drinks prices at $7 per beer is something to be looked at. And although I am not a smoker chatting to some mates behind the Hill who had moved 20 metres away from anyone being told to smoke outside the stadium was silly they just need a smokers area.

Those are minor gripes on what was an truly enjoyable weekend of Rugby I am sure all would suggest any true rugby fan should get out to Ballymore over the next two weeks for some great entertainment.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes it was poor on Saturday with the only food available after about 12 noon was a lukewarm pie. $10 for a pie and a Powerade or $11.50 for a pie and a beer. No parking attendants either day. Must be really bad at QRU with the acting CEO needed to serve beers in the can shop on Saturday. He also struggled to work out the price of a pie and a beer and the change needed from a $20 note. Ooops!!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
It was interesting to see Tupou on the wing in defence. Not often you see a THP fielding bombs then running it back in broken play splitting the line.

He's definitely the real deal. He gave Brothers' scrum the edge, always looked threatening ball in hand, scored a brilliant try and made another break where he was only just pulled down by a desperate chaser. Should wreak havoc in the NRC and it's only a matter of time until he does what he did to Uni's line to an opposition Super Rugby team.

More generally I thought Brothers deserved the win. It was pretty well balanced but Brothers just had a slight edge where it mattered. Probably helped by the cheer squad - I was sitting next to the Brothers contingent on the far side and they gave the Uni players hell, sledges Warnie would be proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.