• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Is the issue that they charged for the finals or that they aren't charging for the NRC?

They've charged for the NRC in years gone by and crowds haven't been great, I think that's why this season they're offering it for free and out to the clubs.

It's Tribalism/Family (Club rugby) V a marketing product pathway (NRC). The Braintrust needs to rethink this as to me as its all mish mash, when a club has players in country and city who do you follow and barrack for? I think the numbers are telling me neither.
I agree we need this step in between Super and club, but it needs to be more aligned with the clubs and players picked from those clubs play for the region the club is aligned to, so people can get in behind and support it

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It's Tribalism/Family (Club rugby) V a marketing product pathway (NRC). The Braintrust needs to rethink this as to me as its all mish mash, when a club has players in country and city who do you follow and barrack for? I think the numbers are telling me neither.
I agree we need this step in between Super and club, but it needs to be more aligned with the clubs and players picked from those clubs play for the region the club is aligned to, so people can get in behind and support it
Maybe just continue the old met West and met east :D

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Basic promotion and marketing. Nrc is a new content piece (one I think personally think is excellent and produces superior rugby than club) but has struggled to draw significant crowds.

So they're 'sampling' it to drive new people to it. Ever seen those people giving away free food samples at woolies or Coles? That's what this is.

Club rugby has been around for years. It doesn't need that edge - it has some perceived value.

Plus Ballymore does actually cost money to run. QRU need to make that money somehow. How do you suggest they do that?

Reg there were more security & gate staff at Ballymore early on the Saturday's during the finals than there were spectators - you don't have to be a genius to realise that the QRU were paying more per hour for the staff than they were getting through the gate takings.

That's my beef why charge rugby people simply going out to watch their son, grandson or sibling play in a lower grade final - it just perceived as another money grab by pro rugby in Aust from the grassroots.

It just seems strange that you pay to watch colts 3 at Ballymore but then you go watch the NRC at Ballymore for nothing.

That's all.

But he's a tip for Ballymore - less security staff and more bar staff please!

James Small

Bob McCowan (2)
It would be great if we could do the same with Premier Rugby that Shute Shield has done. I agree that free to air is a key component. See Fitzsimon's article.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...rugby-are-in-great-shape-20170830-gy7e6n.html

Amen Peter Fitzsimons!

Sounds like some of our top rugby players have adopted the same attitude as our cricketers. How is that 6 players (that I know of) namely; Taniela Tupou, Moses Sorovi, Adam Korczyk, James Tuttle and Nick Frisby and Sef Fagaase can come back and play for their clubs and the others don't. Have they forgotten their roots or am I missing something? Well done to these guys!

Great to see Berrick Barnes on Kick and Chase a couple of weeks ago out in the country helping grow country rugby.

A great opportunity has just presented itself with CBS taking control of Channel 10. Sorry Channel 7 and ABC. I know that you have done some great work with grassroots rugby. CBS is flushed with cash and know how to promote sport. Just look at what they have done with the MLB (baseball). For those techno freaks check out https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/major-league-baseball-mlbam/

No need to read the artcle just watch the video.

Why not hit them up to broadcast rugby on free to air and make this broadcast interesting. In turn they use this footage to promote rugby in the US.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Why not hit them up to broadcast rugby on free to air and make this broadcast interesting. In turn they use this footage to promote rugby in the US.

Just my 2 cents worth.[/quote]
And you know what, we need rugby on TV's on prime time slots on main channels. I would be saying here is your product, have it for free for 2 years and pump the shit out of it. Exposure to everyday life is what rugby needs and that could really help

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Giving credit where credit is due the QRU have done NRC quite well & that resulted in Bne City winning the first two titles, with sides that contained large numbers of QPR players.

The problem with the NRC is that there is just no sense/justification of allegiance/tribalism towards the two QLD teams - this is further complicated when players get shifted between the teams during the season and from season to season.

Country don't necessarily get the rub of the green with respect to player allocations either.

I would really love to see Qld Country do well this year.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Giving credit where credit is due the QRU have done NRC quite well & that resulted in Bne City winning the first two titles, with sides that contained large numbers of QPR players.

The problem with the NRC is that there is just no sense/justification of allegiance/tribalism towards the two QLD teams - this is further complicated when players get shifted between the teams during the season and from season to season.

Country don't necessarily get the rub of the green with respect to player allocations either.

I would really love to see Qld Country do well this year.
Are there any actual country players??like someone from the emus or rocky?? Not someone who played junior footy there. That would be a good interest generator

T

TOCC

Are there any actual country players??like someone from the emus or rocky?? Not someone who played junior footy there. That would be a good interest generator

I think they had a Townsville player or two in the initial season.. but ultimately it's a big ask for a Goondiwindi or Rocky player to move to Brisbane for 10 week on a tiny wage.. hopefully as the comp matures and wages increase it becomes more common

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think that they get paid to play NRC.

Reds contracted players - playing NRC is part of their contract obligations.

Non-contracted QPR/club players don't get paid to play.

That's how it was in the initial season of NRC.

T

TOCC

It's minimal match payments as far as I'm aware? Or a form of incidentals when they play away

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's fly in & fly out on the same day type travel also.

Might be fly over day before to Perth but then the red eye back after the game.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Gee looking at the Rams NRC game yesterday that was played at TG Millner (home ground of Eastswood) the QPR fields stack up pretty well - Sylvan Rd, UQ, even Bottomley this year looked in better shape at year's end than TG Millner which could best be described as a sand pit/dust bowl!!!!

It costs money to maintain playing surfaces and clearly some Sydney clubs are also feeling the pinch.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gee looking at the Rams NRC game yesterday that was played at TG Millner (home ground of Eastswood) the QPR fields stack up pretty well - Sylvan Rd, UQ, even Bottomley this year looked in better shape at year's end than TG Millner which could best be described as a sand pit/dust bowl!!!!

It costs money to maintain playing surfaces and clearly some Sydney clubs are also feeling the pinch.

The paddock reminded me of the kennel pre-rebuild.

T

TOCC

It would be easy to assume, that Wests have the best main oval, and club house/stand of any rugby club in australia at the moment.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
It would be easy to assume, that Wests have the best main oval, and club house/stand of any rugby club in australia at the moment.

Have you been to the Tuggeranong Vikings grounds and grandstand, and/or any of their four Clubhouses

T

TOCC

Yes, and they are obviously well developed, but Wests have set a new benchmark in the quality of club houses and main oval.

Vikings Licensed club doesn't really engage with the oval, its like Sunnybank Rugby, the licensed premise exists adjacent to the field but the priorities are elsewhere.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yes, and they are obviously well developed, but Wests have set a new benchmark in the quality of club houses and main oval.

Vikings Licensed club doesn't really engage with the oval, its like Sunnybank Rugby, the licensed premise exists adjacent to the field but the priorities are elsewhere.

The main ground is top class (hosts all the ACT finals series), was professionally resurfaced when the club bought the ground from the Council, is well cambered for draining and has a covered grandstand that is far superior to any field in Brisbane cub rugby - see photo at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Park#/media/File:Viking_Park_v2.jpg
The Erindale clubhouse sits on the opposite side to the grandstand and has interior comfortable viewing of the ground as well as catering and bars, and includes function rooms where the club can host other clubs after matches. In addition to the Erindale social clubhouse, there is a separate modern building solely for Rugby club administration. The financial model of the Incorporated Club certainly benefits from pokies but also from hosting other non Rugby sporting clubs resident in the Tuggeranong Valley - from which the Rugby club takes a direct profit off the top. The model has been so successful that the business side of the Vikings Rugby Union Incorporated club has been able to build and operate another three clubhouses in the Valley - all of which return a portion of profits back to the Rugby club.
Wests have built a great facility but the Tuggeranong Rugby main oval surface and lighting is just as good, plus it has the benefit of far superior spectator stands and the ground can cater for up to 8000 people. In my view, it set a benchmark which has yet to be surpassed by a Rugby Union club anywhere in Australia.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
^butthurt responses from Wests/parochial QPR fans about the new Jerusalem in 3-2-1.

Forgive us and our right to defend something after not having anything to defend for nearly a decade.

Premiers and Premier Colts both made it to the playoffs and we now have the 2nd best clubhouse in Australia on the serge rankings

Reactions: TSR
T

TOCC

The main ground is top class (hosts all the ACT finals series), was professionally resurfaced when the club bought the ground from the Council, is well cambered for draining and has a covered grandstand that is far superior to any field in Brisbane cub rugby - see photo t https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Park#/media/File:Viking_Park_v2.jpg
The Erindale clubhouse sits on the opposite side to the grandstand and has interior comfortable viewing of the ground as well as catering and bars, and includes function rooms where the club can host other clubs after matches. In addition to the Erindale social clubhouse, there is a separate modern building solely for Rugby club administration. The financial model of the Incorporated Club certainly benefits from pokies but also from hosting other non Rugby sporting clubs resident in the Tuggeranong Valley - from which the Rugby club takes a direct profit off the top. The model has been so successful that the business side of the Vikings Rugby Union Incorporated club has been able to build and operate another three clubhouses in the Valley - all of which return a portion of profits back to the Rugby club.
Wests have built a great facility but the Tuggeranong Rugby main oval surface and lighting is just as good, plus it has the benefit of far superior spectator stands and the ground can cater for up to 8000 people. In my view, it set a benchmark which has yet to be surpassed by a Rugby Union club anywhere in Australia.

As I said I have been there, so I'm aware of the stand that Viking Park has.
No one here is disputing that the business model of the Vikings is financially more lucrative then West or that the Vikings have more ovals.

But,I do believe, in terms of the quality of finish and the facilities offered, West's new club house offers more then the Viking Park Grand stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.