• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
No decision yet, but I would suggest that the club should drop back to senior first comp as I sure a lot more players will be going elsewhere

I would rather they get some super sides together and dominate the Prem Reserve and Prem Colts. Really take the decision away from the QRU.

When Sunnybank were admitted in the 80's they dominated Reserve grade for a year or two before their admission.

I appreciate that this post will be unpopular but the Saints need to earn the right through performance on the rugby pitch.

Reactions: gws

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would rather they get some super sides together and dominate the Prem Reserve and Prem Colts. Really take the decision away from the QRU.

When Sunnybank were admitted in the 80's they dominated Reserve grade for a year or two before their admission.

I appreciate that this post will be unpopular but the Saints need to earn the right through performance on the rugby pitch.
Given the above post re dwindling numbers, why Logan over other clubs?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What do you mean Beer Baron?

Do you mean why play for Logan if numbers are dwindling?

It would be great for a competitive Logan to be in QPR but just I really don't think there is much to be gained by being the whipping boys of QPR like they were in Prem Reserves this year.

I would love to see Logan and the Sunshine Coast being competitive participants in QPR but I really don't know how that will happen unless they can find their Bond University or some other White Knight.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What do you mean Beer Baron?

Do you mean why play for Logan if numbers are dwindling?

It would be great for a competitive Logan to be in QPR but just I really don't think there is much to be gained by being the whipping boys of QPR like they were in Prem Reserves this year.

I would love to see Logan and the Sunshine Coast being competitive participants in QPR but I really don't know how that will happen unless they can find their Bond University or some other White Knight.
In relation to new recruits post re Wynnum numbers.i was just wondering why Logan was the anointed club to be elevated and why not Ipswich or Wynnum.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wynnum would be stupid to elevate themselves into the Brisbane comp immediately. Sustaining their numbers over a few years would be the key before submitting any request to perhaps move into 1st Grade and below.
There is talk they may have 2 colts teams in 2018 and are aiming for 3 seniors teams again.

In saying the above - if the Queensland Suburban competition committee continues to be a dog breakfast then they may be left with no other option?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
In relation to new recruits post re Wynnum numbers.i was just wondering why Logan was the anointed club to be elevated and why not Ipswich or Wynnum.

They did a multi million dollar investment on new clubhouse at a new location with local govt funding on the assumption that Queensland premier rugby would be coming to one of Australia’s great football talent catchments (LOGAN CITY).

But obviously Queensland Rugby cares little about the Logan catchment area by this latest stunt. They’d rather just appease the powerbrokers at Sunnybank Rugby who were to be the biggest losers in Logan setting up shop in their premier rugby territory.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

The problem is Bulldog, whenever Logan have done well in any grade , there has always been a series of reasons found not to let them go through, and we are never going to dominate Prem reserves etc, because all the top players will just get poached, and don't blame them as they want a chance at playing Prem rugby, has happened for years, and will continue too. Hell the club that historically has not wanted us to be promoted have no fees for their u17s I believe, which is absolutley killing out junior rugby, and is I am sure one of the reasons for it..We have a good number of colts training at club for next year already (about 25-30), but we will probably struggle to hold them as lure of Prem club will draw them away now. We had a very good caoch and number of Prem players committed to returning to club, that has now all gone of course. There is absolutely no way these days you can field teams to dominate prem reserves, colts etc because players are looking at making a name for themselves to be NRC players etc and earn a $ or two out of game. We not in amateur era any longer, where players are there for the joy of playing. I honestly getting feeling this could almost be death knell of Logan as senior club, or the beginning of it, I know the Logan CC are beginning to ask it there much reason to be overly involved in aiding the game in Logan, and think that perhaps the proposed traing ground etc of Broncos will get quite some support from them

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I refuse to feel sorry for Logan.Yes the QRU are a shambles and should have provided more resources to Logan and yes the self interest of some Premier Clubs is counter-productive to the development of Premier Rugby however Logan as a club should take their share of responsibility for this.
Having been involved at Premier Rugby level and Suburban rugby level - not once did I ever go to Logan and think that this was a club fighting to develop themselves into a top QLD Rugby club (and yes certain club having no fee's for U17 teams kills it - but its not only Logan that his affects)

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have proposed this before but why can't we set up the South East Qld Premier Rugby competition containing Bond Reserve grade, Logan, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast, Wynnum and a couple of GC club sides?

Reds players could be aligned to either QPR or SEQPR sides, as they really don't play many club games now with NRC etc.

If Logan or any other team become dominate then they should be considered for elevation into QPR.

Let's also run a North QPR - teams from Townsville, Cairns, Mackay, Rocky, etc

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
We could also have another Qld NRC team.

QC (Quade Cooper) could have a greater country element based at Ballymore playing in truly regional locations, have a Gold Coast side based at Bond and Brisbane City.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have proposed this before but why can't we set up the South East Qld Premier Rugby competition containing Bond Reserve grade, Logan, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast, Wynnum and a couple of GC club sides?

Reds players could be aligned to either QPR or SEQPR sides, as they really don't play many club games now with NRC etc.

If Logan or any other team become dominate then they should be considered for elevation into QPR.

Let's also run a North QPR - teams from Townsville, Cairns, Mackay, Rocky, etc

I think that would be spreading Queensland rugby resources (of which there is currently no $$$) too thin. It's one thing to give a club a promotion into the Premier comp and the perks (increased playing numbers etc.) that comes with, but if you start giving the Premier Rugby tag to a whole different competition, or two competitions as you suggest, it will dilute the quality of players significantly. I'm all for expansion and helping clubs grow, but giving players so many options will cause the quality of competition to weaken across the board.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think that would be spreading Queensland rugby resources (of which there is currently no $$$) too thin. It's one thing to give a club a promotion into the Premier comp and the perks (increased playing numbers etc.) that comes with, but if you start giving the Premier Rugby tag to a whole different competition, or two competitions as you suggest, it will dilute the quality of players significantly. I'm all for expansion and helping clubs grow, but giving players so many options will cause the quality of competition to weaken across the board.

Points well made Big Dog.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ed Fidow has signed with Bordeaux.
f55bf64c088a4d0402def35547cb7c53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Congratulations to Ed. Well deserved.

Big loss for the bulldogs & qld rugby. He definitely put on a clinic in qld premier rugby and then a even more impressive performance in the NRC. Sky is the limit for this kid.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Congratulations to Ed. Well deserved.

Big loss for the bulldogs & qld rugby. He definitely put on a clinic in qld premier rugby and then a even more impressive performance in the NRC. Sky is the limit for this kid.

Medical jokers in France are just a short term player to cover for injuries while the French test players are on international duty. Ed Fidow may well use it as a showcase for other clubs or he might come back, it's not necessarily meaning he is lost to Qld, just getting a good payout while it is available.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Has Anyone heard anything further on the Logan thing. It seems to have gone quiet. What grades do they plan on having next year and just as importantly how will it affect the other clubs.

For my two cents Logan is a poor choice for expansion. Any plans for expansion should be something like Albany Creek/Caboolture/ North Lakes or an Ipswich if they had the ambition. Geographically Logan are too close to the Bank.

The Northern fringe of Brisbane is just ripe for another club geographically the most northern premier club in Brisbane is Norths which is hardly on the northern fringe of the city.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Logan would have been a great option for expansion a few years ago. Unfortunately it’s not the case now.

In terms of being too close to the Bank I think that’s ridiculous. They are in a growing area of south east Qld and have a huge catchment. The best thing they could do to be included is to get funding for a DO who can get into schools and recruit players for the Colts program. Currently there is a huge area that has just been left to league to pillage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

IMO best thing Logan could do is to somehow partner with Griffith along the same fashion as Bond and UQ. They may lose some of their individuality, but premier rugby costs money and Griffith have the resources to compete.

It wouldn’t be completely outrageous, Griffiths catchment is Brisbane to Gold Coast, Logan is halfway between their two main campuses and they have a Logan Campus.

Griffith had displayed an increasing interest to venture into the sporting market with the Uni7s teams and sponsorship of the Reds a couple of years back.

QRU just need to make it appetising for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting situation for the Reds & the Tigers in 2018 with the selection of Liam Wright on the Wallaby tour?

What do they do with Michael Gunn?

Easier for the Tigers who will accomodate both in their best XV you would imagine.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hope that Ed will be back at the Kennell in 2018 after his stint as a joker!!

You would think that if he gets some decent game time that he'll get more offers in Europe but I just hope he wants to play Super Rugby for the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.