• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree about the great try he scored, but I also noticed the tackles he missed, or didn't seem to really attempt. He may of been out of touch with his first run with team , but I was only commenting on what I saw yesterday. I thought Magpies had a bloody good backline, and on what I saw he looked like a bloody good impact bench player, that's not to say that he wouldn't make a great starter, just not on what I saw yesterday.

legaleagle

Herbert Moran (7)
Great win by the Gallopers on the weekend, with our forwards really dominating the Eagles pack. Norths were never really in the hunt going into the break down 19-0. TBH Norths looked pretty soft up front and were not helped by the fact that their prop seemed intent on getting sent off which he eventually did. King and Richards were great and it was awesome to see them bounce back after the bye with a solid win. Don't see much joy over at Shaw Rd. Once again their 13 was very strong and Vuki their winger the only bright sparks in a pretty underwhelming performance. Going to be a great match up this weekend v the Doggies for the Taylor Hammond Cup.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Eto was on earlier than expected yesterday, with the injury to Quade. He hasn't had much game time in the last few weeks since being left out of the Reds match 23. Looking forward to seeing him develop into the the Magpie structure.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Eto was on earlier than expected yesterday, with the injury to Quade. He hasn't had much game time in the last few weeks since being left out of the Reds match 23. Looking forward to seeing him develop into the the Magpie structure.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’m honestly happy to see his playing club rugby. I never remember seeing his name once for the mighty gallopers.

I know he is off after the season to France but if he is not factoring info the matchday 23 whilst collecting a salary from the reds then he and every other player not partaking in super rugby should be helping out grassroots footy.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Great win by the Gallopers on the weekend, with our forwards really dominating the Eagles pack. Norths were never really in the hunt going into the break down 19-0. TBH Norths looked pretty soft up front and were not helped by the fact that their prop seemed intent on getting sent off which he eventually did. King and Richards were great and it was awesome to see them bounce back after the bye with a solid win. Don't see much joy over at Shaw Rd. Once again their 13 was very strong and Vuki their winger the only bright sparks in a pretty underwhelming performance. Going to be a great match up this weekend v the Doggies for the Taylor Hammond Cup.

If you have another look Norths were actually fairly dominant in the first 15minutes and bombed four tries - combined with all the lineouts and scrums they turned over they never recovered. Their winger was electric they did not link to him like in other games. GPS pack did extremely well. Their 13 Chittenden was best on ground for mine - if they had Duncan and Hewett it could well have been a different story.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I’m honestly happy to see his playing club rugby. I never remember seeing his name once for the mighty gallopers.

I know he is off after the season to France but if he is not factoring info the matchday 23 whilst collecting a salary from the reds then he and every other player not partaking in super rugby should be helping out grassroots footy.
It's a shame he has gone to South's however. He has no allegiance to any club. I think this where QRU should step in, in the interests of competitiveness and make him choose from a,b or C. South's backline will be scary come finals time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It's a shame he has gone to South's however. He has no allegiance to any club. I think this where QRU should step in, in the interests of competitiveness and make him choose from a,b or C. South's backline will be scary come finals time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

But agree - seeing as he is contracted to QRU - thought they could have allocated him somewhere else.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I heard he contacted Souths and asked if he could join (Fijian Connection) - can't turn down players of that quality.

GPS & Souths have always had a bit of tic for tac when it comes to recruiting.

The Faaingas brothers who were once upon a time linked with Souths just suddenly packed up one year and made the switch from Chipsey to Yoku.

Then you've had Kerevi and now Nabuli going from the Gallopers to the Magpies.

I believe there is some agent associated with the souths coaching staff who was instrumental in recruiting some of the GPS boys. I don't know the full backstory but it's somewhere here on the GAGR forums in one of the old qld premier threads.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
GPS & Souths have always had a bit of tic for tac when it comes to recruiting.

The Faaingas brothers who were once upon a time linked with Souths just suddenly packed up one year and made the switch from Chipsey to Yoku.

Then you've had Kerevi and now Nabuli going from the Gallopers to the Magpies.

I believe there is some agent associated with the souths coaching staff who was instrumental in recruiting some of the GPS boys. I don't know the full backstory but it's somewhere here on the GAGR forums in one of the old qld premier threads.

Hasn't some of the coaching staff at Souths previously been at GPS or am I way off the money there?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Hasn't some of the coaching staff at Souths previously been at GPS or am I way off the money there?

yeah thats what i was alluding too.. but i also believe one of the coaches is also a player agent. i could be wrong but thats what i remember from the previous premier rugby threads.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Brett Picone & Elia Tuqiri moved from GPS to Souths in 2015.

And in 2016/17 Moses Rualini joined them to add to the Fijian flavour at Yeronga.

So they have strong GPS & Fijian background at present.

Good luck to them they have put together a very strong squad it's now up to the other clubs to lift to their level if they want to challenge for the Hospitals Cup in 2018.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ah you gotta love Souths don’t ya! Well I think West’s game proves one thing; they are beatable and it will happen. However, I think in two weeks time we will get an answer on how invincible they really are.

I’m still on the Jeeps being the benchmark team and we will have to watch n wait till all the rounds are play.

Any of the top 7 teams can knock any of the “best” teams on their day; that’s how close the competition is this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
That 14 for Souths has just been electric, would be a shame if Nabuli punts him or Ngamanu to the bench, and I can't see the 15 being dropped. Unless Quade is out for a while.

Yeah he’s good, with clear space; has wonderful speed and knows how to score.

On the Doughty shield, I think it is a race of 3; Brothers, Souths and West’s; willing to call UQ out of it early. However I do have a 25% success rate, so I suppose anything can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Congrats to my Bulldogs.

Can't remember the last time they would of got wins in Colts 1, 2nd and 1st Grade vs the Gallopers.

GPS has historically been a bit of kryptonite green for the bulldogs (especially at Yoku) but a flogging in Colts, A close win in 2nd grade and a come from behind win in 1st grade was the perfect way to spend my Saturday afternoon.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well said SX.

Note 4/4 in the tips for me!!! I will hang up the tipsters pen for 2018 now.

Table incredibly tight after 6 rounds

1 Souths 22*
2 GPS 15 *
3 Uni 15*
4 Easts 14*
5 Snbk 14
6 Wests 11*
7 Bros 10
8 Norths 7*
9 Bond 6

Wests nicely positioned on the table.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does the Bunter Bowl only get contested when the holder plays at home?

Are Easts the current holder? Would just like a crack at it at home v Easts in two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.