• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
There’s a Facebook event created by GPS Rugby stating that The gallopers will be challenging for the bunter bowl and the Smith twins have approval from QRU to play

J

JeepsTragic

Does anybody know if Tom Kibble is going to be allowed to play for GPS this weekend given he was passed over for the opening match in the Under 20's. He wasn't listed on the bench either.

I know I am biased but I would have Gicquel and Kibble over McReight and Wilson (who were picked in the opening game) every day of the week. Gicquel is by far the best open side flanker in Brisbane even when Reds players return to the comp. It bewilders me that he cannot get a look in.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Does anybody know if Tom Kibble is going to be allowed to play for GPS this weekend given he was passed over for the opening match in the Under 20's. He wasn't listed on the bench either.

I know I am biased but I would have Gicquel and Kibble over McReight and Wilson (who were picked in the opening game) every day of the week. Gicquel is by far the best open side flanker in Brisbane even when Reds players return to the comp. It bewilders me that he cannot get a look in.

Strongly agree that Gicquel was easily the best open side flanker going round last year, however he has not come through the much vaunted (but in my view overated) Australian schoolboy - U20s pathway. Kids and young men playing only or predominantly against kids and young men can look good, however I much prefer the guy who played his recent years of Rugby with and against hardened men in open men's competitions - and stood out as Gicquel has done. He was great with the actual Qld Country side a couple of years ago (The Heelers) out-played all his opposition 7s in every game last year and was the player of the Grand Final.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)

Yeah you are being biased. Cannot fault McReight and Wilson this year. Have been the backbone of why Brothers is leading the competition to date. They both have speed to the ball and speed of mind when at the ball and have some of the better open running in the comp to date imho. So I suppose other people who are the selectors also agree with their selection. Probably last years performances don't count as much as current form on the park.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Don't think Gicquel is still U20, saw him playing Colts a few years ago now.

Agree though , he was a stand out last year , MOM in the GF , haven't seen him play this year.

J

JeepsTragic

Yeah you are being biased. Cannot fault McReight and Wilson this year. Have been the backbone of why Brothers is leading the competition to date. They both have speed to the ball and speed of mind when at the ball and have some of the better open running in the comp to date imho. So I suppose other people who are the selectors also agree with their selection. Probably last years performances don't count as much as current form on the park.

All well and good to say that based on 4 games, but last year head to head, Gicquel and Kibble were clear winners. Daylight was second. I'm not taking anything away from the Brothers boys, but they did not match up last year. Its not always the best players who get selected or should I say contracts. Should be lots of fun in Round 8 when the filth come to Yoku Road. Lets hope that all 4 get a chance to pit themselves against each other.

J

JeepsTragic

Don't think Gicquel is still U20, saw him playing Colts a few years ago now.

Agree though , he was a stand out last year , MOM in the GF , haven't seen him play this year.

Your right, I think Gicquel is about 23 but McReight got the Reds contract ahead of him. I'm not bagging Mcreight - he is a good player but based on what I have seen, Gicquel is better. He is the standout open side flanker in Brisbane club rugby. I suppose the reasoning is that he is considered to be too small to be a professional player

Reactions: vac

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I see JP Smith officially named as starting for GPS this weekend which is a huge bonus for them. No mention of Ruan.

Lots of good quality 9's and 10's down there at the moment. I see Davis Tavita named starting flyhalf again.

J

JeepsTragic

I see JP Smith officially named as starting for GPS this weekend which is a huge bonus for them. No mention of Ruan.

Lots of good quality 9's and 10's down there at the moment. I see Davis Tavita named starting flyhalf again.

More important is Freddie Burke back in the front row. I think they have been missing him. And Mitch King back at No. 8. Now there is another guy who deserved more representative honours. Its probably our strongest starting pack since the GF last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 5 matches and team lists as follows:

GPS v Wests, Yoku Road, 3:20pm (Game of the Round)

GPS: JP Smith, Maile Ngauamo, Fred Burke, Tuaina Tualima, Dan Gorman, Michael Richards,
Matt Gicquel, Mitch King, Jordan Lenac, Davis Tavita, Jonathan Kent, Alfonso Horomia, Maaloga Konelio, Pat Nicholson, Albert Nikoro

Coach: Elwee Prinsloo

Wests: Misioka Timoteo, Efi Ma’afu, Ausetalia Vaiomanu, Ray Holani, Rob Puli’uvea, Jerry Lynch, Connor Anderson, Emmanuel Maliko, Liam Dillon, Carter Gordon, Fred Keil, Isaac Henry, Hunter Paisami, Paul Ah Him, Cooper Whiteside

Coach: Pat Byron

Norths v University of Queensland, Hugh Courtney Oval, 3:20pm

Norths: Tonga Ma’afu, Cody Blackhurst, Wilson Enoka, Michael Jones, Malik Pataanga, Stone Kolio, Jordan Tuapou, Apisai Naiyabo, Liam Prendergast, Matt McGahan, Veresa Mataitini, Douglas Rayment, Conor Chittenden, Jordan Luke, Nick Chapman

Coach: Luke Oxford

University of Queensland: Sam Mellor, Tom Mellor, Kris Nielsen, Tom Vaessen, Mitchell O’Hara, Adam Korczyk, Pat Morrey, Sam Wallis, Jacobus Van Eeden, James Dalgleish, William Morley, TJ Siakisini, Clifton Setu, Sam Dalgleish, Lachlan Sperling

Coach: Mick Heenan

Easts v Souths, David Wilson Field, 3:20pm

Easts: Carter Ozanne, Sam Richards, Rhys Van Nek, Aidan Leeming, Filimoni Seruvatu Koroivunilagi, Henry Olsen, Tom Milosevic, Seru Uru, Phoenix Hunt, Luke Everson, Liam Matenga, Matt Gordon, Landon Hayes, Riley Cooper, Shane Kennedy

Coach: Moses Rauluni

Souths: Clinton Malolua, Theo Fourie, Jake Simeon, Tom Lane, Jacob McKellar, Josateki Murray, Brad Kelegai, Sunia Finefeuiaki, Scott Malolua, Jake Strachan, Mika Tela, Teti Tela, Ralph Evalu, Abele Atunaisa, Jayden Ngamanu

Coach: Elia Tuqiri

Sunnybank v Brothers, Oldmac Oval, 3:20pm

Sunnybank: Andrew Pelepele Lemalu, Lloyd Gorman, Dee Anae, Fala Tuala, Longosai Ilangana, Christian Malaulau, Joel Brown, Dillon Wihongi, Neal McNamara, Hayden Sargaent, Ahmu Tuimalealifano, Tom Lucas, Larry Hermens, Peter Lee, Liam McNamara

Coach: Damon Virtue

Brothers: Garrath Ryan, Matt Faessler, Faatausili Lafaitele, Brad Kapa, Ryan Smith, Noah Neilsen, Henry Fitzgerald, Alex Perez, Reuben Wall, Rohan Saifoloi, Tristan Stanghorn, Pat James, Seb Wileman, George Partridge, Aidan Toua

Coach: Rod Seib

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
B3ED11D8-6618-4FD0-8E5E-9097F9735007.jpeg

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Was the score for Souths vs Easts indicative of the game?

GPS forwards were too good today!

Yes, probably went 5 minutes past full time as Easts had phase after phase trying to get away from their tryline. Good defence by Souths but their scrum struggled (2 penalty tries from scrums).

Status
Not open for further replies.