1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Discussion in 'Club Rugby' started by RugbyReg, Nov 15, 2018.

1. SouthernX Arch Winning (36)

Why not create a QPR 2020 thread.

Happy to join you there rather then beat this dead horse of QPR 2018
    RugbyReg likes this.
  2. Jets Tony Shaw (54)

I think we should spend a bit more time on how great life is when Uni win the comp, especially in a GF over the Filth. :)
  3. Red Heavy Billy Sheehan (19)

Interesting to see how much youth was on show.
    Faesller, McReight, Wilson, wall, roulston, flook, Creighton, wood, Tarabay
    Nasser, Hockings, Lillicrap, Wallis Mcdermortt, oates, twidale, paxton-hall, Van Eeden are all 21 and younger that I know off.

Pretty promising for both clubs and hopefully Qld rugby
  4. Red Heavy Billy Sheehan (19)

Might have been mentioned on here already but tip of the hat to Mick Heenan

Came to UQ 11 years ago. The club had spent the previous 2 seasons last or second last with only a handful of wins over both of those years.

In his first year we only narrowly missed the finals and since that he is 10 from 10 with making the finals, 7 from 10 with making the GF for 5 wins.
    Dusky W, RebelYell, Jets and 3 others like this.
  5. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

some superb young talent no doubt. But it's part of a trend over the last 10 years or so of the average age of the competition declining quite significantly.
  6. PhilClinton Sydney Middleton (9)

Whats your thoughts on this? I think it correlates with the increasing amount of contracts being offered to school based players as well as an increased number of age group representative teams, essentially pushing these youngster to higher honors earlier in their careers and increasing competition for spots at club level. Some of the old toilers who would probably have stuck around in past years realize the tide isn't going to stop rising and decide to hang up the boots.

I'm not saying it's harmful to the competition, but it is a very different outlook than as you say, 10 years ago. Back in the early 2000s I reckon majority of the GPS 1st grade team would have been late 20s, with a few pushing mid thirties. Back then the National Talent Squad based out of Ballymore for school based players only had 5-10 slots available and they weren't anything close to a full contract.
  7. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

I don't know. I'm not entirely sure that it's directly linked to that. I think its more a societal thing. I think work-life balance has become more skewiff. More competing activities for sport amongst those over 25 et al. And the fact that if anyone wants to make a 'career' out of rugby and they haven't got a Reds contract by 23/24??? then they probably have to up and look elsewhere.
    Jimmy_Crouch, Hound and Dusky W like this.
  8. dru Paul McLean (56)

As funds continue in scarcity and experienced players chase better opportunities overseas, in this situation a system that produces regular young talent is very good. So is an HC and a coaching squad with a proven ability to quickly push young talent to competitive levels.

It means that as times get tougher for pro rugby in Australia, the Reds at least should be as well placed as they can be to continue standards.

I like it. I might prefer more commercial success to the code to hold experience - but this is not a bad back up position to be in. It also suggests some realism and managerial drive.

I'm rarely slow to despondency, but I'm liking a lot of what I'm seeing right now.
  9. Red Heavy Billy Sheehan (19)

Just found out Jimmy Dalgleish broke his wrist about 15 min into the GF and played through. Had it operated on today
  10. Oracle83 Billy Sheehan (19)

Tough and talented to boot!!!!!
    The Nomad likes this.