• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh I know. And considering lots of clubs have been back at pre-season now for 6 weeks minimum across all grades, you’d think the players will be fit as a fiddle come Round 1!

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is it going to be the same set up as last year with the Rebels lads flying up to play in Qld? I would prefer them to play down South in Melbourne. But I do like the fact it gives me a side to tune into and watch on Stan

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It has been implied again that Wests have a strong Rebels connection. Their availability throughout the season is probably at the discretion of the Rebels though, rather than the players.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I suspect with the wuhan wonder bug still being around all super clubs will keep there player in a bubble until the super season is done.

Sideline Hack

Frank Nicholson (4)
It has been implied again that Wests have a strong Rebels connection. Their availability throughout the season is probably at the discretion of the Rebels though, rather than the players.
Most of the Rebels-aligned people (particularly school-leavers) being told they have to play at Wests. Apparently formal agreement signed with Wests. Some who were already at various Prem clubs being allowed to stay there but you will see some have jumped as well.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Most of the Rebels-aligned people (particularly school-leavers) being told they have to play at Wests. Apparently formal agreement signed with Wests. Some who were already at various Prem clubs being allowed to stay there but you will see some have jumped as well.
Well looks like I will be watching West’s again this year. Would prefer them to stay in Melbourne but I guess smarter men than me feel this is better for their development

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Don’t get that in terms of Wests putting their best 15 on the field. Super Rugby starting relatively early , QPR quite late. Might end up with a Wests team with Super Rugby players on the bench once all the non-Wallaby Super Rugby players are back.
The up side for Wests is they should be a shoe in for the 2nd Grade premiership!

Good luck with retention moving forward and please don’t complain when your juniors find other clubs to accommodate their wish of playing First Grade.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let’s see how it plays out first. Mason Gordon at least was a wests junior. Not sure about Carter but there’s an obvious link. Zac Hough went to BBC so it’s not unreasonable for him to join the club in the same suburb. I think the Vaihus were Bank juniors? Most of their teammates went to league and there has been other commentary here about that transition to Sunnybank seniors. Which leaves only Cullen Cooper-Jones I think? That switch cursed a stir in the club no doubt.

Are there any others I’ve missed? Or we assuming the likes of Vidugo, Haylett-Petty, Hosea, etc will be back?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don’t understand the benefit for Melbourne rugby in general in terms of signing a formal agreement to play in the QPR with Wests.

Made sense last year for these guys to come there, considering the covid situation.

But surely you want the likes of Gordon brothers, Vaihus etc playing club rugby in Victoria and helping raise those clubs up.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the problem for the rebels playing in the Melbourne is it just isn't good enough to prepare and develop the younger guys and there aren't enough rebels players to be lifting the standard up. Without an NRC or something like it I can't really see that changing. It makes sense for the rebels to then pair with specific clubs for logistics and cohesion - I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking at finding a shute shield partner as well and then just look at focusing players into one of those two clubs, at least until something changes at that level between super and club to help them lift the competition up.

What effect that'll have on QPR and whether that prompts the QRU to get involved I'm not sure.

Sideline Hack

Frank Nicholson (4)
Are there any others I’ve missed? Or we assuming the likes of Vidugo, Haylett-Petty, Hosea, etc will be back?
I believe players like Maiva will be there as well ie their WTS / Academy boys who have come from Qld recently and have spent pre-season training with the squad

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think you will find that there will be Rebels squad / wider squad players popping up in NSW as well.
I'm sure there will be, I just mean they might look to a more formalised relationship with an individual club like they apparently have with Wests.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If the Rebels are looking to ship their players off to interstate clubs, whether it be QPR or SS, it sends the wrong message to the Victorian clubs, in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, I have nothing to do with that competition nor do I support the Rebels so maybe they all agree it is the best step for their players.

But I would have thought having a bunch of Rebels around the clubs down there, adding a sense of professionalism, would only be beneficial to the long term success of that competition.

I know as a Reds and QPR supporter, I’d be annoyed if a bunch of our blokes went to SS once Super Rugby ended.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
If the Rebels are looking to ship their players off to interstate clubs, whether it be QPR or SS, it sends the wrong message to the Victorian clubs, in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, I have nothing to do with that competition nor do I support the Rebels so maybe they all agree it is the best step for their players.

But I would have thought having a bunch of Rebels around the clubs down there, adding a sense of professionalism, would only be beneficial to the long term success of that competition.

I know as a Reds and QPR supporter, I’d be annoyed if a bunch of our blokes went to SS once Super Rugby ended.
Is that much like the Reds are evenly distributed among the QPR clubs ATM

cough cough

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is that much like the Reds are evenly distributed among the QPR clubs ATM

cough cough

That's a different argument for a different day, my issue isn't that Wests have a formal arrangement, it's more the problems it causes to Victorian grassroots rugby.

The QPR is arguably the best club rugby competition in Australia. I don't doubt the Victorian comp is seen as fairly weak in comparison, but robbing them of professional players seems a bit shit.

If the Rebels keep sending their players interstate instead of keeping them in Victoria, they're essentially conceding that they're never going to grow their own grassroots comp. As I said, maybe Rebels supporters and club rugby fans down there don't mind this approach. But it seems strange to me.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
That's a different argument for a different day, my issue isn't that Wests have a formal arrangement, it's more the problems it causes to Victorian grassroots rugby.

The QPR is arguably the best club rugby competition in Australia. I don't doubt the Victorian comp is seen as fairly weak in comparison, but robbing them of professional players seems a bit shit.

If the Rebels keep sending their players interstate instead of keeping them in Victoria, they're essentially conceding that they're never going to grow their own grassroots comp. As I said, maybe Rebels supporters and club rugby fans down there don't mind this approach. But it seems strange to me.
I don’t disagree but the Melb scene is probably Reggie’s at best and 4 th grade at worst so I can see the point in shipping players out. I am sure it is the long term vision for the Rebels players to play locally.

QPR followers are either happy with the reds distribution of players if you are from UQ Brothers Wests and Bond and not happy if you are from elsewhere.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If the Rebels to Wests plan does come to fruition, no doubt Wests will be applying for a rule change with the QRU to have any Super Rugby registered players available for finals under the same rule currently governing Reds players.

Had Wests been able to keep all their Rebels last season for finals, I have no doubt they would have beaten GPS and probably given UQ a good run for their money in the final.

And I think that would be fair enough. If a player aligns themselves with a certain club from the outset of the season, and plays Super Rugby, I think they should receive dispensation regardless of what team they play for. The rules are obviously the rules for a reason, but I'm still holding onto the season probably 6 years ago now where Hergarty and Sean McMahon weren't able to play for GPS in the finals despite having been registered with the club for the season.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
If the Rebels to Wests plan does come to fruition, no doubt Wests will be applying for a rule change with the QRU to have any Super Rugby registered players available for finals under the same rule currently governing Reds players.

Had Wests been able to keep all their Rebels last season for finals, I have no doubt they would have beaten GPS and probably given UQ a good run for their money in the final.

And I think that would be fair enough. If a player aligns themselves with a certain club from the outset of the season, and plays Super Rugby, I think they should receive dispensation regardless of what team they play for. The rules are obviously the rules for a reason, but I'm still holding onto the season probably 6 years ago now where Hergarty and Sean McMahon weren't able to play for GPS in the finals despite having been registered with the club for the season.
I wonder if Wallis and Ripley will return to UQ and Van Nek to Easts after Super Rugby games. It’s spreading further than Wests. I might add I was happy to get Powell for the second half of the season last year.
QPR should open up all Super Rugby playing for club finals. It brings more spectators to the fields, more money and more excitement.