• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
how about signing up to ladbrokes and having a punt?

it’s been a long time since a QPR team has gone back to back… Wests will certainly have a target on its back.

who do you like for the hospital cup @MoneyBill685
I think the obvious front runners are GPS. they've been around the mark the last couple of years and i think the additions they've made this year plus the current squad...this could be their year. Deserved second favs on Ladbrokes.

As a roughie I like Easts at 9 bucks. Yes they dont have the big names as other teams but they have pretty much the exact same team as last year. As the season went on last year they got better and better knocking off the eventual premiers wests at wests. The Norths game they really choked so killed any finals aspirations but i think with the team cohesion carried over from last year they can give teams a run for their money.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the obvious front runners are GPS. they've been around the mark the last couple of years and i think the additions they've made this year plus the current squad...this could be their year. Deserved second favs on Ladbrokes.

As a roughie I like Easts at 9 bucks. Yes they dont have the big names as other teams but they have pretty much the exact same team as last year. As the season went on last year they got better and better knocking off the eventual premiers wests at wests. The Norths game they really choked so killed any finals aspirations but i think with the team cohesion carried over from last year they can give teams a run for their money.

yeah I like Easts as a sleeper Smokey outside the top 4… seem to be going under the radar.

all though I won’t be placing any bets (even on my dogs) do not want them getting the “SouthernX kiss of death”

As for GPS… I remember Phil mentioning last year that The gallopers had no X factors in the team come final time so will be interesting to see if they can get a couple of finishers to put alongside a hopefully healthy Josh Collins

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
It really will depend on whos big dogs are available, you would be stupid to rule out a back2back - a few clubs have the potential to field a Monster team on their day:

West Potential Line Up:
1 - Gibbon
2 - Uelese
3 - Eloff
4 - Smith
5 - Faifua
6 - Tauakipulu
7 - Anderson
8 - Uru
9 - Sorovi
10 - Gordon
11 - Daugunu
12 - Paisami
13 - Henry
14 - Vunivalu
15 - Petaia

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh I mean it is unlikely the likes of Petaia, Paisami and Daugunu would play club rugby in a RWC year, but it could happen.

Henry is quickly becoming the Aiden Toa/CFS of the current Reds squad, lots of wraps, has been solid when playing, but keeps breaking down.

I wonder if he looks to capitalise on what could be a limited career and jumps overseas soon.

Regardless, I think Wests still have the best depth once the business end comes and they get Super Rugby players back.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Easts currently have good depth at the club, won a few premierships last year and generally have kept most of their playing groups intact, that usually bodes well for a club.

A big factor in terms of pushing their 1st graders to maximum potential will be how much Mowen is involved during the year. He's already been setup down in ACT, and I know he's 'fully invested' with Easts in 2023, but with his family moving down earlier, it's human nature that part of him will have one foot out the door.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It really will depend on whos big dogs are available, you would be stupid to rule out a back2back - a few clubs have the potential to field a Monster team on their day:

West Potential Line Up:
1 - Gibbon
2 - Uelese
3 - Eloff
4 - Smith
5 - Faifua
6 - Tauakipulu
7 - Anderson
8 - Uru
9 - Sorovi
10 - Gordon
11 - Daugunu
12 - Paisami
13 - Henry
14 - Vunivalu
15 - Petaia

Luke Jones off the bench? Harsh.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Howdy all. Any stats lovers on the forum? I've been approached by someone looking to do some legit work coding match stats for club rugby games (Prem Grade). All training to be provided.

Need:

- a knowledge of rugby
- a commitment through the season (Saturday night/Sunday morning)
- some sort of Mac device.

They may rule some of you out (not suggesting which ones). If you are interested, send me a private message and I can provide more detail

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeh I mean it is unlikely the likes of Petaia, Paisami and Daugunu would play club rugby in a RWC year, but it could happen.

Henry is quickly becoming the Aiden Toa/CFS of the current Reds squad, lots of wraps, has been solid when playing, but keeps breaking down.

I wonder if he looks to capitalise on what could be a limited career and jumps overseas soon.

Regardless, I think Wests still have the best depth once the business end comes and they get Super Rugby players back.
For the last two seasons Petaia could have played a couple games for the doggies but they didn't register him thinking he would be away with the Wallabies - they said 3rd times a charm lol

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
For the last two seasons Petaia could have played a couple games for the doggies but they didn't register him thinking he would be away with the Wallabies - they said 3rd times a charm lol

Are you getting him confused with Vunivalu?

He wasn't registered in time to play finals last year.

If Petaia was eligible to play games for Wests during the regular season, all he has to do is sign the rego paperwork on the spot and can play, I don't see what you mean by they didn't register him.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)

Petaia was named for the bulldogs 2 seasons ago at fullback in what was going to be the greatest qpr lineup I’ve ever seen. It had Uelese, Leota, Horsea, Fa’amausili and a whole bunch of other rebels/reds - unfortunately there was a Covid scare in SEQLD and Rennie got all the wallabies on the first flight to Auckland so they wouldn’t be quarantining for the bledisloe.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Are you getting him confused with Vunivalu?

He wasn't registered in time to play finals last year.

If Petaia was eligible to play games for Wests during the regular season, all he has to do is sign the rego paperwork on the spot and can play, I don't see what you mean by they didn't register him.
Why would I get him confused with Vunivalu, he played last year - common champ you are running backwards.

FYI Petaia was considering playing in the final series last year but he was not registered, you would find he was not registered for West the past two years - same balls up happened at Souths with Kerevi a few years ago.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Petaia was named for the bulldogs 2 seasons ago at fullback in what was going to be the greatest qpr lineup I’ve ever seen. It had Uelese, Leota, Horsea, Fa’amausili and a whole bunch of other rebels/reds - unfortunately there was a Covid scare in SEQLD and Rennie got all the wallabies on the first flight to Auckland so they wouldn’t be quarantining for the bledisloe.
Correct and so they did not register him - maybe they held off until it was a definite because the Rebels flight bills were adding up lol, I am certain they put the players fees up this year to offset the cost so it should not be an issue this season.

Kitwalker

Bob McCowan (2)
Do players get paid in Prems? could that be another reason why players go to certain clubs?

i spoke to someone and they said that Wests players get paid?

Dunno about that though
Apparently the Filth are paying one player who is not signed to a Super Rugby Club $500 per game. They are also allegedly paying a first year colt $250 for every game he plays in Colts 1

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Don’t name players if this is just speculation or rumours, it’s unfair on them if untrue and has potential legal ramifications for this forum

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Find that hard to believe - what players are you talking about?

haha why is that hard to believe?

always dishing unfounded dirt on wests - yet brothers suddenly has a moral compass about building a ethical roster?

let’s not act like clubs don’t have some type of extra recruitment carrots to lure players - although those amounts seems unsustainable (like whoever started rumour about the reds halfback who wanted 50k to play for norths)

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
For the record I have no issue with players being paid at any level and if they are being paid as suggested good for them - what I find hard to believe is how clubs can afford to pay that amount of money for an uncontracted player or even a contracted player for that matter in QPR....West only pay their Rebel players $400 per week hahaha.

Some of the higher level SS players are being paid 15k-20k in clubland so I do realized this happens for higher level players - its also not just money West gave Petaia a car for a season, guess it depends what they have up their sleeve (or sponsors) at the time.

Last edited: