• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
haha fair enough.

If Easts lose this weekend and drop down to 3rd that wouldnt be the worst thing. They would then get the minor semi at home.

Interestingly, Easts are the outsiders of the top 4 to win the premiership with Ladbrokes paying 6 bucks.
Easts v Brothers sudden death playoff on a nice newly laid surface.

Bond v Wests major semi for spot in the GF on a neutral (but looks sandy, uneven and mediocre surface). Showpiece game but surely they could have picked a better venue? If not up to scratch, move to Ballymore and Brothers club get the takings and supply the staff.

As a comparison, the Shute Shield is a top 6 finals series with 2 preliminary finals at beautifully kept North Sydney oval and the. GF is at Leichhardt Oval.

Ballymore would have been packed next week and they’re playing at Crosby!!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Who wins next weekend?
The selection of the extended Wallaby squad will clearly have an impact.

Brothers would have a lot of players impacted if they bought in the Australia A camp this weekend… but I suspect club rugby will still get the cameos from Aus A.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Difficult for Easts having to go again vs a stacked Brothers team. Great to see the likes of O'Connor playing QPR but it certainly favours the teams that can bring these players back. As an aside, how many times in recent years have their been QPR finals without UQ being part of it? They have always seemed to be there previously.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Difficult for Easts having to go again vs a stacked Brothers team. Great to see the likes of O'Connor playing QPR but it certainly favours the teams that can bring these players back. As an aside, how many times in recent years have their been QPR finals without UQ being part of it? They have always seemed to be there previously.

At least for Brothers majority of their Super Rugby players have been associated with the club since juniors or colts. Hard to feel like anyone is getting the short end there.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Brothers would have a lot of players impacted if they bought in the Australia A camp this weekend… but I suspect club rugby will still get the cameos from Aus A.
If Waugh isn’t all talk about building the profile of club rugby, you’d hope a directive comes from above around this.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mafi’s brother moved across to GPS a couple of years ago. But yeh the others traditionally don’t have an association with the club. Quade’s brother started playing this year as well.

I was talking to someone today who works closely with the QRU through the judiciary and they implied the Wests and Rebels “official partnership” may be on its final season. Apparently the Rebels have approached the QRU about an official comp wide agreement going forward and a few other clubs (namely Norths) will get some Rebels players filtered through from next year. Wait and see.
Why don't Melbourne enter a team in the QPR like Canberra did a while back. I know it may have rubbed some noses out of joint when Canberra won the comp, but in the absence of no NRC, why not?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Why don't Melbourne enter a team in the QPR like Canberra did a while back. I know it may have rubbed some noses out of joint when Canberra won the comp, but in the absence of no NRC, why not?

Because 75% of the Queensland based rebels players already have an alignment to qpr clubs.

If they entered a team in Queensland their overheads would increase dramatically…

What they do is have the players live in qld, board when they go down to Melbourne in the week and when there’s a qld rebels based training session they all meet at wests rugby and do fitness and skills

Willo

Stan Wickham (3)
Going to be some cracker games this weekend. I thought Brothers made changes too early on the weekend thinking they had the game won. Couple of injuries for both sides. Lets hope that Phil Waugh backs club rugby. It will be a disgrace if the ARU buckles. Can't wait to see the teams for the weekend.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Going to be some cracker games this weekend. I thought Brothers made changes too early on the weekend thinking they had the game won. Couple of injuries for both sides. Lets hope that Phil Waugh backs club rugby. It will be a disgrace if the ARU buckles. Can't wait to see the teams for the weekend.
JP Tominiko and Alex Smit look to be definite outs for Easts.

Flook came off injured too

Will be a cracking game. Easts will rewatch that game and identify where they were weak. will definitely be better for the run (despite the injuries). All easts teams in the finals are actually playing on sunday at easts so will be a big crowd come main game. Expecting to be a great game.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Flook looked pretty badly concussed and didn’t want to leave the field. Not sure how they convinced him to come off! He’s a tough hombre. He will have to sit out this week.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I suspect that old mate in the Brothers “medic” bib didn’t exactly encourage him to come off and it took the referee to issue the blue card before he left the field.
I would have thought that the Brothers “medic” as a duty of care should have done more than assist him back to the defensive line.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I suspect that old mate in the Brothers “medic” bib didn’t exactly encourage him to come off and it took the referee to issue the blue card before he left the field.
I would have thought that the Brothers “medic” as a duty of care should have done more than assist him back to the defensive line.
Complete dribble

hdnmstsnr

Frank Nicholson (4)
After sealing GPS' fate and seeing off a strong challenge from Souths to finish as minor prems by 9 points, the Bullsharks are looking to go best out of three for the season against a strong and solid Wests outfit this weekend. Even though the Bullsharks have dropped only two games all season, there is arguably a strong degree of scepticism that Bond has 'done their dash' going into finals. History may well prove that scepticism as well founded; but Bond has historically lost close games, and the 2023 turnaround in that area is a circumstance that few can debate. Additionally, if UQ can sensationally drop out....then Bond can definitely - and just as sensationally - drop in. The next few weeks will tell.

Attachments

• Bond_001.gif
    Bond_001.gif
    58.6 KB · Views: 45

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I know this is the 2023 premier thread and there’s still 3 weeks of high quality football left…

But SOUTHS looking like they could be a powerhouse (again) from 2024 onwards…. Winning the minor premiership in colts and having a really promising premier grade team with a good coaching candidate.

They should be recruit very well this off-season building off what they have done in 2023.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I know this is the 2023 premier thread and there’s still 3 weeks of high quality football left…

But SOUTHS looking like they could be a powerhouse (again) from 2024 onwards…. Winning the minor premiership in colts and having a really promising premier grade team with a good coaching candidate.

They should be recruit very well this off-season building off what they have done in 2023.
Totally agree. Narrowly missed the 4 in Prems, in the finals in 2nds, Minor Premiers in 4ths and 5ths. Minor Premiers in Colts 1 and in the finals in Colts 2 and 3. Narrowly missed the finals in Colts 4, finishing in equal 4th but missing out on for & against.
The Premier Grade was certainly an extremely competitive team but they did suffer with the unavailability of the Junior Wallabies. They had the highest representation of any one Club in the Junior Wallabies with four players: Harry McLaughlin-Philips, Taj Annan, John Bryant and Trevor King.
The Club fought strongly in the Doughty Shield. It is onward and upward for the Magpies in the remainder of 2023 & in 2024.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
When they won the Colts premiership a few years back, it proved to be a false dawn for Souths. The following year they fielded a very young side in first grade and were out of their depth most weeks. Then covid…

They look to have built a much broader and deeper base of talent this year. So agree that the future looks bright.