• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
What distinguishes each club culturally from one another? Or better yet what are some stereotypes?

I played my first year of lower grades rugby this past season after moving to Brisbane, but feel like I don't have a good handle on the background of each club besides some off-hand comments from the sideline. I know a bit about Brothers getting Nudgee or Terrace guys, Churchie boys going to Easts, and Norths tending to struggle to hold onto their standout colts, but not much else. Apologies if this isn't the right place for this question.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Depends on who you ask Socksy. Most posters on here will tell you their club's shit doesn't stink and everyone else are a bunch of cheaters and liars.

Probably fair to say most of the clubs generally have a private school catchment made up of AIC/GPS schools. Norths and Sunnybank probably struggle the most in that area in terms of having cohorts of students from strong rugby schools that will flock to the club without fail.

If I were to generalise about clubs I'd probably say:

- GPS, Easts and Brothers stereotypically have a vocal and abrasive home crowd that rubs away supporters the wrong way
- UQ and Wests have good facilities and get painted with a brush they are able to afford better players because of that
- Souths have a lot of strong culture and depth at the club but have struggled to maintain that into 1st grade lately
- Norths get shafted because all the good players go to other clubs, they haven't had a winning season since the moon landing
- Sunnybank pumped a heap of money into the club via their pokie clubhouse years ago, now going through a rough patch as they try to rebuild the culture
- Bond I've already seen getting hit with the cashed-up chat since they've acquired Heenan. Sounds like people think they're about to buy themselves a premiership.

Keeno3

Frank Row (1)
Looking forward to Heenan back in qpr.

I think there’s a lot of parity in the comp atm but Mick back at the helm at one of the contenders, surely they’ll be competition favourites in 2024 considering they won the minor premiership?
Have to be favourites now. Definitely rescinding my earlier statement about them maybe struggling.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Depends on who you ask Socksy. Most posters on here will tell you their club's shit doesn't stink and everyone else are a bunch of cheaters and liars.

Probably fair to say most of the clubs generally have a private school catchment made up of AIC/GPS schools. Norths and Sunnybank probably struggle the most in that area in terms of having cohorts of students from strong rugby schools that will flock to the club without fail.

If I were to generalise about clubs I'd probably say:

- GPS, Easts and Brothers stereotypically have a vocal and abrasive home crowd that rubs away supporters the wrong way
- UQ and Wests have good facilities and get painted with a brush they are able to afford better players because of that
- Souths have a lot of strong culture and depth at the club but have struggled to maintain that into 1st grade lately
- Norths get shafted because all the good players go to other clubs, they haven't had a winning season since the moon landing
- Sunnybank pumped a heap of money into the club via their pokie clubhouse years ago, now going through a rough patch as they try to rebuild the culture
- Bond I've already seen getting hit with the cashed-up chat since they've acquired Heenan. Sounds like people think they're about to buy themselves a premiership.
Thanks Phil, definitely caught a few wayward chirps from some 60 year old dads in the Brothers crowd so that lines up. Otherwise thought the Filth reputation was a bit overblown since only 1 or 2 guys on the Brothers team were dirty while the rest seemed alright. Have Griffith or QUT ever had entries or affiliates in the comp like UQ and Bond do?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wests fields getting destroyed in the rain. Mud paddock. Will be interesting to see if it can bounce back with (hopefully) no use.

Last edited:

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Was told yesterday that they are relaying the turf so they were not worried about the rain.
The field was pretty much hard dirt with a few bits of green the last time I played on it, is it an issue with lack of sun exposure and overuse?

A guy at a different club was complaining to me about his club's selection of a turf variety that looks greener and nicer initially for the photos, but doesn't hold up as well to prolonged use because the roots don't go as deep/thick as other turf types. The phrase "golf course grass" was used. He was of the opinion that a turf variety that tends to brown but is a bit hardier would be better.

Sidenote: I've had scans done at Wests and the main field view from the MRI waiting room is stunning.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
How long before one of the Brisbane clubs puts in a synthetic turf field like Easts in Sydney? Would make sense at Toowong.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
How long before one of the Brisbane clubs puts in a synthetic turf field like Easts in Sydney? Would make sense at Toowong.
Genuine Q - is it possible to scrummage (and other situations which result in studs digging into the turf) on synthetic?

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Synthetic has a lot of downsides. Gives you turf burn when you slide on it, heats up incredibly hot on a sunny day, lacks the "give" natural grass or dirt have which puts more stress on your tendons/joints/ligaments and increases injury risk, feels like falling on concrete with a towel over it, and tends to let nasty bacteria like MRSA hang around at a higher rate than natural grass.

Any forwards that wear metal studs are asking for a torn ACL, most soccer boot manufacturers make specific synthetic turf boots with shorter and rounder moulded studs to minimize injury risk.

It's ok for a sport like soccer where you're not spending as much time on the ground or taking hard contact.

But I personally wouldn't play rugby on it as someone with no professional prospects or pay riding on my participation.

Wolfie

Frank Row (1)
Why can't we hang onto our coaches? Word is Chris Latham heading back to the MLR in January to link up with the Seattle Seawolves.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Synthetic has a lot of downsides. Gives you turf burn when you slide on it, heats up incredibly hot on a sunny day, lacks the "give" natural grass or dirt have which puts more stress on your tendons/joints/ligaments and increases injury risk, feels like falling on concrete with a towel over it, and tends to let nasty bacteria like MRSA hang around at a higher rate than natural grass.

Any forwards that wear metal studs are asking for a torn ACL, most soccer boot manufacturers make specific synthetic turf boots with shorter and rounder moulded studs to minimize injury risk.

It's ok for a sport like soccer where you're not spending as much time on the ground or taking hard contact.

But I personally wouldn't play rugby on it as someone with no professional prospects or pay riding on my participation.
Not sure how informed your views are but if the most successful rugby club in the UK have adopted it, there must be some merit in considering.