• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Reds v ACT Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock stuck on fringe of battle

By Bret Harris
April 29, 2009

An out-of-form Stirling Mortlock will be shunted back on to the wing for the Brumbies' must-win Super 14 match with Queensland Reds in Brisbane on Saturday night.

Mortlock has struggled to perform in his preferred outside centre position this season.

His best games were at inside centre against the Highlanders and the Crusaders and on the wing against the Bulls in Canberra two weeks ago.

But Mortlock was outgunned by the All Blacks midfield combination of Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith in the Brumbies' humiliating 56-7 loss to the Hurricanes in Wellington last Saturday.

"He (Mortlock) had one of his better games when he played on the wing," Brumbies coach Andy Friend said. "You've got more freedom to get involved off phase play.

"You can get a bit lost or lonely at outside centre. You have more freedom to roam on the wing. Against the Bulls it was one of his best games of the year. Hopefully, we'll see it again.

"We have a world-class centre who probably hasn't found his form for various reasons.

"Knowing the competitor he is, he'll bounce back. His preference is outside centre, but he understands it is important to have the best team on the paddock."

Mortlock's presence on the wing will rob the game of his much-anticipated head-to-head clash with Reds outside centre Digby Ioane.

Ioane is the best-performed outside centre in Australia this season and Mortlock would have wanted to make a statement against him with Wallabies coach Robbie Deans sitting in the grandstand at Suncorp Stadium.

But the selection of Mortlock and Adam Ashley-Cooper on the wings should ensure the Reds do not do to the Brumbies what the Hurricanes did to them.

Of the Hurricanes' eight tries, six were scored by outside backs.

After their upset win against the Blues in Albany last Saturday, the Reds will no doubt be encouraged to play their trademark expansive style of game. And they will be strengthened out wide by the return from injury of Wallabies winger Peter Hynes.

Friend will stick with rookie five-eighth Matt To'omua in the crucial playmaking role following an encouraging run-on debut against the Hurricanes.

Gene Fairbanks will return from injury to partner Tyrone Smith in the midfield, while Mark Gerrard is expected to resume at fullback.

"I was happy with Matt To'omua. He showed he can play 10," Friend said.

"With Gene Fairbanks playing outside him at inside centre, it gives us good direction.

Backrower Julian Salvi is expected to be out for a week or two with an ankle injury and Friend is hoping Sitaleki Timani recovers from a knee injury to take his place on the reserves bench.

Probably good news for the Reds with Mortlock out on the wing, with his style of play it will be harder for him to stamp his authority on the game.

I'm tipping the Reds but after last week I'm expecting a Brumbies backlash, look out for a big game from George Smith this week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No changes, as expected, other than Hynes back in for Morahan. Would you put Hynes up against Morty to try and use Pete's speed and agility against the aging centre? Leaving Va'aulu to continue to look very average against the equally average Fainifo.

Tell you what, if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) continues with aimless midfield kicks, than Mark McLinden could enjoy a bit of counter attacking.

Hynes returns to QR Reds lineup
Hynes back for Brumbies match
Wednesday, 29 April 2009

Wallaby wing Peter Hynes returns to an otherwise unchanged QR Reds squad for Saturday night?s Investec Super 14 match against the ACT Brumbies at Suncorp Stadium (kickoff 7.30pm).

Reds Head Coach Phil Mooney has kept faith with the side that defeated the Blues 31-24 in Auckland last weekend, making just the one change to replace injured rookie wing Luke Morahan with a fit again Hynes.

Hynes is over the knee problem that forced him out of the Blues match but Morahan?s season is over after a dislocated shoulder led to him being booked in for reconstructive surgery.

?It?s terrible luck for Luke but at least the injury gods have given us some compensation in making Peter available for this match,? said Mooney.

?The rest of the 22 virtually picked themselves with their good all-round team performance against the Blues. They now have to demonstrate consistency with another strong showing against the Brumbies on Saturday night,? Mooney said.

?The preparation and focus they took into the Blues game will be the blueprint we?re looking to follow again this week.?

Mooney has again named Quade Cooper and Berrick Barnes at flyhalf and inside centre respectively, although they swapped roles for the Blues match in the wind and rain at North Auckland, where Barnes? greater experience and all-round kicking game came to the fore.

?We?ll leave things as they are on paper. Players in those positions can sometimes interchange a bit during the course of the game anyway, depending on the play,? Mooney said.

The curtain raiser on Saturday is St Joseph?s College, Gregory Terrace (Terrace) v Marist Brothers College, Ashgrove, kicking off at 5.30pm.

Tickets to the match are available through Ticketek.com.au

The team is:
1 Greg Holmes (Sunnybank)
2 Sean Hardman (Brothers)
3 Laurie Weeks (University)
4 Van Humphries (Souths)
5 James Horwill (c) (University)
6 Hugh McMeniman (Wests)
7 Poutasi Luafutu (Wests)
8 Ezra Taylor (University)
9 Will Genia (Norths)
10 Quade Cooper (Souths)
11 Brando Va?aulu (University)
12 Berrick Barnes (Wests)
13 Digby Ioane (Sunnybank)
14 Peter Hynes (GPS)
15 Mark McLinden (Sunnybank)

Reserves:
16 Saia Fainga'a (Souths)
17 Jack Kennedy (Souths)
18 Adam Byrnes (University)
19 Scott Higginbotham (Wests)
20 Ben Lucas (Sunnybank)
21 Charlie Fetoai (Souths)
22 Anthony Fainga'a (Souths)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
This week we get to answer the question we've all been wondering. Who is the most ordinary journeyman centre in Australian rugby: Tom Carter or Gene Fairbanks?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scarfman said:
This week we get to answer the question we've all been wondering. Who is the most ordinary journeyman centre in Australian rugby: Tom Carter or Gene Fairbanks?

That is not a good question. I'll ask you a better one:

Would you trade Carter for Fairbanks at the Tahs?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I just think Gene has more to his game. I remember his debut for QLD, I think it was v the Chiefs. We got smashed but he constantly broke the line and pulled off these amazing steps. Steke Kefu came back and took his spot the next week, and soon enough he headed to the Brums. His defence was aweful that game though. Sprinting up out of the line. I put it down to the exuberance of youth.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Noddy said:
I just think Gene has more to his game. I remember his debut for QLD, I think it was v the Chiefs. We got smashed but he constantly broke the line and pulled off these amazing steps. Steke Kefu came back and took his spot the next week, and soon enough he headed to the Brums. His defence was aweful that game though. Sprinting up out of the line. I put it down to the exuberance of youth.

Agreed. I've always enjoyed watching Fairbanks. Underrated with good skills. Great step and a really gutsy player. Couple of seasons ago he played a lot of games with injures at the Brumbies and I thought he went well.

As for Carter, he must be the luckiest back in Australia to hold down a contract. He is ordinary and will do well to stop yapping at the opposition and the ref.

Fairbanks all day for my money.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fairbanks too for me.

Firstly, EXCELLENT stats site thanks to Duluth from TSF:

http://www.sarugby.com/news/Stats_Centre_2009.html

Duluth is right though - the stats site is a bit hard to read.

Let's look at offensive stats, we all know that Carter is a defensive miracle.

According to that site, Tom Carter has passed 20 times for the entire year, 4 offloads, beaten just 6 defenders with 97 runs for 385 metres.

Now, Palu, at no. 8 for the Tahs, has passed 77 times, Dean Mumm has passed 27.

Fairbanks, with hardly any time for the Brumbies, has beaten 4 defenders, 0 offloads, passed 24, 29 runs for 208 metres.

Take Ioane, playing at 13. 33 defenders beaten (one of the leaders), 61 passes, 15 offloads, 127 runs for 1356 metres.

Naza was insane enough to compare Carter to Barnes. 16 defenders beaten, 191 passes, 13 offloads, 87 runs for 1061 metres.

Really, on occasion you get players who have one or more surprising stats, like Sailor and his massive amount of tackle busts, which justifies why a coach would want a player to play a role. The only thing for Carter is his amount for tackles for so few missed and his kick chase game. Outside of that the guy is complete pants. The run/pass stat for a 12 is the biggest joke ever seen. What inside centre in history has passed 1 in 6 times with the ball, and hits it up the other 5? To top it off, he averages less than 4m per run - less than every other 12 in Aus.

Carter's shortcomings offensively outweighs what he brings defensively. Carter is the ultimate black hole in the midfield for zero gain. Carter and Wisemantel are vying for the biggest reason that the Tahs can't score points.

I'm amazed he wasn't dropped earlier.

Thus, Fairbanks - quite easily.

F

formeropenside

I was sad when he left the Reds. He wasn't Wallaby potential, I thought, but a versatile S14 player.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ash said:
Carter is the ultimate black hole in the midfield for zero gain.

Last year I called him a firewall to the ball going out wider and in my eyes it was the same this year.

It is too simplistic to judge Carter to be only culprit in the matter of the Tah's outside backs not getting enough ball, as everybody has contributed a bit, but it is instructive to read some of the Carter stats.

P

PhucNgo

Am I dreaming or is Fairbanks yet another thoroughbred product of Goondawindi (sic)? Like, Noddy, I recall that game against the Chiefs and have been a fan since. His career has been continually halted due to injury, and I guess that's to be expected given his slight build. Brilliant attacker, reminiscent of Papworth and defence? I've always considered that he defends above his weight, bit like Gits. I'd take him in a blink, slot in well at 10 or 12 where the Tahs are thin.

S

Spook

I think Fairbanks is off next season.

I reckon the Reds will win. Brumbies have too many key players out...and the Reds played beautifully last weekend.

S

Spook

Ash said:
According to that site, Tom Carter has passed 20 times for the entire year, 4 offloads, beaten just 6 defenders with 97 runs for 385 metres.

Check out Ben Alexander's stats. They quite amazing IMO. He tackles more than any other prop and runs more with the most metres gained. Decent scrummager as well but not in Robinsons class at scrum time.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am coming up to watch this game. Will probably support the brumbietahs given they are still a mathematical chance to make the finals but will be happy to see some good play by either team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The CA Brumbies have revamped their backline ahead of their must-win Investec Super 14 Week 12 Australian derby against the Reds in Brisbane on Saturday night.

Flyhalf Matt To'omua is the only player from CA Brumbies? last round loss to the Hurricanes to retain the same position with inside centre Gene Fairbanks and Mark Gerrard returning from injury.

After missing two matches due to a hamstring strain, Gerrard resumes his role at fullback while Fairbanks (groin) returns from a one-match lay-off to reunite with outside centre Tyrone Smith in the CA Brumbies? midfield.

Stirling Mortlock and Adam Ashley-Cooper shift from outside centre and fullback respectively to each take up a position on the wing, while Patrick Phibbs earns his fourth run-on start of the season at scrumhalf, replacing Joshua Holmes, who will start off the bench.

The CA Brumbies? forward pack remains unchanged with George Smith continuing his impressive run of 60 consecutive matches and further consolidating his second placing on the CA Brumbies? most capped list with 117 matches, one ahead of Stephen Larkham (116 caps) and 19 adrift of George Gregan (136).

While the CA Brumbies still have Mark Chisholm (wrist), Christian Lealiifano (hamstring), Clyde Rathbone (quadricep), Julian Salvi (ankle) and Guy Shepherdson (suspension) sidelined, Sitaleki Timani has been selected after recovering from a knee injury suffered against the Bulls a fortnight ago. Timani has been named on the CA Brumbies? bench along with Holmes and Francis Fainifo, who both join the reserves list from last week?s starting XV.

The two sides will compete for the Rod Macqueen Cup, a trophy the CA Brumbies have held since it?s inception in 2005, having won 13 of the 14 matches against the Reds since 1996.

CA Brumbies Head Coach Andy Friend says previous results between the two sides will have no bearing on Saturday night?s outcome.

?We?ve got three must-win games in our last three rounds and so every match from here on in is vitally important for us,? he said.

?We?ve got to turnaround last week?s performance and our attitude during the week definitely suggests we can do that. Gene and Pat are both good organisers on the field and will help provide us with direction but it?s a matter of matching up physically against what is a very competent Queensland pack.

?The Reds showed again last weekend against the Blues what a dangerous side they are. Guys like Digby Ioane and Berrick Barnes have been outstanding for them throughout the season and there?s no question they?ll want to impress their home crowd at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.?

The CA Brumbies travel to Brisbane on Friday.

CA Brumbies v Reds
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Saturday, 2 May 2009
Kick-off: 7.40pm

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Salesi Ma?afu
4. Ben Hand
5. Peter Kimlin
6. Mitchell Chapman
7. George Smith
8. Stephen Hoiles
(c)
9. Patrick Phibbs
10. Matt To'omua
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper
12. Gene Fairbanks
13. Tyrone Smith
14. Stirling Mortlock

15. Mark Gerrard

Reserves
16. Huia Edmonds
17. Nic Henderson
25. Sitaleki Timani
19. Henry Vanderglas
20. Joshua Holmes
21. Afusipa Taumoepeau
22. Francis Fainifo

this team needs more centres.

R

Rugby Rat

Hard game. Which Reds side will turn up ? The Brumbies look like a team ready to win well.

Meh.. We all dream sometimes... Reds by 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.