• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade Cooper and Summer Digressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
How fickle is everyone on this forum?! Quade has been a stand out player all year. Sure he missed a couple of tackles but that's part and parcel of his game. Obviously he's got room to improve on the tackling front (and I really hope he lifts his game there) but he's the kind of bloke who wins us Tests. Maybe he didn't do anything that spectacular last night, but his talent creates doubts in the defensive line, which leaves holes out wide for blokes like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to run through. Still, he scored a try and gave some beautiful service to his outside backs...I thought he had a great game.

Cut him some slack, he's done more than enough to earn that 10 jersey and the alternatives don't even come close.

Couldn't agree more with what Will Greenwood said on twitter:

@GreenwoodRugby
Will Greenwood
One final thing on quade copper, take the mistakes, the kid is a genius

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
How fickle is everyone on this forum?! Quade has been a stand out player all year. Sure he missed a couple of tackles but that's part and parcel of his game. Obviously he's got room to improve on the tackling front (and I really hope he lifts his game there) but he's the kind of bloke who wins us Tests. Maybe he didn't do anything that spectacular last night, but his talent creates doubts in the defensive line, which leaves holes out wide for blokes like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to run through. Still, he scored a try and gave some beautiful service to his outside backs...I thought he had a great game.

Cut him some slack, he's done more than enough to earn that 10 jersey and the alternatives don't even come close.

Couldn't agree more with what Will Greenwood said on twitter:

@GreenwoodRugby
Will Greenwood
One final thing on quade copper, take the mistakes, the kid is a genius

Well said Gillespie. This push to bench him so that JOC (James O'Connor) can go to 12 and Greg Growden and half of this forum's love child, Turner, can go to the wing, is ridiculous.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Btw I am a big cooper fan, best attacking player on the planet its just that...

Cooper hasn't just missed a couple of tackles this year guys, he missed a hell of alot also take a look at his comments against previous teams.

He is also brilliant in attack so you have to take the good with the bad.

The thing that people find irritating about QC (Quade Cooper) is that he isn't small (6 ft 2 and 93 kgs) it just seems he doesn't care about his defence.

Fiji - "He did missed 5 tackles however which against better opposition may prove costly"
England - "Missed a few tackles but who cares"
RSA - "Missed 6 tackles – can’t get away with that in league. Sign that contract son…."
RSA - "the poor kick offs, the pushed passes, the weak tackles. Not good.
NZ - How a player can look so good in attack and so poor in defence is beyond me. as soon as the All Blacks got the ball he turned into a scared little kid with no physical presence whatsoever. He is not a small guy, but by constantly going in to contact bolt upright he is made to look like a fool too often."

That was his first start against NZ and he missed alot, today second start missed alot. Lets just hope every game isn't like today's in terms of defence

Enzedder

Frank Nicholson (4)
Keep him there please. He and Giteau are your only weaknesses in the backs and we need some hope.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm going to lay down the marker that we can't win next year without him at 10. He's the first 5/8 we've had since Bernie in his pomp that can release a backline and make the opposition shit themselves. You can't teach what he offers in attack, he's on a whole other level from just about any other bloke currently playing test footy at that. You can, however, teach defence and someone needs to.

Defence is also all about attitude and if he lacks the ticker to do it, then I am concerned by that. Pair him up with Berrick to show him how to consistently drop opposition runners.

T

tucker

Quade rarely takes a player to ground, but usually does stop the momentum of the player (granted maybe not as much last night as usual), and although he stops the player, because he doesn't complete the tackle, it is counted as a miss. Yet another player that hangs on, but gets dragged 10 metres, has given away more ground but hasn't got a missed tackle next to his name.

It is something in his rugby mindset that is creating those misses. In both attack and defence he always tries to stay out of the breakdown and re-align, but when he is called upon to make a last defender tackle, he does go down low and attempt a proper tackle.

I think it is not so much that he needs to man up or grow balls, but that he just needs to change his mindset, in that he doesn't need to be in the defensive or attacking line every play, especially when they have other play makers.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Realistically we need to build the side around Cooper - around both his strengths and weaknesses.

That means ensuring filling around him with good defenders who are also can run good lines who can leverage his vision.

But don't shackle him, he will make mistakes as he tries to breakdown defenses, just let him learn to be more patient and look two or three phases ahead

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well said Gillespie. This push to bench him so that JOC (James O'Connor) can go to 12 and Greg Growden and half of this forum's love child, Turner, can go to the wing, is ridiculous.

Can you, or do you actually read, Spewn? Most of the mentions for moving JOC (James O'Connor) have been related to him going to 12, instead of Giteau, who would go OFF. Hence Turner. I haven't seen many posters suggesting Giteau 10, JOC (James O'Connor) 12 and so forth.
Just to make it clear - I would keep Cooper (and have Scarfy's intervention, or just lock him in a room with Nathan Grey), put JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, Turner at wing, Giteau to bench. You see how that is different?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is an old adage about the merit of turning weaknesses into strengths.... I wonder if Quade would respond to the challenge of turning himself into the best tackler in the team... can we find some knarled old ex-league player to show him how to do it?

Why the constant reference to ex mungoballers showing Rugby Players how to tackle?

Mungoballers run into a bunch of three opponents who wrestle the player to the ground, and then lay on top of him for the maximum permissible amount of time. Hardly skills needed by Rugby.

Most NRL teams employ a wrestling coach.

There are plenty of Rugby players who know how to tackle who could teach QC (Quade Cooper) a thing or two.
Question has to be does QC (Quade Cooper) really want to learn, or is he capable of learning?
and as a follow on, in turning him into a defensive genius, will we lose the attacking skills?

I blame the School teachers, Principals, and Politically Correct P&C committees. Kids need to be able to play British Bulldog (AKA Bullrush) in the playground at recess and lunch. That game teaches and reinforces the skills of tackling one on one. Most schools now do not allow any physical contact between the kids. The consequences of this policy is obvious on the footy field.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Exactly Hugh. Hence my call for Nathan Grey - technique, attitude. There are plenty of others who had it too.
Most "big hitters" in League shoulder-charge anyway, you'd really want a "technician" to teach him.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Can you, or do you actually read, Spewn? Most of the mentions for moving JOC (James O'Connor) have been related to him going to 12, instead of Giteau, who would go OFF. Hence Turner. I haven't seen many posters suggesting Giteau 10, JOC (James O'Connor) 12 and so forth.
Just to make it clear - I would keep Cooper (and have Scarfy's intervention, or just lock him in a room with Nathan Grey), put JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, Turner at wing, Giteau to bench. You see how that is different?

Really, Cyclo, is that what everyone was saying? I couldn't work it out. Of course, the suggestion is drop Giteau, move JOC (James O'Connor) to 12 and put your lovechild on the wing. Your passion for Turner is admirable. But I suggest you pull your head in when someone disagrees with your precious point of view.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Didn't Gus Gould discourage players from tackling the traditional way because he thought it led to more shoulder injuries? He preferred his players used shoulder charges.

Get a flyhalf to teach him. No one knows the position better than someone who has played the position.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
I would suggest a joint session with Nathan Grey & Stirling Mortlock(I think Sonny-Bill Williams) would give Stirling a good reference!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really, Cyclo, is that what everyone was saying? I couldn't work it out. Of course, the suggestion is drop Giteau, move JOC (James O'Connor) to 12 and put your lovechild on the wing. Your passion for Turner is admirable. But I suggest you pull your head in when someone disagrees with your precious point of view.

I reckon you're the one with hatred of Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.