• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade Cooper's defence this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree that wholesale changes are never the way to go. Just select ones here and there. I would only advocate the following to come into the 22 at this stage:

Palmer
Douglas
Cooper
One of Tomane/JOC (James O'Connor)/Mitchell (fitness dependant)

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
I think we are yet to see the best of Quade Cooper. Not all Kiwis dislike him, even if he is from Tokoroa. He is an exciting player to watch, and frankly I would sooner have had him on our side of the deeetch.:)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Cruden has had the best 10 of all time above him to learn from at that level. Further evidence of how much someone like this above you or in a coaching role can be seen by Larkhams improving on Lilo's game. Cooper is better than both but hasn't had the guiding hand of others. He is finally at a stage where his past experience should be enough but i'd expect he'd be a better player know if he'd played behind or been coached by a couple of the modern stars of the position. The wallabies need a real backs coach. Could do a lot worse than bringing Bernie on board to help Deans out.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can't see how Deans can deny an in form Cooper either. So Barnes at 12? Maybe, I am sure Deans will entertain it, but it is a quite different game plan to two crash ball centres.

I reckon he'll entertain it, because he's done it before. In 2010 we played far and away our best backline footy with an axis of Genia/Cooper/Barnes. I'd love nothing more than to see a return to it. Imagine Beale or Ioane hitting the line with the service of those guys. The mouth waters at the prospect.

Add McCabe in at 13 and all of a sudden we've got passing *and* defence in the midfield.

T

Train Without a Station

But we are ignoring the form Australian inside centre, Tom Carter...

Reactions: BPC

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I reckon he'll entertain it, because he's done it before. In 2010 we played far and away our best backline footy with an axis of Genia/Cooper/Barnes. I'd love nothing more than to see a return to it. Imagine Beale or Ioane hitting the line with the service of those guys. The mouth waters at the prospect.

Add McCabe in at 13 and all of a sudden we've got passing *and* defence in the midfield.

One game?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone know when an initial Wallabies squad is selcted and training starts?

I'm assuming it will be pretty soon after the last round and will either be everyone except the Brumbies or everyone except the Brumbies and Reds.

I've said previously that I think the Reds will have to go close to the final for Cooper to get enough game time to push to replace Barnes but it could also work in his favour to not make the finals and be part of the squad straight away to get more time with the team.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
They can pretty much get the National squad together next week. It's pretty much Tahs players anyway. They'll need Monday off and a sleep in on Tues but after that they should be right. In the likelihood that the Reds don't progress any further we will have a full squad save for our no 12. But I'm sure we can get someone else to train there for a week or three. ;)

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As bad as his defence is purported to be (with some justification) his fend is going pretty well atm so it seems his opponents are not tackling him that effectively and might be going too high.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
We just about need QC (Quade Cooper) and TPN to swap tackle techniques. TPN is actually big enough to execute what QC (Quade Cooper) is trying to pull off (ball-and-all/strip-the-ball) and wouldn't concuss himself as much, and QC (Quade Cooper) might start consistently stopping players. Plus I think his skull is a bit thicker than TPN's and better able to take the knocks.

He goes low and gets cited for spear-tackling, goes high and gets cited for too high. Someone needs to hit the reset button and start over.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I'm just going to offer Lucas in comparison, who while defending in Quades absence last night stood directly behind the goal post so he couldn't defend anything.

Beau was completely lost defending as a back as well.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
quade's defenc ehas definitely improved i think he looks more hungry for it. Also i feel that he is starting to show some real maturity at 10 which he has needed.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would've thought Quade was too young for the Karate Kid?

But I'd advise not to sweep the leg....... and to aim lower.......

Status
Not open for further replies.