• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
.... the ARU and RD have already set a low standard for disciplining players over the years and as recently as 2 months ago, to now change that drastically would be to admit they were wrong and a subsequent knee jerk reaction.
I was going to agree with that bit, then I remembered Lote. Obviously the disciplinary code is scaled in proportion to the perception of the player's value to the team.
I think the ARU will look back at the past 3 years and wish they had consistently taken a tougher line.
Whenever you lower standards to accommodate star players, it ends in tears, whether it is U14's or Test level.
That there have been multiple offenders within the squad underlines this point.
No doubt they will send KB (Kurtley Beale) on a self development course as they did with QC (Quade Cooper), and then lash him with a feather.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hope the parties have learned from this, but somehow my waters are telling me that this will only be a cease fire not a lasting armistice.

If nothing else, there will be competition for the GOLD #10 jumper when Team Rehab return, and some good contests in the local S15 derbies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
because part of the players wages come from sponsorship

if a player is lowering the return to the sponsor through his off field actions, it needs to be fixed
Do you honestly think Qantas/Castrol have contacted the Wallabies and asked them to stand down KB (Kurtley Beale) because he got pissed and reacted poorly to being racially vilified?

I understand where you are coming from, but it's not like KB (Kurtley Beale) has an individual contract with the ARU's sponsors. If they feel aggreived enough to mount a campaign to have KB (Kurtley Beale) stood down, they can go for it and it is up to the ARU to react to that pressure.

The real truth is that the pressure is being applied by journalists with news stories to fill and the general public who buys those stories.

What KB (Kurtley Beale) does down the pub on a Friday night has no effect on me or my family so why should I have a say in his career? It's trial by public opinion built on false moral indignation.

D

daz

Do you honestly think Qantas/Castrol have contacted the Wallabies and asked them to stand down KB (Kurtley Beale) because he got pissed and reacted poorly to being racially vilified?

I think it is certainly possible that the sponsors would demand certain actions.

Player behaviour can cross over into marketing and when you are talking about multi-million dollar sponsorship, you would want the vehicle of that to be clean.

I think the best example I can think of that was all in the news in WA a few years ago was the Ben Cousins saga. Both Hungry Jacks and SGIO had meetings with the Eagles to find out what the Eagles board were going to do about it and if the scandal would negatively impact their brands.

It's also why Tiger Woods got dropped like a hot potato by his sponsors when he screwed up. Same with Alan Jones, etc, etc.

If I was the managing director of Castrol, I would have at least made a call to the ARU to stay in the loop and evaluate the damage. That may include a warning that if action A wasn't done, the sponsorship would be in danger.

I don't know, of course, but I'm willing to bet they did.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)

I understand where you are coming from, but it's not like KB (Kurtley Beale) has an individual contract with the ARU's sponsors. If they feel aggreived enough to mount a campaign to have KB (Kurtley Beale) stood down, they can go for it and it is up to the ARU to react to that pressure.

The real truth is that the pressure is being applied by journalists with news stories to fill and the general public who buys those stories.

What KB (Kurtley Beale) does down the pub on a Friday night has no effect on me or my family so why should I have a say in his career? It's trial by public opinion built on false moral indignation.

I think you'd be surprised how much clout public opinion has on sponsors. Take for example the American shock-jock Rush Limbaugh (or bigoted moron, your choice). He has lost huge numbers of sponsors over the last 18 months due to his controversial rantings, and subsequent consumer led boycott threats.
Whether they (sponsors) have any influence in ARU decision making is subjective, but any organisation that hears rumblings from its sponsors is foolish to ignore.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think it is certainly possible that the sponsors would demand certain actions.

Player behaviour can cross over into marketing and when you are talking about multi-million dollar sponsorship, you would want the vehicle of that to be clean.

I think the best example I can think of that was all in the news in WA a few years ago was the Ben Cousins saga. Both Hungry Jacks and SGIO had meetings with the Eagles to find out what the Eagles board were going to do about it and if the scandal would negatively impact their brands.

It's also why Tiger Woods got dropped like a hot potato by his sponsors when he screwed up. Same with Alan Jones, etc, etc.

If I was the managing director of Castrol, I would have at least made a call to the ARU to stay in the loop and evaluate the damage. That may include a warning that if action A wasn't done, the sponsorship would be in danger.

I don't know, of course, but I'm willing to bet they did.

I can certainly understand the Eagles sponsors intervening, as the Ben Cousins saga was really the last straw in regards to a continued pattern of behaviour by a sizeable contingent of the Eagles wider squad. Not all, but many of the players were involved in fairly anti-social behaviour. Knowing one of the players (and culprits) personally, what the public saw was just the tip of the iceberg. But I think the culture was certainly widely known in the public arena by the time it all came out.

I have had this discussion across a couple of different forums over the years and have always found myself in the minority opinion on this issue, which I can accept. But as an intensely private person I really sympathise with sports stars who are targeted when out socially just because of who they are, or even if they were the culprit in the issue and started it, I don't know why it warrants more public scrutiny that joe blow down the street. If they are self confessed role models, chose to be a media personality or choose to be outspoken on morality issues then I accept they should come in for more scrutiny. But to me the average footballer is a sportsman, nothing more nothing less.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The reason why Quade Cooper earns more in a year than his peers did in 1996 is a direct result of increased media interest.
I agree most do not seek out the attention, but unfortunately mediainterest comes with the big bucks

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
I can certainly understand the Eagles sponsors intervening, as the Ben Cousins saga was really the last straw in regards to a continued pattern of behaviour by a sizeable contingent of the Eagles wider squad. Not all, but many of the players were involved in fairly anti-social behaviour. Knowing one of the players (and culprits) personally, what the public saw was just the tip of the iceberg. But I think the culture was certainly widely known in the public arena by the time it all came out.

I have had this discussion across a couple of different forums over the years and have always found myself in the minority opinion on this issue, which I can accept. But as an intensely private person I really sympathise with sports stars who are targeted when out socially just because of who they are, or even if they were the culprit in the issue and started it, I don't know why it warrants more public scrutiny that joe blow down the street. If they are self confessed role models, chose to be a media personality or choose to be outspoken on morality issues then I accept they should come in for more scrutiny. But to me the average footballer is a sportsman, nothing more nothing less.

I don't understand this line of thought. Also as an intensely private person I view that sort of behaviour by anyone as obnoxious and incomprehensible. For sports stars in a large majority of cases it appears that they think they can get away with it because they are stars. They are so self centred that they feel they above everyone else.

Don't get me wrong, most sporting people are good down to earth men and women, but the few spoil it for the rest. Is the incidence of sporting people playing up more than the general population? I don't care! Whether you are a sporting person, a politician, a wealthy business person or a trade union official, if you abuse your position you are a piece of shit.

End of rant :(

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^^
Comments on the Fox Sports article are not particularly supportive of QC (Quade Cooper).

He seems to have alienated many fans with his recent behaviour.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Any player who has worn a Wallabies jersey, is not likely to disrespect it.
But unfortunately, a lot of the over-opinionated posters to G & G, do just that by casting barbed remarks without having analysed carefully how inane their remarks appear. They are in fact insulting the Wallabies.
Posting #1455 is a case in point.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Who actually "hates" a player? I find this notion odd. It also is an easy way to dismiss any valid criticism of something they did or said as being born of some pathological loathing, apparently based on their geographic position relative to a watercourse.
I think Cooper is a valuable asset for Qld and Oz. At his best, I like watching him play, at his worst I shut my eyes sometimes. When he had his say, I didn't like what he said or how he said it really. I think he should be sanctioned for it in some way.
That's not hate, it's a reasoned position that's not entirely favourable.

Status
Not open for further replies.