• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Floods

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Reg,

Sad to hear about the house, but as long as the family are all safe. Let us all know how we might be able to assist. Goes for anyone else experiencing difficulty.

Thankfully the inner north has avoided any flood activity but it is tough watching the struggle of so many. Going to be a long and tough few months ahead for a lot of people...

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
224276374.jpg

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Good Article on Bligh. She has been impressive. It also shadows my viewpoint of Gillard:

It is Bligh however who has become the embodiment of a whole state's resilience. To understand why, you only had to see her joint presser with Julia Gillard yesterday. The PM, while no doubt being sincere in wanting to help, and in her horror of the toll, nonetheless contrived to present as a poor actor playing at stateswoman. The cliched lines, seeming stale and overdone before they were halfway out of her mouth, contrasted poorly with Bligh's untutored but comprehensive delivery and unpolished appearance. Even the Premier seemed to be a million miles away while her senior colleague droned on and on. Go find the press conference on YouTube or ABC's iView if possible. You can almost see Bligh switch off as Gillard starts bloviating. She is far away, toting up casualties. Making lists of priorities. Assigning people and resources.

It is that sense of being 'real' that's lifted her up, I think. So often with politicians we know we are seeing only the performance, hearing only the 'line'. But Bligh with her bloodshot eyes, her exhaustion, and her unbroken will is no longer performing. She is not trying. She is doing. Her kung fu is strong.

Only thing they neglected to mention was the Bligh scoffed at Newman's suggestions and warnings a few months ago about this very possibility.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Good Article on Bligh. She has been impressive. It also shadows my viewpoint of Gillard:

Only thing they neglected to mention was the Bligh scoffed at Newman's suggestions and warnings a few months ago about this very possibility.

I have heard from someone in the public service that Bligh's husband (mid level public servant) wrote a flood report last year predicting that SEQ was going to flood in the way it has and recommending a whole range of measures. Story go's that his department applied for some sort of commonwealth funding but couldn't get enough to really change anything.

Can-Do has done a pretty good job I've though. Gillard tries to be reassuring but I still think Rudds performances on TV have been far more informative and sincere.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...risks-covered-up/story-e6frg6nf-1225986634328

More might come out about this in the aftermath:

"The flood immunity of properties is less than previously assessed. The average flood damages associated with flooding will be significantly higher. There are potential legal implications for council by allowing development to occur in higher-risk areas. As a minimum, developers and residents may need to be advised of the actual flood risk on their property," the study says. "All elements of the study have been subjected to independent peer review because the key findings have significant implications for council.

"The major finding of this study is that the calculated one-in-100-year design flood flow . . . is about 1m to 2m higher than the current development control in the Brisbane River corridor. The simple option of saying that the current development control level represents the one-in-100-year flood level is not valid."

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would imagine that once the worst of this is over that some questions will be asked about zoning in these built up areas. Now's probably not the time though...

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
People have been suggesting that the council will buy up alot of the badly flood affected properties, bulldoze them and turn them into parks or something of the like, in order to save on compensation next time this happens....

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It wouldn't be the worst idea. The only problem is where to put everyone. Cities tend to expand into these areas because the prime land is already taken. That's what happened in New Orleans, low lying land that used to be marshes got filled in and houses put on them. Guess which ones got washed away in Katrina.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It wouldn't be the worst idea. The only problem is where to put everyone. Cities tend to expand into these areas because the prime land is already taken. That's what happened in New Orleans, low lying land that used to be marshes got filled in and houses put on them. Guess which ones got washed away in Katrina.

Is there any space over there in perth?

But in all seriousness, Queensland needs a proper second city with a solid buisness base and the like. I'm tipping Gladstone to be the next large city. I'm not all that fond of the gold coast, to many southerners who have ventured north in search of a better life but have bought all there problems with them.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Is there any space over there in perth?

But in all seriousness, Queensland needs a proper second city with a solid buisness base and the like. I'm tipping Gladstone to be the next large city. I'm not all that fond of the gold coast, to many southerners who have ventured north in search of a better life but have bought all there problems with them.

It goes both ways on that one.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
People have been suggesting that the council will buy up alot of the badly flood affected properties, bulldoze them and turn them into parks or something of the like, in order to save on compensation next time this happens....

They wouldn't have enough money. looking at billions for that.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I believe that the BCC have tried to buy back properties that frequently flood before, and met with little success. Residents knew the risk and were still unwilling to sell to the council and move when given the opportunity. Things like this make the (if any) liability of the council a difficult problem.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fortunately nearly all my friends and family in Brisbane were unaffected. Sympathies to any affected and I hope for a speedy recovery / clean up / rebuild. Seeing the footage at times actually made me wish I was still living in Brisbane and could get out there and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.