• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I'd go with something like:

1. Toby Greenup
2. Josh Taylor
3. Bradley Undi
4. Callum Ball
5. Unknown
6. Justin Whatmore
7. PJ Van Den Berg
8. Mckenzie Browne
9. Jordan Lenac
10. Fred Dorrough
11. Ben Turnbull
12. Dylan Riley
13. Joey Fittock
14. Unknown
15. Tyler Campbell

Nice work.
I think Josh Neal, Cooper McKenzie, Jack Rogers & Jo Pincus could all be in the mix too.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Pleased the Leaguies that don't have their heart in it have moved along. Bad attitudes there it's a privilege to play for the first XV and you shouldn't be able to demand you play League for some club as well.

These schools are paying a significant amount of money for these scholarships, and giving these guys an education as well. If you don't want to play exclusively for them, piss off, they are paying >20000 for your signature.

Set the precedent that this is what's going to happen and people will just accept it. Prospective students and parents going for scholarships will be told up front that it's rugby or bust and this is what we've got to offer.

What's it hurt anyway when these kids are on deals to go to the Broncos etc etc after school? They can play rep RU for schoolboys, QLD etc if they feel there are not enough games for them.

alvin purple

Stan Wickham (3)
Just a short comment about boys coming in thinking they are owed something by the schools.

Most of the schools offering these scholarships have been around for more than 100 years &will be around for another 100.

Were as these people who have just turned up on the last Virgin flight with a bag full of self importance and start demanding this and that,they have to remember there is another flight on its way with more of the same on board.

So be humble and do as you are asked and you will gain respect from showing what you have to offer the school and the team.

Knockon

Bob McCowan (2)
Pleased the Leaguies that don't have their heart in it have moved along. Bad attitudes there it's a privilege to play for the first XV and you shouldn't be able to demand you play League for some club as well.

These schools are paying a significant amount of money for these scholarships, and giving these guys an education as well. If you don't want to play exclusively for them, piss off, they are paying >20000 for your signature.

Set the precedent that this is what's going to happen and people will just accept it. Prospective students and parents going for scholarships will be told up front that it's rugby or bust and this is what we've got to offer.

What's it hurt anyway when these kids are on deals to go to the Broncos etc etc after school? They can play rep RU for schoolboys, QLD etc if they feel there are not enough games for them.

Don't be too hard on these boys because they are still kids. The real problem I see here is the recruiting process a few of these schools have. I notice over the years that one school has it down pat hence the results in their program. If these boys are returning to league its because it was't made clear from start etc...

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
hi GPS thread below from AIC thread can anyone confirm?

xxxx said:
all iona A teams dominated lauries at Wynnum in trails today
15 - 5 in the 1st
was interested to watch the Lauries superstar 14A team that I have heard a bit about but the only players who stood out where iona forwards.
apparently the laureis team has lost about 6 boys to other schools scholarships? anyone know which schools have picked up these talents?

Bladerunner said:
IGS and Terrace I think

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Tangent here but Is it true that the Nudgee Terrace match used to be broadcast on TV? Why has this stopped? That kind of promotion is fantastic for schoolboy rugby and the game as a whole.

Also I would love to see the weekly highlights package come back this year, and thought it was detrimental to the competition that it disappeared last year.

The video helps to engage with a number of ex students (stakeholders) who like to see how their school is going each week and in my view is fantastic for the GPS community.

GPS rugby is already a semi professional competition with players being effectively given fringe benefits for playing through scholarships. Schools are happy to embrace this change but some don't want highlights? You can't have your cake and eat it too

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Tangent here but Is it true that the Nudgee Terrace match used to be broadcast on TV? Why has this stopped? That kind of promotion is fantastic for schoolboy rugby and the game as a whole.

Also I would love to see the weekly highlights package come back this year, and thought it was detrimental to the competition that it disappeared last year.

The video helps to engage with a number of ex students (stakeholders) who like to see how their school is going each week and in my view is fantastic for the GPS community.

GPS rugby is already a semi professional competition with players being effectively given fringe benefits for playing through scholarships. Schools are happy to embrace this change but some don't want highlights? You can't have your cake and eat it too

It was done at least once in 2000. Terrace sold the rights to finance a rugby tour.

I guess it was one and done as NC beat GT 66-0 as Rocky Elsom tore them apart scoring 4 tries and securing league and union contracts.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Does anyone know if it rated at all? I heard it was on FTA so it would have drawn 40-50k viewers on a Saturday afternoon probably

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Was on Optus pay tv C7 Sport.

Might have been on FTA back in the 70s or 80s etc but nothing since then.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)

I heard that the highlights stopped when First XV coaches complained that their set piece tries had been 'leaked' online.

The highlights were due to be released at the end of last season, but real life got in the way. Fingers crossed that a similar end of season highlights package can get released for 2014

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I heard that the highlights stopped when First XV coaches complained that their set piece tries had been 'leaked' online.

The highlights were due to be released at the end of last season, but real life got in the way. Fingers crossed that a similar end of season highlights package can get released for 2014

Given the majority of First XV coaches happily swap game tape with other schools I'm not sure how this is an issue.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Given the majority of First XV coaches happily swap game tape with other schools I'm not sure how this is an issue.

Just what I got told by @armatt whose company films the games..

armatt -> TheKing 9 months ago
Unfortunately we won't be able to throw up the video pieces this year - a few coaches have asked that that stuff be kept top secret 'til season's end, until we get to a point where all teams' content is shared, and publically viewable, equally.
We'll definitely do a mashup or similar come season's end, though!!

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
It's one thing to know a set piece is coming and is a completely different kettle of fish to stop it. For example the Reds backline move with Aidan Toua running an overs line was 'leaked' in the trial match against the Chiefs, week 1 against the Brumbies and they couldn't do squat to stop it

Also every Brumbies move involving getting the ball to Jessie Mogg and having him beat his man with pace on an overs line and score.

The thing that prevents you stopping the move is called 'pace'.

Also if one of the teams could use this move it would be great

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)

Whoa. Slow down.league boys have been coming to GPS schools for decades.what about IGS when they won their premierships in the 90s- with Broncos juniors ?
Get the facts straight. No league boy has left this year because they cannot play league during GPS season. One left because of love( huge huge loss for BBC) and one is back as a day boy and loving it( huge gain for BBC )

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
GPS trials are fast approaching, any ideas on the teams lists? If i'm correct each team is allowed to bring a 23 man squad to trial. Which team/s are looking at a solid start to the season?

Pools look abit like:
NC, GT, ACGS
IGS, TGS, BSHS
BGS, TSS, BBC

My bet:
Churchie
IGS
BBC

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
GPS trials are fast approaching, any ideas on the teams lists? If i'm correct each team is allowed to bring a 23 man squad to trial. Which team/s are looking at a solid start to the season?

Pools look abit like:
NC, GT, ACGS
IGS, TGS, BSHS
BGS, TSS, BBC

My bet:
Churchie
IGS
BBC

Group 2 does not look strong.but remember last year:TSS looked invincible : BSHS looked good and NC looked average- so I would not read too much into it.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)

Pools look abit like:
NC, GT, ACGS
IGS, TGS, BSHS
BGS, TSS, BBC

My bet:
Churchie
IGS
BBC
When are these on?

Status
Not open for further replies.