• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland GPS Burgers 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Well done to the Northgate kitchen staff. Great burger to complement a top-quality game.

Great thread by the way!
Would it be wrong to expand the thread to not only Queensland, but NSW and ACT Rugby?
Sort of like the ratings of the food that Rugby News did around the grounds in Sydney circa 1980. The Woodies Pie, The Norths Steak Sanga, The Roast Roll at Gordon.
Just a gourmet guide around the grounds.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Would it be wrong to expand the thread to not only Queensland, but NSW and ACT Rugby?
Sort of like the ratings of the food that Rugby News did around the grounds in Sydney circa 1980. The Woodies Pie, The Norths Steak Sanga, The Roast Roll at Gordon.
Just a gourmet guide around the grounds.

We would need to develop some sort of conference system.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Now we are approaching the business end of the season, it may be timely to review some of the business of the season.

I didn't get to as many venues as I would have liked to this season, but I got around to enough. I'd be interested in comments about Canteen, coffee and BBQ at the various venues.

I feel that the standards have dropped off somewhat from previous years (2008 was probably the season that this snout last attended nearly all Shute Shield ovals). Along with the quality of the BBQ (in particular), the service at canteen in many canteens has become more business production line like and less friendly, and at one not to be mentioned oval, the service was almost surly and food range very poor.

Knowing that the canteen and BBQ money is going to a good cause, I don't mind visiting the canteen and throwing some hard earned cash over the counter, but some clubs need to lift their game.

I tried to stimulate some discussion in the Shute Shield thread in relation to that Conference's BBQ. No takers so far.

My nominations for the Sydney Conferences are Coogee Oval (Shute Shield), John Dwyer - Burraneer (Sydney Juniors), Kings (NSW Schools).

T

tightfive

Well done to the Northgate kitchen staff. Great burger to complement a top-quality game.

Great thread by the way!

If you enjoyed a bucket of chips at BGS v TSS on Saturday you may have had them served up by a couple of former wallabies. Seen packing down over the deep frier were Greg cornelson - 4 tries against the all blacks in 1978 - most ever by an Aussie v NZ & Cameron Lillicrap - 7 caps and former Reds and Wallaby physio. Good to see the big men dishing up the best fries in the comp.

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
If you enjoyed a bucket of chips at BGS v TSS on Saturday you may have had them served up by a couple of former wallabies. Seen packing down over the deep frier were Greg cornelson - 4 tries against the all blacks in 1978 - most ever by an Aussie v NZ & Cameron Lillicrap - 7 caps and former Reds and Wallaby physio. Good to see the big men dishing up the best fries in the comp.
I've heard Crapper likes a burger or two himself.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
TSS easily the best chips in the comp. Churchie burgers were good a few years back but I've not had one this year... maybe I shouldn't.

I also had reports of a terrible burger at Downlands from a mate - he must have gotten unlucky? My burger from IGS on the weekend came in a plastic bag and didn't improve much from there. BBC I've found are pretty good. So too Nudgee. State High was ordinary.

Haven't sampled BGS recently enough to comment.

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
I personally like the bacon and egg burgers at BGS, but I had a dud one on the weekend. The IGS tuckshop is probably the best for variety of food, but they run out quickly with hot stuff.

G

Galloper95

Trumps go to one of the dads on burger duty at Terrace against Grammar for giving me 2 pieces of steak on my burger

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
Trumps go to one of the dads on burger duty at Terrace against Grammar for giving me 2 pieces of steak on my burger
Had lunch at the officials room at GT, more than disappointing. Only got warm steak and cold sausages. Pretty lousy.

G

Gingerbat

Saturday will be a decisive end to a season of closely fought hot food. I think BGS will go bacon & egg early, leaving NC with either the pattie or sausage in a roll decision. Both sides will push steak & onions early in the 2nd half, buns tightly packed.

This may come down to an extra slice of bacon at the end (or will Nudgee do the unthinkable and reach for the plastic cheese slices?)

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
Saturday will be a decisive end to a season of closely fought hot food. I think BGS will go bacon & egg early, leaving NC with either the pattie or sausage in a roll decision. Both sides will push steak & onions early in the 2nd half, buns tightly packed.

This may come down to an extra slice of bacon at the end (or will Nudgee do the unthinkable and reach for the plastic cheese slices?)
Think it would be suicide for the boys in butchers stripes going for the plastic cheese, might show their desperation right towards the end of the game with nothing to loose.

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
Just thought I would say the standard this season has dropped. The quality of the first two games (Northgate and BSHS) was disappointing. State High ran out of bacon and egg burgers by 10. Hoping Toowoomba can step up this year in the burgers this coming weekend. The alternative, a steak burger, was less than satisfactory - overpriced with stale bread. Very disappointing start to the season from both schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.