• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Premier Colts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
On a personal note I'm not returning to Coach Uni Colts for next year. Don't have the time required as I am doing some study and have to work.

I heard that John Dart has moved up from Colts to Premier grade at the GC. I think this will be great for them. He is a very deep thinker in regards to his rugby.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
No news on recruitment that I know of but am out of the loop. They will be very hungry after the last couple of years when Uni should have won at least 1 title.

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
The UQ web site mentions new Colt recruits Sam Reiser, Nick Malouf and Nathan Lennan. Joing Lennan with be fellow Darling Downs boys Ryan O'Connell (Downlands and QLD Schools 1 in 2010) and Kieran FitzGibbon (TGS and QLD U17 in 2010 - a number 7 and number 1 respectively.

Dan O'Leary (Downlands and Combined States 2010) is only a possibilityof moving to the Brisbane comp this year

T

TheTruth

The UQ web site mentions new Colt recruits Sam Reiser, Nick Malouf and Nathan Lennan. Joing Lennan with be fellow Darling Downs boys Ryan O'Connell (Downlands and QLD Schools 1 in 2010) and Kieran FitzGibbon (TGS and QLD U17 in 2010 - a number 7 and number 1 respectively.

Dan O'Leary (Downlands and Combined States 2010) is only a possibilityof moving to the Brisbane comp this year

Cox twins and Will Slipper (TSS boys from 2010) with GC

unsub god

Herbert Moran (7)
Some good looking backs turning up to Colts training at the Kennel. If the dogs can bolster they're tight five they will win their share this year.

Woopsie

Peter Burge (5)
How is everyone's trial form? I have heard today that Brothers got absolutely pumped by Jeeps and that the Brethren are struggling with numbers? Would be interested to hear something of Norths

unsub god

Herbert Moran (7)
Norths looking alright - touched up the dogs yesterday in Prem Colts. Appears they may have picked up a few players from the Bretheren ??

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Joe O'Regan, former Australian A schoolboy and Uni Prem colts hooker from last season, has returned to Norths to play. Joe is a Norths Junior and played at Uni while living at college. He is back at home this year and will add a lot to the Norths Colts team.

Sunnybank beat Uni in a trial on the weekend too. Not sure what you can read into trial form, especially at Colts level as most of the players haven't played together before. It will be an interesting year to follow.

W

WB15

Wests go touched up by norths on the weekend but had rested alot of there better players. But still credit to norths who look good this year i expect alot higher finish than last year.

Wests will be in contention for top five as they have clsoe to the backline in the comp and veryt oguh and physicla back five. There front row leaves is ok but no depth if injuries occurr to the forwards they are rooted. Hence the wrapping of players in cotton wool on the weekend

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I was at the GPS v Uni and GPS v Brothers Prem Colts matches over the past two weekends. GPS won both matches. Early season form is obviously a bit scratchy for all concerned. I thought Uni looked a bit show-ponylike, all class in the backs but the forwards were outplayed (apart from a good lineout). GPS were fairly workmanlike and unfashionable in both games. As for Brothers, they looked good in parts but I'm not sure that they've got too much depth this year. I don't know the scores but GPS won the Uni game by 3 points I think, and against Brothers it was about 5 or 6 tries to 2.

W

WB15

WB15, Welcome to the forum. Best backline in the comp is a big call. Brothers have most of the back line from last year including Stitt and Felsman.
Sunny Bank have Hunt and Co, GPS Milne etc etc.
It is good for QLD rugby if West can produce a good Colts out fit. They have promised a lot over recent years and depth, Injury and Premier grade duties have taxed them.
They have a good support group for the colts with the heart of Wests Dave Moller and The Magnificent Golds. Dom Rassini the coach has a lot of abillity.
Once again I think depth will hurt them. They need success to recruit and in recent years there has been little success.

I think what is good about there backline is that it is full of solid players with a handful of stars. However there stars are relatively unknown players. Billy Hayed the fullback is nts from sydney was originally brought p by uni but they apparently back out of there deal so he went to the club of his father. Apparently could have played Aus schools bu didnt go to trials as to focus on his schooling. But reds academy have been enquiring about him. Other players include Billy Gilroy a kid currently goign to JPC but was with harlequins youth in england last year. But the rest of the backline are still fantastic gps firsts players to

The staff is fantastic as said but yes if they injury curse hits there tight five they have limited quality stocks.

D

Doc

Looking at the team lists getting around and coaching appointments, I really can't see a change in the usual suspects.

Uni, SB, Coast, GPS and maybe the filth will challenge, with Easts being a smokey. The others will have there moments for sure but at this stage I can't see them challenging. I do think the gap is closing though and some of the clubs that have struggled in recent years (eg wests and norths) have improved their recruiting classes.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
WB15, Welcome to the forum. Best backline in the comp is a big call. Brothers have most of the back line from last year including Stitt and Felsman.

Sam Grasso, Blaine Miller, Harry Boangers and the goal kicking winger Dwyer have all left or moved into grades havent they? Plus you would think as a second year reds academy player Felsman should be playing mainly premier grade. Which only really leaves the talented Stitt and maybe another winger to return for brothers. Although with Zane Hilton at the recruiting helm over the past few years i am sure they will have alot of kids to fill those spots

Woopsie

Peter Burge (5)
Has a coaching change occurred already at Crosby Rd? ex Jeeps lower grade coach is now listed as Prem Colts coach!! WTF?

W

WB15

Anyone know anything about the sunny bank colts this year. Stand out players style of play?
Is it as star studded of team as last year?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Stephen Hunt and Liam Law will be running around for the bank this year. I am not to sure if they have many players back from last year as most of them progressed up to grade rugby. It will be an interesting Round 1 game at the Kennel. Think I will have to have a look.

W

WB15

wests will ahev thre work cut out small forward pack but very fit and mobile if they can match the sunnybank forwards there back shave the attacking prowess and defence to win

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am looking forward to seeing this Wests backline. You have talked them up quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.