• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scotty said:
Houston off the bench could really cause some damage, but he deserves to be starting still.

Houston is pretty critical to their team for mine. He and Ioane are the two freak dynamic athletes who break tackles, get go forward and offloads going.

F

formeropenside

naza said:
Scotty said:
Houston off the bench could really cause some damage, but he deserves to be starting still.

Houston is pretty critical to their team for mine. He and Ioane are the two freak dynamic athletes who break tackles, get go forward and offloads going.

Maybe we could tell Houston Mooney hid a cheeseburger behind the opposition goalposts just before the game, and watch him set off on rampaging charges upfield.

P

PhucNgo

PhucNgo said:
Blue said:
Well I hadn't watched my recording of the Stormers game yet until today (due to an excessive amount of gardening this weekend to pay for my so called "excessive" amount of time spent on things related to rugby).

Thoroughly impressed by the Reds. Grant it, the Stormers went to sleep for a bit around the 60th minute but past Reds teams would already have given up. The stepped up and took advantage of their opportunities. As playmaker, Cooper is ahead of the pack at the moment. Barnes was generally anonymous, allthough I don't think he would have slipped the tackle which Fainga'a did which lead to the Nacqelavuki (sp) try).

The Reds T5 competed well in the set pieces (against one of the weaker S T5's it has to be said).

Also thought Braid lead from the front in those last 20 mins.

Someone mentioned that hey thought Lucas' service was slow? I thought he read the game well and cleared pretty well too.

I suddenly look forward to the Reds Tahs game at the SFS. It cannot be worse than the same game played two years ago which was a shocker (the highlight was watching Dunning doing his "touch, pause, engage the goal posts" routine before the match).

Anyone traveling to Brisbane thinking they have points in the bank could be in for a surprise.

Quite agree Blue. Like you I didn't watch the Reds/Stormers match until last night. Watched it with the impression that the Stormers ran up a lead and then went to sleep. That's not what I saw tho. The Reds were dominant in the first half and unlucky to conceded some soft tries, due, basically to their lack of attention to defence, which let them down. Once they've got this nailed tho they're going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Horwill and MMM coming back into their forwards should provide a good platform going forward. Speaking of which, does Higinbotham play no. 8? If he does, and he should because he looks like the second coming of Mark Loane, a back 5 of Braid, Van, Horwill, MMM and Higinbotham at the back would be HUGE.

Gees Nod, I like the way you're thinkin'. And I know I've been banging on about the similarities b/w Higginbotham and Loane, and I don't want to tell Queenslanders about their Rugby history etc.etc.. BUT, if you can get your hands on some footage of THAT game in 1979 when the Reds rolled the Tahs 48 to 10, you'll see some classic Loane. It must have been the game where he got the nickname of "The train without a station", and the game has been (self) described as the game which heralded the resurgence of Queensland Rugby (seeing the similarities?). But I digress. Anyway, my point is, the way that Higginbotham tore through the Sharks on Saturday was very reminiscent of the way Loane tore the Tahs a new one that day.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
well if Disco's happy, I'm happy.

LoJo! :lmao: nice.

One of the Browns? Caleb or Andrew?
I hear that Andrew Brown turned out for Qld Uni the other week. Can anyone confirm?

S

Spook

Can someone explain how Houston is so unfit? It's a joke. He's a number 8 FFS.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Spook said:

Queensland have a bloke who is 120 kgs and makes an impact. ACT have a 98 kg bloke who adds nothing to the team but plays the full 80. I know which I'd rather have.

He's quality prime Australian developed beef. His competitive streak was finely honed at the dinner table competing for food against his 4 brothers and 3 sisters. He's huge !! He's massive !! Number 8 should be a grafter free zone.

S

Spook

naza said:
Spook said:

Queensland have a bloke who is 120 kgs and makes an impact. ACT have a 98 kg bloke who adds nothing to the team but plays the full 80. I know which I'd rather have.

He's quality prime Australian developed beef. His competitive streak was finely honed at the dinner table competing for food against his 4 brothers and 3 sisters. He's huge !! He's massive !! Number 8 should be a grafter free zone.

Houston had a HUGE 40 minutes but I'd rather see 60 minutes out of him as would all rational people. We he gets to that point, Palu will probably be demoted.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
naza said:
Spook said:

Houston had a HUGE 40 minutes but I'd rather see 60 minutes out of him as would all rational people. We he gets to that point, Palu will probably be demoted.

At the moment he is like Palu of a couple of years ago, overweight and not fit enough.

Palu had an epiphany two years ago, got fit and lost about 10kgs and since then has been immense for the Tahs and Aus.

Housten has the model, he just has to put in the effort.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Palu immense for Oz? When was that?

Over the last two years he has been excellent, even when playing with one shoulder for a long time.

He takes a numbers of defenders to stop him each time, has soft good hands and he is powerful in defence for 80 minutes. He is what I want to see from an 8.

S

Spook

fatprop said:
Spook said:
Palu immense for Oz? When was that?

Over the last two years he has been excellent, even when playing with one shoulder for a long time.

He takes a numbers of defenders to stop him each time, has soft good hands and he is powerful in defence for 80 minutes. He is what I want to see from an 8.

I think he's our best option (by a long way) but I've not seen him dominate a game like he has at S14 level for the Tahs (and he bombed a try in the Sloe). Maybe this year. I hope his injuries don't force him out.

BTW, I thought the draw and pass Houston made after his bust was superb.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
BTW, I thought the draw and pass Houston made after his bust was superb.

Especially when you compare it to the earlier dog from Higgers - who had two to choose from, but didn't bother looking at either. Coincidently Higgers break was also set up by Houston.

T

TOCC

number 8's dont really grow into there positions until 22-23 anyway, it takes that long to develop the sheer physical strength required

Good to see Houston re-sign, i always wondered whether he would prefer to return back to NSW

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
number 8's dont really grow into there positions until 22-23 anyway, it takes that long to develop the sheer physical strength required

Good to see Houston re-sign, i always wondered whether he would prefer to return back to NSW

With Palu at the Tahs, it makes good sense for him to stay where he is.

S

Spook

As Naza said, the Brumbies need a bigger backrow. Maybe Kimlin will get the ball over the advantage line.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
its amazing the change in Cliffey. He was fat (not quite Leroy fat) a couple of years ago, but pudgy. He looks a very lean athlete these days. The Tahs need a massive pat on the back for turning him around.

F

formeropenside

Queensland coach challenges young hooker Saia Fainga'a to make his mark
By Marco Monteverde
April 07, 2009 Queensland coach Phil Mooney has challenged raw Reds hooker Saia Fainga'a to stand up and be counted against a tough Highlanders pack in Saturday's Super 14 encounter in Invercargill.

Restricted to bench cameos since moving from Canberra to Brisbane in the off-season, Fainga'a will make his first Super 14 start for the Reds if regular hooker Sean Hardman fails to overcome a knee injury.

Hardman was to have scans to determine the extent of damage to knee ligaments, and seems at long odds to play.

Mooney said if there was ever a match to test the credentials of Fainga'a, this was it.

"To be honest, the game will be a pretty good litmus test for him," the Reds mentor said.

"The Highlanders have a very good pack, so it's his opportunity to say 'I deserve to be selected'.

"It is a big test but that's what footy's about - getting an opportunity."

Fainga'a, 22, came to the Reds in search of a starting spot, and there will be particular focus on his lineout throwing on Saturday.

In his favour will be the almost certain return of fit-again Wallaby prop Greg Holmes, whose experience will be needed against the Highlanders' talented front row.

Hardman, renowned for his displeasure at having to sit out matches, was holding on to the slim chance he would be available.

"I did feel a clunk there when I hurt the knee but hopefully it is not too bad," he said.

Mooney said Hardman was no stranger to playing through pain.

"So if it's nothing serious with his ligaments, he could be right," Mooney said.

The Reds are desperate for redemption after last Friday night's embarrassing 39-7 loss to the Western Force in Perth.

"This is a test of character now and a massive challenge for us," Mooney said.

"But one thing I do know about this group is that there is plenty of character in it and this weekend is an opportunity to show that.

"The reality is we're going to New Zealand to play a very good side.

"We need to bounce back and show other people (our character)."

Not what I hoped for from the heading...I was hoping that Mooney was going to ditch Finger and start Hanson. Fainga'a has had a pile of chances - a fair few half games - and sure hasn't looked remotely like impressing in any of them. Useless southern dreck.

The Fainga'a twins have been the poorest acquisition by any State this year. I think Moore was leaving anyway, and the signing had nothing to do with it, but if it did, then double stupid.

The only good news is that Hardman might be OK.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree re Saia. But I think Anthony has looked ok given his restricted opportunities.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Saia Fainga'a plays hooker like a mediocre loose forward, Anthony plays 12 like a mediocre loose forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.