• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

This year is over; lets look ahead to 2009 for the still-struggling Reds. EDITED with thanks to Scotty

Losses: Chris Latham (UK), Ed O'Donoghue (Ulster), Clinton Schifcofske (Ulster), David Croft (retired early), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Geoff Abram (dropped), Lloyd Johansson (Japan?), Sam Cordingley (back to France), Chris Siale (released)

Suspected Losses: Rodney Blake (France) [although Greg Martin was confident of keeping in the call of the Reds game], Henari Veratau [surely], Andrew Walker [does not fit Mooney's youth policy], Turinui [depends on ARU top-up], Van H, John Roe [both have a year to run on their contract, but so did Crofty]

Acquisitions: Fainga'a twins [a waste], Adam Byrnes (NSW), Blair Connor (Brisbane Norths), Ben Lucas (Reds Academy), probably Luafutu and Higginbotham.

More to come.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Any word on whether John Roe will be running around for the Reds next year? Any announcement on Cinderella yet?

Will Damon Emtage be retained as the backs coach next year?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I hate to say it, but Morgan has turned me around. I would say that right now he is Qld #1 priority. We need him to keep the yungins inline

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agree Sully. Sad loss.

Rodney Blake (France) [although Greg Martin was confident of keeping in the call of the Reds game],

yeah? Did Dan Crowley's words hit home?

I'd like to hear about the signings of Rodney Davies and David Pocock very soon.

I reckon Doc Roe will do a Crofty any time now.

F

formeropenside

Pulled this from news.com.au - the list of Reds departures over the past couple of years. It also claims the QRU has said Rodzilla is leaving.

Noddy - Martin's thoery was based more on Rodzilla loving Brisbane lifestyle and having family members around.

I'll add my comments to the list

Chris Latham (Worcester) 109 - irreplaceable. Can Hynes or Va'aulu step up, or might Barnes go to 15?
Clinton Schifcofske (Ulster) 22 - form was tailing off, and hopefully Lucas can kick goals. Finding a long-range kicker might be nice too.
Ben Tune (Retired) 98 - left in 2007
Julian Huxley (Brumbies) 32 - forced out by crazy Eddie
Drew Mitchell (Western Force) 35 - no loss; I'd rather hae Hynes myself anyway. Too flaky.
Elton Flatley (Retired) 84 - 2006 loss.
Sam Cordingley (Grenoble) 50 - Ben Lucas and Genia to fight over the slot, with Nic Berry hovering over in France
Mitchell Chapman (Brumbies) 28 - left in disgust at Eddie, about a week too early to see Eddie get booted
David Croft (Retired) 94 - Irreplacable. I'd love to see Deans pick him for the Wallabies: as a fetcher he outplayer Waugh all night.
Tom McVerry (Japan-Italy) 44 - left after 2007. Solid bench 6-7-8 journeyman.
Mark Connors (Retired) 88 - left in 2007
Ed O'Donoghue (Ulster) 21 - Did not have as good a year as last year. Mooney did not appear to have much confidence in him.
Rodney Blake (France) 36 - A big loss.
Stephen Moore (Brumbies) 47 - Still dirty about this. Fainga'a is no replacement.
Anthony Mathison (Retired) 24 - Retired after 2007, when he did not play a game due to injury. We could always use another THP and he looked good.
Total Super caps - 866 Average - 58
In doubt - Morgan Turinui (71), John Roe (82), Van Humphries (45)

Apparently Morgs staying is dependent on an ARU top-up, I suspect Roe may retire after a succssion of shoulder injuries (a shame) and Van I think could definately stay another year. I would trade him for Vickerman but not for any other second row running about in oz rugby.

Likely 2009 team (plus current age and Super caps) - according to news.com.au anyway.
Peter Hynes (26) 55
Brando Va'aulu (21) 18
Blair Connor (19) 0
Berrick Barnes (21) 34
Digby Ioane (22) 27
Quade Cooper (20) 22
Ben Lucas (20) 10
Leroy Houston (21) 13
Tasi Luafutu (20) 9
Scott Higginbotham (21) 5
Hugh McMeniman (24) 21
James Horwill (22) 39
Dayna Edwards (22) 12
Saia Fainga'a (21) 27
Greg Holmes (24) 34
Average age - 21.6yrs. Average caps - 22

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Great list former. Pretty scary though.....

Average age - 21.6yrs. Average caps - 22

The key is now to keep the good young ones. Average age of 22 is very very young, but the fact there is an average of 2 seasons worth of games means they at least have some experience.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
For the Reds the only ideal situation is to keep Van Humphries and Turinuri and sign Pocock. Adam Byrnes is hopefully an O'Donoghue replacement and not Van Humphries. Blake I think is as good as gone, I believe the French club trumpeted his signing a while back.

Ideally, the pack might be:
1. Holmes
2. Hardman / Fainga'a
3. Edwards
4. Horwill
5. McMeniman (replaced by Van Humphries once he crocks himself two games in)
6. Roe
7. Pocock
8. Houston

Can't see it happening though.

Backs:
9. Lucas
10. Cooper
11. Brown (over Va'aulu)
12. Barnes
13. Turinuri
14. Ioane
15. Hynes

Bench would be Genia, Connor, Va'aulu.

Can't see it happening either.

Reds are screwed for next year.

My gloomy prediction for next year:
Roe retires, Van Humphries goes to Japan, Pocock stays at the Force, MMM crocked before the season starts, Blake goes to France, Turinuri goes to somewhere in Europe. Reds suffer with a lack of composure and woeful kicking from the back 3 (Ioane and Va'aulu both can't kick). Tasi fails as a fetcher in Croft's shadow. The Reds midfield defence is carved up, especially around the 13 channel and out wide. Barnes departs to the Force or Brumbies at the years end, MMM goes to Japan on a Heenan pension. The only thing Cooper develops is a bigger ego.

Wooden spoon. :'(

Red Bull

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just regarding Roey, I was speaking to a long time Wests 1st grader on the weekend, who also happens to be a close mate of Roey's, and he said that Roe will definitely retire and not go around another year, as he's got the shits with the whole scene, and doesn't want to put his aging body through the hoops for another year. So Scotty, Ash, Nod and the rest of you are correct in your predictions there. Seems a shame to lose another veteran, especially as it whittles away at our already wafer thin depth. Having said that, Roey probably has shown a noticeable decline over the past season or 2, so if it gives a younger fella a crack at the big time, then that's gotta be a good thing.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Adam Byrnes from the NSW Academy going to the Reds? I missed that - bloody poachers - you Queenslanders have no idea what it's like losing the players you develop.

I watched him for NSW A this year and for Easts and he's looking OK. He would have had a chance for a NSW rookie contract with Vickerman leaving but now it looks like Mumm and Caldwell, will be the locks more or less permanently. If Elsom is leaving Mumm would be needed at 6. There aren't too many other decent locks in the city except halflings.

Chris Thompson was the other professional lock in the NSW Academy so he would be the next cab off the rank. He's tall timber but skinny and plays like it. Siviteni Mafi, who was at school last year is tall and skinny also, but more athletic and comfortable with the ball around the park than is Thompson on his best day. Equate Mafi with a younger version of Sam Wykes. Same haircut too.

Rod Davies? I thought the 2006 schoolboy went to league - or is he back? I rate Aidan Toua from last year's Oz Schools team higher than Davies, but he is a year younger.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
bloody poachers - you Queenslanders have no idea what it's like losing the players you develop.
No we would have no idea about that would we. ::) :lmao: :thumb Stirrer!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lee - Rod Davies was set to go to the Broncos, but turned his back on them for the Reds when he heard that Latham was off to Worcester. He backs himself to be the number 1 Reds full back within a few years...I don't, and I doubt others do, too. He wouldn't have done that well at the Broncos, either. They are swimming in decent young fullbacks / wings / centres at the moment.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hey? Davies has been with the Broncs for a couple of years. But they are cutting players to pay for Falou

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Any chance of seeing Leon Bott return to Union? He was going to be the next star at the Broncos, but has fallen away a bit.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Noddy said:
hey? Davies has been with the Broncs for a couple of years. But they are cutting players to pay for Falou

D'oh. I thought he turned his back on the Broncos before Falou? (I didn't know he was already there though.) I could've sworn I heard he decided to switch because of Latham leaving as it was said Davies was switching a few months back, around the start of the S14.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee Grant said:
Rod Davies? I thought the 2006 schoolboy went to league - or is he back? I rate Aidan Toua from last year's Oz Schools team higher than Davies, but he is a year younger.

Watched him playing league on TV a few weeks ago actually Lee. Very quick, but I'm not sure league allows him to showcase his talents fully. Would not be surprised at all to see him back with rugby.

Like everyone, I hope we can retain Turinui and some of the older heads, but the other priority is to retain current talent. The likes of Tapuai, Slipper, Toua, Schatz and Morahan are all in the Academy and have a ton of talent. Most have now played a game or two of Premier rugby and acquitted themselves well. Both Morahan and Toua have played fullback for their premier teams this year and may be viable options sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.