• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brokendown gunfighter

Noddy said:
turban, check out today's Australian.

Pocock has signed a 2 year deal with the Force,confirmed by the club today

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Mooney should of held out for Moore, I don't think he had made up his mind to leave the Reds until they announced that the Fainga'a twins had been signed.

Once Horwill was given the captaincy, Moore looked like he was enjoying his rugby again & was actually playing better than ever.

Moore leaving is a real kick in the guts for me. But I understand Mooney doing what he did, Moore wouldn't commit to another contract & at the time Moore seemed to be sulking a bit.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
As a Waratah supporter, I am not happy to see Qld rugby being decimated. I think the old adage about a strong Qld being important for Aus rugby still holds true to a degree.

Couldn't agree more pedallist. Having lived in Brisbane years ago and enjoyed winter hospitality at Ballymore (I was there for the 42-4 and the 48-10 thrashings of the Tahs in the 70s. Ouch!), it pains me deeply to see one of the Oz teams do so poorly. Something seems to be seriously wrong at the heart of Red rugby, and I sincerely hope it's found and fixed. Quickly. We desparately need the older rep teams to be strong and stable while the Force establishes itself. I'd die a happy man after reading about Queensland's most successful season: winning the Super title after losing to the Tahs. Those north of the Tweed really have to get their priorities in order.

Generous platitudes aside, can't wait till we thrash those drpQs in Sydney next year.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
OK, I need a little rant here, just to let it out, then we'll go back to business as usual.

But, here is what's wrong with Q rugby if you ask me: the 48-10 Club.

http://www.qru.com.au/qru/qru.rugby/page/62653

All I can say is: "get over it, people". Move on. As long as Qers are driven by provincial resentment, they will continue to fail to enter the professional era. The Waratahs' arch rivals are the Crusaders. Even when we were losing to Q every year, we had our eyes on the big picture. I could never understand how Reds fans could tolerate their side coming 10th, but smashing the Tahs, because that was the one week they were up for it.

The Wallabies have had long periods with Q captains, coaches, administrators, and yet it's somehow still always the fault of those devils down south who once picked someone ahead of someone else.

On the bright side, until Link McKenzie, the Waratahs were a bunch of nappy-wearing breast feeders who brought repeated disgrace to the Sky Blue. Which, incidentally, is why I never regretted Matt Burke getting the boot: he captained us to SuperRugby's biggest ever loss and it's biggest ever choke. At least the NSW experience shows how a team culture can completely change in 2-3 years with the right people on board.

But I really think the fans of Q rugby could help the situation by redirecting their energy towards getting professional management, geared around performace not pride.

We now return you to our scheduled program.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The Waratahs' arch rivals are the Crusaders. Even when we were losing to Q every year, we had our eyes on the big picture. I could never understand how Reds fans could tolerate their side coming 10th, but smashing the Tahs, because that was the one week they were up for it.

I don't think the normal Reds fan tolerates coming 10th or so because they beat the Tahs. But when we are coming near last, it is about the only thing we can hold onto.

I would have been just as happy beating the Saders this year though.

F

formeropenside

Scarfman said:
OK, I need a little rant here, just to let it out, then we'll go back to business as usual.

But, here is what's wrong with Q rugby if you ask me: the 48-10 Club.

http://www.qru.com.au/qru/qru.rugby/page/62653

All I can say is: "get over it, people". Move on. As long as Qers are driven by provincial resentment, they will continue to fail to enter the professional era. The Waratahs' arch rivals are the Crusaders. Even when we were losing to Q every year, we had our eyes on the big picture. I could never understand how Reds fans could tolerate their side coming 10th, but smashing the Tahs, because that was the one week they were up for it.

The Wallabies have had long periods with Q captains, coaches, administrators, and yet it's somehow still always the fault of those devils down south who once picked someone ahead of someone else.

On the bright side, until Link McKenzie, the Waratahs were a bunch of nappy-wearing breast feeders who brought repeated disgrace to the Sky Blue. Which, incidentally, is why I never regretted Matt Burke getting the boot: he captained us to SuperRugby's biggest ever loss and it's biggest ever choke. At least the NSW experience shows how a team culture can completely change in 2-3 years with the right people on board.

But I really think the fans of Q rugby could help the situation by redirecting their energy towards getting professional management, geared around performace not pride.

We now return you to our scheduled program.

As I have said before, if we ever lose that, we wont be Queenslanders anymore, just poor Australians like the rest of you.

"Good to be Australian, better to be a Queenslander" - Peter Slattery.

Sure, I'd like Queensland to be top of the table. AND beat NSW. But choosing between them...I'd need the wisdom of Solomon and I'm still not sure I'd get it right.

Whats the point of being a Qld rugby fan - winning (another) Super title, being the top Australian team, getting players into the Wallabies over other teams, developing players for other teams to poach, or just helping make Australian rugby strong?

There must be problems behind the scenes in Qld rugby; the inability to get Pocock to come home shows that. Still, he had his chance and now I hope he enjoys life in the West, because I dont want him sniffing around in a few years time. Yes, thats passion talking, not professionalism.

Finally - and how often have the Tahs beaten the Saders? Not very often I think. It seems a bit rich to say that they are NSW's arch-rivals; I certainly wonder if the Crusaders see it the same way.

T

Turban

I could never understand how Reds fans could tolerate their side coming 10th, but smashing the Tahs, because that was the one week they were up for it.

Because the fans determine the outcome of the teams season amiright? :nta:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
formeropenside said:
Finally - and how often have the Tahs beaten the Saders? Not very often I think. It seems a bit rich to say that they are NSW's arch-rivals; I certainly wonder if the Crusaders see it the same way.

At least once in Christchurch which is more times than many. Won a few on our home turf too. At present its the only game in town :)

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
formeropenside said:

At least once in Christchurch which is more times than many. Won a few on our home turf too. At present its the only game in town :)

How soon they forget eh Nick ? We'll give them one to remember.

2008 - Year of the Tahs !!

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
formeropenside said:
As I have said before, if we ever lose that, we wont be Queenslanders anymore, just poor Australians like the rest of you.

Sure, I'd like Queensland to be top of the table. AND beat NSW. But choosing between them...I'd need the wisdom of Solomon and I'm still not sure I'd get it right.

Whats the point of being a Qld rugby fan - winning (another) Super title, being the top Australian team, getting players into the Wallabies over other teams, developing players for other teams to poach, or just helping make Australian rugby strong?

There must be problems behind the scenes in Qld rugby; the inability to get Pocock to come home shows that. Still, he had his chance and now I hope he enjoys life in the West, because I dont want him sniffing around in a few years time. Yes, thats passion talking, not professionalism.

Call me crazy, but do you reckon these two things are linked?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cutter said:
formeropenside said:

Call me crazy, but do you reckon these two things are linked?

You are not crazy ... and they are linked.

A few Queenslanders will be along soon to tell you that (1) you are crazy (2) these two things are not linked. Pocock staying in Perth is a New South Wales plot, don't ya know?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rodney Davies all set to sign apparently. Yeehaah. We could do with his experience...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We should just try and get a full under 21's team on the park next year. We are going to go pretty close.

F

formeropenside

Actually, I really hope we have signed Dayna Edwards onto a full contract for the next few years, not just an academy one.

His scrummaging appeared to get worse as the season went on, although perhaps it was a case of Holmes making him look good and Coutts making him look bad. With Blake gone though we need a frontline THP, which Daley is not as yet.

Also, on the prop front I believe that both Coutts and Hunt have their contracts up this year. Coutts was unimpressive for mine, and Hunt out of favour, but I dont know that there are many other options in Premier rugby. Certainly no one shone in the MARC.

Actually - Noddy, do you know what happened to Gavin Warren?

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
former, good point re Abram. I guess we are still after Tomeki.

Abram is not taking my advice; he's playing outside centre for Wests again this weekend (after scoring two tries in a defeated team last week).

I suppose if Morgs goes then thats a 13 slot opening up, as Siale has been cut too I understand (but he is currently playing for Uni in Premier rugby still, so perhaps he will stay in Qld and tough it out - good for him).

That leaves Hynes, Ioane, Fainga'a, Fetoai and Va'aulu (and maybe Caleb Brown?) as the outside backs in the squad, by my count.

Status
Not open for further replies.