• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
formeropenside said:
Pulled this from news.com.au - the list of Reds departures over the past couple of years. It also claims the QRU has said Rodzilla is leaving.

Noddy - Martin's thoery was based more on Rodzilla loving Brisbane lifestyle and having family members around.

I'll add my comments to the list

Chris Latham (Worcester) 109 - irreplaceable. Can Hynes or Va'aulu step up, or might Barnes go to 15?
Clinton Schifcofske (Ulster) 22 - form was tailing off, and hopefully Lucas can kick goals. Finding a long-range kicker might be nice too.
Ben Tune (Retired) 98 - left in 2007
Julian Huxley (Brumbies) 32 - forced out by crazy Eddie
Drew Mitchell (Western Force) 35 - no loss; I'd rather hae Hynes myself anyway. Too flaky.
Elton Flatley (Retired) 84 - 2006 loss.
Sam Cordingley (Grenoble) 50 - Ben Lucas and Genia to fight over the slot, with Nic Berry hovering over in France
Mitchell Chapman (Brumbies) 28 - left in disgust at Eddie, about a week too early to see Eddie get booted
David Croft (Retired) 94 - Irreplacable. I'd love to see Deans pick him for the Wallabies: as a fetcher he outplayer Waugh all night.
Tom McVerry (Japan-Italy) 44 - left after 2007. Solid bench 6-7-8 journeyman.
Mark Connors (Retired) 88 - left in 2007
Ed O'Donoghue (Ulster) 21 - Did not have as good a year as last year. Mooney did not appear to have much confidence in him.
Rodney Blake (France) 36 - A big loss.
Stephen Moore (Brumbies) 47 - Still dirty about this. Fainga'a is no replacement.
Anthony Mathison (Retired) 24 - Retired after 2007, when he did not play a game due to injury. We could always use another THP and he looked good.
Total Super caps - 866 Average - 58
In doubt - Morgan Turinui (71), John Roe (82), Van Humphries (45)

Apparently Morgs staying is dependent on an ARU top-up, I suspect Roe may retire after a succssion of shoulder injuries (a shame) and Van I think could definately stay another year. I would trade him for Vickerman but not for any other second row running about in oz rugby.

Likely 2009 team (plus current age and Super caps) - according to news.com.au anyway.
Peter Hynes (26) 55
Brando Va'aulu (21) 18
Blair Connor (19) 0
Berrick Barnes (21) 34
Digby Ioane (22) 27
Quade Cooper (20) 22
Ben Lucas (20) 10
Leroy Houston (21) 13
Tasi Luafutu (20) 9
Scott Higginbotham (21) 5
Hugh McMeniman (24) 21
James Horwill (22) 39
Dayna Edwards (22) 12
Saia Fainga'a (21) 27
Greg Holmes (24) 34
Average age - 21.6yrs. Average caps - 22

My Dad flew from NSW to QLD to watch Reds v Tahs and before the game dropped in at Mitch Chapman's parents house.

Exactly the reason he left the Reds(Mitchell was there) it's a shame but one day I hope to see him become a Wallaby certainly a talent.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Scarfman said:
Loving the insider's view, Aussie. You're not David Nucifora's son are you ?
Nah,

Haha my dad is very involved with Schoolboy rugby. Coached CHS and best mates with ex Australian Schoolboys Assistant from 2-3 seasons ago. Chapman played cricket for North Sydney which is my cricket club and my dad is high up in terms of positioning there.

He played first grade rugby and cricket though and played in the losing side to the Ella's in the Waratah Shield Final over 20 years ago still keeps in touch a little with those Matraville blokes I suppose.

I go to Kings though so he also get's the other view. Knowing the junior system quite well myself playing with blokes and against etc in a variety of rep teams.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
My high school - NSBHS - played Matraville Boys a lot in the early 80s. It was fucking scary. You'd make the bus trip down south (felt like a million miles in those days before I lived in Maroubra). These kids would punch each other up for a while then line up against us.

We tended to beat them, though. Grabbed a Waratah Shield along the way. Ah, the glory days.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Just noticed in your profile we are the same age.

I hope you're not one of the nasty boys that used to pull my pigtails?

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
boo hoo, apparently Pocock is staying out west. The disloyal bastard. :angryfire:

maybe Croftie will unretire now. we are kind of screwed for a quality 7 otherwise.

then again, having Croft running around for Brothers in Premier Rugby will give a lot of young players some very hard lessons to learn, and some might come good as a result

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scarfman said:

Just noticed in your profile we are the same age.

I hope you're not one of the nasty boys that used to pull my pigtails?
No, but grew up in the area, brother went there. A couple of mates of mine were at Sydney High, good footy players, and tell some great stories playing Matraville, Cleveland St etc... Said it made GPS footy look positively genteel!! Your story sounded a lot like those they told me.

T

Turban

Noddy said:
boo hoo, apparently Pocock is staying out west. The disloyal bastard. :angryfire:

Can you provide a link before I crack the champagne and excitedly text all my mates?

F

formeropenside

On LoJo's exit:

Red outcast Lloyd Johnansson to resurrect career in Italy
Peter Badel
May 18, 2008 12:00am

LLOYD Johansson played for the Wallabies before his 21st birthday and scored with his second touch in the Test arena. But now his future is all but over.

The out-of-favour Reds centre has opted to resurrect his career in Italy.

Johansson's Gold Coast Breakers club coach John Boe said his charge's impending departure was a sad footnote to a career that oozed potential when Johansson made his Wallabies debut at 20.

But Johansson's struggles this season ? he has not appeared in a single minute of Super 14 action ? convinced the 106kg wrecking ball it was time for an offshore challenge.

Much has been made of the host of stars being lost to Queensland rugby at season's end, headed by David Croft, Clinton Schifcofske, Chris Latham, Rodney Blake, Sam Cordingley and Stephen Moore.

Johansson's name has barely rated a mention in the exodus, but Boe said the 23-year-old's loss was one Australian rugby could ill-afford.

"I just think from an Australian rugby point of view, it's a shame we're losing a guy of his talent," Boe said.

"Lloyd is still so young and physically talented. I would love to see him get back to the Wallabies but I don't know if that will be the case.

"We've already seen a few Queensland guys lost to the Reds and achieve success elsewhere but it's just very disappointing to think a guy of Lloyd's age and ability decides he wants to go elsewhere.

"If you go to Italy or Japan you won't further yourself. The rugby is not as strong as the Super 14.

"It's highly unlikely Lloyd will play Super 14 or for the Wallabies again. I sincerely hope he does make it back, but once you go to Italy or Japan the odds are against you."

Johansson did not return calls but it is understood he will leave for Italy in the next four weeks.

The part-Tongan, part-Swedish centre looked destined for a long international career when handed his first Wallabies cap against the All Blacks in 2005. Pitchforked into a Bledisloe Cup pressure-cooker in Auckland, Johansson was on the field just two minutes before he crossed for his maiden Test try.

But the Breakers brute's last two years in Queensland have been a virtual write off. Last season, he was dropped from the Reds side by coach Eddie Jones after turning up to training 20 minutes late.

His most recent appearance came in January, when he captained a youthful Reds line-up in a pre-season trial against the Waratahs.

Former All Blacks centre Boe admits he was surprised by Johansson's inability to crack the Queensland starting side this season, rating him as talented as Kiwi legends Frank Bunce and Walter Little.

"He's my type of inside centre," Boe said. "I like a big inside centre with a quicker outside centre. I am surprised Queensland haven't used him. It's just a matter of getting the best out of him.

"I've coached some New Zealand players as youngsters like Frank Bunce, Aaron Mauger and Walter Little and potentially he is up there with those guys, but he perhaps hasn't shown that for the Reds."

Queensland high-performance manager Ben Whitaker said the battle for Reds centre berths made it difficult for Johansson to fight back.

"It's disappointing when a talented young guy isn't getting a chance but that's the environment we live in," Whitaker said. "Berrick Barnes has also been moved to 12 so that's another hurdle in front of him."

Its a shame to see him go but better to Italy than another Aussie team. Hopefully he will play well and come back in a few years: he's only 23, dont forget!

F

formeropenside

I'm not so worried about Afu; its more the attitude of players: if I haven't made it by 21 well I'm off.

Still, if he's Tonga eligible good luck to him. I wont be too upset by seeing PI rugby get beefed up.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am quickly getting very depressed about next season. Our playing list looks shot, and we will have to pull some games out of our arse just to retain the ones we have left. One or two injuries could completely destroy the year for us, if it isn't already.

F

formeropenside

Scotty said:
I am quickly getting very depressed about next season. Our playing list looks shot, and we will have to pull some games out of our arse just to retain the ones we have left. One or two injuries could completely destroy the year for us, if it isn't already.

Yeah Scotty, when I think about the team Qld should have, and what it DOES have, I get pretty angry. So I drink.

I'd love to have Blake, Moore, Tom Court, Vedelago, Luke Doherty, Heenan, Chapman, Mowat, Pocock, Brown, Nic Berry, Matt To'omua, James O'Connor, LoJo, Andrew Brown, Drew Mitchell and Latham to choose from in selecting a team. (Huxley too, once he recoveres, and Lote, Sharpe and McIsaac if I was feeling generous, which I'm not).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As a Waratah supporter, I am not happy to see Qld rugby being decimated. I think the old adage about a strong Qld being important for Aus rugby still holds true to a degree.
I wonder whether some of these players like LoJo might have gone better if they, I don't know, APPLIED themselves a bit better, didn't turn into a slug and look for the easy money in Italy / Japan? Maybe harsh, but I really cannot understand how a professional footballer allows himself to get to the point of being washed up by 23.
Geez, if I had been offered 100-150K at the age of 22 to play rugby at that level I would have been the fittest barsteward around, or at least tried to be.

F

formeropenside

As per Noddy above:

Two Australian Under 20s sign with QR Reds

Friday, 23 May 2008

Australian Under 20 squad lock Rob Simmons and hooker James Hanson have signed with the QR Reds for 2009-10.

Hanson was a member of the QAS Reds Academy squad in 2008 and Simmons was on a one year rookie deal with the Reds. Both are members of the Australian Under 20 squad to play in the iRB Junior World Championship in Wales next month.

QRU Performance Rugby Manager Ben Whitaker said the signing of Hanson and Simmons continued the Reds? policy of bringing talented young players along a development pathway that prepares them for the rigours of professional rugby.

?Rob was part of the Reds squad this year and, although he is still very young, he?s shown us that he has the mental strength and toughness to go with his size and natural talents. With another off-season of athletic development under his belt we?d expect to see him getting some game time in Super 14 in 2009,? Whitaker said.

?James has benefited greatly from his time in the Academy and a stint with the Melbourne Rebels in last year?s Australian Rugby Championship. Coming into the Reds? squad as one of three contracted hookers, James will have the opportunity to enhance his development even further.

?Playing in the Under 20 World Championship will also be tremendously beneficial for both of them, and the Reds view this international experience as a key to their professional development,? Whitaker said.

The signings follow last week?s news that pacy centre/wing Blair Connor ? another U20 squad selection ? has graduated from the QAS Reds Academy to the full QR Reds squad on a two year deal.

Rob Simmons
Born: 19/4/89 Theodore Qld
Physical: 2m, 118kg
Club: Sunnybank
Qld Caps: 0
ARC Caps: 6 (East Coast Aces)
Rep Honours: Qld, Aust Schools 2006, Aust U19 2007, Aust U20 squad 2008

James Hanson
Born: 15/9/88 Brisbane
Physical: 1.8m, 99kg
Club: University
Qld Caps: 0
ARC Caps: 10 (Melbourne Rebels)
Rep Honours: Qld, Aust Schools 2005, QAS U19 2006, Aust U19 2006, 2007, Aust U20 squad 2008

Note that the press release talks of "One of three contracted hookers" which implies that Ole Avei has been released as well as Geoff Abram. What does that mean for Uncle Digby?

Also - why oh why did we acquire the Fainga'a twins again?

Still short an openside too: if I were Abram I'd be asking Wests to play me at 7 and seeing that as my best shot of getting a Reds jersey back. Luafutu is versatile but not quite a fetcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.